Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Zbierka na Oravasky Hrad - Collection at Orava Castle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Gates

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Zbierka na Oravasky Hrad - Collection at Orava Castle         Reply with quote

Came across this while on our family visit to Slovakia.

Interesting tour notes. According to the guide, the canon took 30 minutes to load and fire. The walls were 4 to 7 metres thick and Orava was never defeated. The great sword display is very interesting, defenders were paid extra to carry these beasts and as a result, their life expectancy was just 3 hours.

Na zdravie

Mark

Attachment: 36.03 KB
HRAD1.jpg

Attachment: 42.82 KB
HRAD2.jpg

Attachment: 33.8 KB
2012-07-20 13.32.52.jpg

Last edited by Mark Gates on Mon 23 Jul, 2012 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Arek Przybylok

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

https://picasaweb.google.com/116379070585776810685/OravskyHrad
More photos
But I doubt if they are originals.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Weren't there any hungarian weapons? I saw the castle just from outside on the way to Poland, but it's looking awsome.

Zoltán
Mark Gates

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was difficult to photograph everything as you are herded round by the tour guide. She would unlock one door and lock another behind her preventing anyone going back to take photos.

The Hungarian empire was master of the castle on and off such as the Palatine, Leustach of Jelsava, so I would say that there are certainly weapons of Hungarian origin. Check out Arek's earlier reply, the link shows more than I managed to get.

The picture here, taken in the citadel, shows roman or celtic artifacts found nearby.

Attachment: 62.44 KB
IMAG0272.jpg

Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin I couldn't figure out who the hell that Jelsava was! Than I've recognized, that he was probably Ilosvai Leusták. Laughing Out Loud

The castle after the early 1300's just became a military role in the late ottoman wars, during the uprising of Imre Thököly, in the 1680's. I guess this is the main reason of the lack of weapons.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbierka na Oravasky Hrad - Collection at Orava Castle         Reply with quote

Mark Gates wrote:
Came across this while on our family visit to Slovakia.

Interesting tour notes. According to the guide, the canon took 30 minutes to load and fire.

Mark

The canon carriage at least looks 17th/18th century and although it's hard to know it's exact size it doesn't look like a huge siege gun.

Loading this cannon would or shouldn't take 30 minutes, more like 1 minute or less with bagged gunpowder and canon ball.

The huge siege cannons of the late 14th and 15th centuries firing stone balls up to 2 or 3 feet in diameter would be slow to load just based on the weight of the projectile and I think early on the power was mixed from components on site and these huge canons might fire only once or twice a day.

Even when the collections are originals the " guides " giving the tours may be using a script more sensationalistic than accurate either for the benefit of tourism or in some case repeating mis-information or old discredited 19th century theories passed along from one generation of museum guides to the next ...... just guessing here and speculating.

In other words take what the guide was saying with a grain of salt. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark Gates

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Even when the collections are originals the " guides " giving the tours may be using a script more sensationalistic

Jean, I couldnt agree more with questionable tour guide knowledge. The canon in the picture is quite small, there is a triple canon next to this one, which probably was a handful to operate in its day.

I recall the tour guide saying that because of the powder all over the place and the canon having to be pulled back to load then moved into place, aimed and fired took the aledged 30 minutes. She also mentioned because of the recoil, the canon would often take out the canoneers legs, which would call for a replacement operator. All interesting points but as for accuracy, who knows?

Mark

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Zbierka na Oravasky Hrad - Collection at Orava Castle
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic