Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical Grip & Scabbard Colors for Militant Orders? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Robert B. Marks wrote:
Forgive me for weighing in so late - I've been busy becoming a university student again, and haven't had as much time for swords as I would prefer - but it may be an idea to try to find some contemporary pictoral representations of the Templars and Hospitallers and see what colour their sword grips are. You'd probably get a decent idea from that of what to look for.

Best to all,

Robert Marks

Not a bad idea but there is only one contemporary image I know of from the Teutonic Knights and only one for the Templars. The Hospitallers are harder to gauge because "contemporary" for them runs anywhere up to and including today. The Knights of Malta fought a great deal against the Ottomans. That aside, the Teutonic knight didn't have a weapon on him in the picture which is from a relatively famous Codex of the 13th century.

You've got to figure, though, considering they became the bankers of Europe at one point, that the Templars were better represented in visual art than that. The question is just of where to find them (regrettably, I don't have too many resources on my shelves in regards to the Templars).

Best to all,

Robert Marks

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Marks wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
Robert B. Marks wrote:
Forgive me for weighing in so late - I've been busy becoming a university student again, and haven't had as much time for swords as I would prefer - but it may be an idea to try to find some contemporary pictoral representations of the Templars and Hospitallers and see what colour their sword grips are. You'd probably get a decent idea from that of what to look for.

Best to all,

Robert Marks

Not a bad idea but there is only one contemporary image I know of from the Teutonic Knights and only one for the Templars. The Hospitallers are harder to gauge because "contemporary" for them runs anywhere up to and including today. The Knights of Malta fought a great deal against the Ottomans. That aside, the Teutonic knight didn't have a weapon on him in the picture which is from a relatively famous Codex of the 13th century.

You've got to figure, though, considering they became the bankers of Europe at one point, that the Templars were better represented in visual art than that. The question is just of where to find them (regrettably, I don't have too many resources on my shelves in regards to the Templars).

Best to all,

Robert Marks

Most of the period artwork I've seen of Templars shows them in non-military attire. The few that I've seen that show them under arms don't really show any distinctive features that would allow for a definitive assessment.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Robert B. Marks wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Best to all,

Robert Marks

Most of the period artwork I've seen of Templars shows them in non-military attire. The few that I've seen that show them under arms don't really show any distinctive features that would allow for a definitive assessment.

I did my own search of some of the resources in my own library, without success. I've got some period depictions of Templars in battle et al., but they're either holding spears/lances with no swords even present, or they're holding one-handed swords, and their hands cover up all of the hilt.

However, William Marshall seems to have been a prominent Templar - perhaps if we can find a period depiction of him after he's joined the order, we might have some luck there...

Best to all,

Robert Marks

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Marks wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Robert B. Marks wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Best to all,

Robert Marks

I did my own search of some of the resources in my own library, without success. I've got some period depictions of Templars in battle et al., but they're either holding spears/lances with no swords even present, or they're holding one-handed swords, and their hands cover up all of the hilt.

However, William Marshall seems to have been a prominent Templar - perhaps if we can find a period depiction of him after he's joined the order, we might have some luck there...

Best to all,

Robert Marks

I have an entire biography of him that as yet remains unread. I should get cracking I guess!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical Grip & Scabbard Colors for Militant Orders?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: