Scottish Rapiers
I'm working on building a Scottish civilian kit for the 1600-1610-ish era and was wondering if there has been any known evidence to suggest that rapiers could have been carried by some Scots? Most of the information I find on weaponry from that region and time deals with claymores and dirks. I'm currently making my own dirk, but I was just toying around with the idea of carrying a sword other than the basket hilt variety. Bear in mind that the persona is a fairly well off dye merchant.
Hmmm..I have absolutely no knowledge of what would have actually been "normal" for merchants in Scotland at the time. But I feel that a Dye Merchant..if fairly well off or prosperous, would have had many Continental contacts and commercial dealings. As dyes form such an important part of fashion, I suspect he'd try to be "fashionable". A rapier, of some style or other would have been a def fashion accessory. Just how his local scottish bretheren would have taken to a rapier is another matter :)
Certainly, especially in the Lowlands. In terms of fashion and culture, the Lowlanders were closer to the English than were their Highland brethren. But a wealthy or noble Highlander would also be familiar with English and Continental styles.
Although they are from a bit later time period, check out some William Hope (a 17th century Scottish fencing master) or Donald McBane (all-around badass) for some info on Scottish fencing, geared towards rapier and smallsword as well as broadsword (Mark Rector's Highland Swordsmanship is probably the most accessible work on these old masters).
Here is an image from the archives here that shows an English rapier mounted with a carved grip similar to many Dirk designs. The accompanying text claims the sword was made for a Scottish client.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....mp;pos=289
Page 23 of Osprey's "The Border Reivers" show a 2 port rapier with branching inner guard (Norman type 4 ish) reportedly found in the wall of a house in Cumbria. Personally I see no reason why a wealth Scot would not carry such a weapon.

There are some of portraits of King James 6th with rapier, If the King is doing it, it has to be styling.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Nice pic of King James playing with his rapier. (Yes, double entendre intended!)
There is a poem about the ascension of James to the English crown (and the Scots he brought with him). One line is about the Scots exchanging their weapons for rapiers. I will try and find the whole poem.
James VI and I was no friend of the highlanders and the culture of the Gaels and visited Scotland only once after his ascension to the English throne. He made a major step towards dismantling the Gaelic culture with the Statutes of Iona and the settlements of Lewis by protestants. In developing your persona, you need to decide where your loyalties are. As for swords, there seem to by many styles of hilts in paintings of Scottish nobility. But what kind of blades are they on?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: