Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Christian Fletcherized AT1520 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: My new Christian Fletcherized AT1520         Reply with quote

Just got a package from Christian Fletcher this week: My new upgraded AT1520. It is almost the same upgrade as the one that James Byrnes reviewed here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_cf_at1520.html

I actually didn't mean for it to have the exact same pommel, I'd told Christian something Talhofferesque, or even T-4esque, and this pommel works for that, so I'm not at all complaining. The pommel is very well made and the grip feels fantastic in the hands. The scabbard, as always, is top notch.

Unfortunately I'm having issues with my camera, so I've only got this one photo that Christian sent me.

Attachment: 68.61 KB
AT1520.jpg

Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My new Christian Fletcherized AT1520         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Just got a package from Christian Fletcher this week: My new upgraded AT1520. It is almost the same upgrade as the one that James Byrnes reviewed here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_cf_at1520.html

I actually didn't mean for it to have the exact same pommel, I'd told Christian something Talhofferesque, or even T-4esque, and this pommel works for that, so I'm not at all complaining. The pommel is very well made and the grip feels fantastic in the hands. The scabbard, as always, is top notch.

Unfortunately I'm having issues with my camera, so I've only got this one photo that Christian sent me.

Looks great so far...

... but more pics would be pretty cool Wink

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Christian Fletcherized AT1520         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

... but more pics would be pretty cool Wink

Yeah, I know! But not until I get a working camera, unfortunately.

Though it does look very much like the one James reviewed. Different guard, different color scheme, and the fittings aren't blackened, but otherwise very similar.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sword Bill. I like the contrasting color choices. I really like what Christian's doing with his Atrim upgrades.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Very nice sword Bill. I like the contrasting color choices. I really like what Christian's doing with his Atrim upgrades.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. The grip is purple, the scabbard a slightly redder shade of purple, and the belt is oxblood. I purchased this as a blunt for use. It did require some serious filing down of the tip after I got it, and the edge is thinner than what a lot of groups would prefer in a blunt. For my group, though, it works great (after I filed the tip down, anyway). I've put it to good use already, and I'm loving it.

By the way, having to file the tip down seems to be normal when requesting a typically sharp sword as a blunt. My Sovereign came with a nice, wide blunt edge, but with a wickedly sharp tip. I imagine it's simply that the sword's blade has been programmed to have a certain profile, and that's the profile you get. But with a good file and a vice, it only takes a few minutes to fix that issue, and for my purposes I'd rather have a "blunt sharp" than a heavy blunt. Naturally, it all depends on how you and your group train, though.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A purple grip? I like that even better. It looks blue in the photo.

I'm really getting into these late medieval gothic style longswords lately. I think I'm reading too much Talhoffer Big Grin

Nice.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I'm really getting into these late medieval gothic style longswords lately. I think I'm reading too much Talhoffer Big Grin

Nice.

You don't know the power of the Dark Side, Patrick. Forever will it dominate your destiny!

I've been obsessed with Gothic longswords ever since I first saw ATrim's original Swedish Bastard Sword. Big Grin

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Christian Fletcherized AT1520
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic