Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: G2 Dordogne and A&A Custom Dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Crusader Monk: G2 Dordogne and A&A Custom Dagger         Reply with quote

Got these in earlier in the week and finished them up today.

The sword is a Generation 2 (Legacy Arms) Dordogne. The scabbard was decent, so the customer left it as is. We went with a simple angled frog suspension with a decorative celtic concho (to match the belt) and forward facing lacing. The grip of the Dordogne needed an ovehaul, so I re-wrapped it in pigskin and bound with cord for a nice textured feel in the hand. I added a central riser to the waisted grip and bloused the ends of the wrap to cover the steel bands and at top and bottom - giving the appearance of two more risers. All in all an improvement.

The dagger is a custom A&A with 12.5" blade. The scabbard is poplar covered in full grain leather with decorative risers. The chape with finial is forged from mild steel. The suspension is a simple laced frog.

The belt was done to the customer's request and is decorated in celtic cross conchos with alternating rows of antique brass rivets. The customer wanted something more flashy than a regular belt, so this one does the trick. There is enough slack in the belt for the customer to do a knightly knot which will accent the tip's concho.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice job on the Dordogne handle upgrade, I have a Dordogne and I also re-did the handle as these are fairly nice swords in need of a " facelift ". Wink Big Grin Cool

Good idea to hide the metal bands as it looks more historically correct but I sort of left mine visible and also cold blued the guard and pommel, satin finished the blade on mine as I didn't like the original close to mirror polish.

( Don't know about other Generation 2 Dordognes but the heat treat on mine is very good ).

Gave it a waisted look but mostly this with a thick and wide riser but didn't really reduce the diameter of the grip on the pommel side of the riser: Did you reduce this diameter ? Just curious.

The belt also looks really attractive.

Attachment: 119.85 KB
IMG_0197.JPG

Attachment: 118 KB
IMG_0198.JPG

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J. Hargis

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword and dagger shown here are mine. I expect delivery from J. E. next week.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nice job on the Dordogne handle upgrade, I have a Dordogne and I also re-did the handle as these are fairly nice swords in need of a " facelift ". ...

Jean:
It was your favorable views previously expressed here at myArmoury concerning the G2 Dordogne which convinced me to purchase it. I definitely realized before ordering it that it would need the "facelift". The suede wrap was just a bit much. Besides the re-wrap, frog, a different chape, J. E. did a slight finish makeover to bring down the shine. It is a surprisingly nice sword for the bucks. I don't recall precisely, but I know it was under $300 from Kult of Athena a few months ago.

www.crusadermonk.com is the way to go for an amazing scabbard, belt, suspension, you name it without spending a lot of money. J. E. really works with you to give you value with a myriad of options. Many folks with high end Albions, A & As, etc. have their scabbards done there, check out the website.

Thanks for posting the pics, J. E., I'm looking forward to seeing the entire set back home. Both the sword and dagger have been transformed.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Hargis wrote:

Jean:
It was your favorable views previously expressed here at myArmoury concerning the G2 Dordogne which convinced me to purchase it. I definitely realized before ordering it that it would need the "facelift". The suede wrap was just a bit much. Besides the re-wrap, frog, a different chape, J. E. did a slight finish makeover to bring down the shine. It is a surprisingly nice sword for the bucks. I don't recall precisely, but I know it was under $300 from Kult of Athena a few months ago.

www.crusadermonk.com is the way to go for an amazing scabbard, belt, suspension, you name it without spending a lot of money. J. E. really works with you to give you value with a myriad of options. Many folks with high end Albions, A & As, etc. have their scabbards done there, check out the website

Jon

Glad you liked the G2 Dordogne and let us know your opinion about it's handling, maybe in a new Review Topic thread to not derail this Topic. My Dordogne is an earlier version before they lightened and improved the shape of the guard to be closer to the historical originals

Sounds like a good place to have a scabbard made in a reasonable amount of time and at an affordable amount with a lot of the perks of it being custom wok.

Being in Canada I would probably be more interested in a " swordless " scabbard making process since I really don't like shipping a sword I already have across borders, but with swords with very predictable dimensions like an Albion or an A&A one can take the chance of having a scabbard made without sending the sword if the scabbard maker has a pattern or has access to the same model sword ..... maybe making it slightly oversized just in case. Wink

There is also the option of having a newly purchased sword shipped to the scabbard maker, and this is a good solution unless the maker has a very long turn around time.

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, gents! Happy

@ Jean: I can do and have done quite a few swordless orders without difficulty. You'd have to do the blade tracing and make me a photocopy of the hilt (so I can transpose the guard shape) - remit these to me via slug mail, and you'd have a scabbard within 2 weeks. The fit is not as perfect, but it would be pretty darn close. Happy

Another thing of note: Soon, you will be able to commission a Crusader Monk scabbard from Kult of Athena for any sword they have in stock - though this will be in the future at a yet to be determined time. The sword would come to my shop, then onward to you once completed - typically in 7-10 business days. Happy

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
J. Hargis

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. E. Sarge said:
Quote:
Another thing of note: Soon, you will be able to commission a Crusader Monk scabbard from Kult of Athena for any sword they have in stock - though this will be in the future at a yet to be determined time. The sword would come to my shop, then onward to you once completed - typically in 7-10 business days.

Good going J.E., that arrangement has excellent potential for crusadermonk. It's also quite flattering that KOA would make that deal with you. They do quite a business. And just think of all the various pieces you'll get to handle. Best of luck with that venture.

I also have an Albion 'Prince' on order and will endeavor to get Albion to give me a tracing of the sword to send to you for a scabbard. I don't know if you have done a 'Prince' before and have the dimensions, which I assume are fairly consistent.

Jean, always a pleasure reading your informative posts which are all over myArmoury.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, gents! Happy

@ Jean: I can do and have done quite a few swordless orders without difficulty. You'd have to do the blade tracing and make me a photocopy of the hilt (so I can transpose the guard shape) - remit these to me via slug mail, and you'd have a scabbard within 2 weeks. The fit is not as perfect, but it would be pretty darn close. Happy

Another thing of note: Soon, you will be able to commission a Crusader Monk scabbard from Kult of Athena for any sword they have in stock - though this will be in the future at a yet to be determined time. The sword would come to my shop, then onward to you once completed - typically in 7-10 business days. Happy

Going through Kult of Athena is a very attractive option for me when I buy a sword from them and it simplifies the logistics a great deal for getting a scabbard for it. ( Although KoA currently offers a basic all leather scabbard that is well made, a wooden core scabbard upgraded with a belt and a suspension system would be a nice upgrade ).

So would one order a sword from Kult of Athena, select the option of having a scabbard made by you, and when you received it the client would get in touch with you to discuss the design ? ( May be a premature question as you and Ryan may not have decided yet how how to structure the ordering process yet )

I have no immediate plans to purchase a new sword at this time, but I will certainly remember this Topic when I do. Big Grin Cool Or if I want to go the swordless commission route with a sword I already have or from another source.

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Various things have been discussed, but the way the process would work is similar to how you stated. You'd add your sword to your cart, then select the scabbard option. At that point, you would be able to select from pre-defined options, colors, suspension type, etc. The sword would then come to me, I would complete the requested work, and send the sword onward to you.

Further options would be available upon request from the customer and billed seperately if they wanted something more complex or an option which was not listed.

But, as I have said, this has been discussed, but it's something which is always subject to change and is not currently on a set timeline. It is being worked on though. I'll update when further information becomes available. Happy

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: G2 Dordogne and A&A Custom Dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic