Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Polearm ProjectDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
It's possible, but difficult, to drill straight through and out the opposite langet hole. There's no need to do that. Simply drill as straight as possible to the middle of the haft through each langet hole. Those pilot holes will meet in the middle neatly enough to guide a nail through, even if it has to bend a small amount.

Good tip there, I think I will find use for it eventually for some project or other. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Cole B

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you both for all the info, I would definitely be lost without you guys.

As far as nailing the langets - I am a bit worried the langets might come slightly uneven at this price point, so I'm planning all my options as far as that goes.

Interesting about the tacks - did they ever use glue to fix heads into sockets?

Through trial and error I found that they come out best if you hammer on them with a ball peen hammer -before- cleaning the rust off. Cleaning under the heads is annoying though.

Should have a butt cap from KOA in a few days, which should be a good tutorial for mounting the actual head, I'll post some pictures when I do that.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

mount the nails as drill bits (just the tip in the clamping mechanism,) lock the drill on and just hold a piece of sandpaper against the shaft of the nail. it will be clean in a flash. this works perfectly for polishing decorative bolt heads, too.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Cole B

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, the shaft is no problem, the underside of the head is just a bit hard to get at, especially since it's a bit uneven and bent due to my creative smashing on the top. I put them in a bit of wd40 and it seems to have done the trick, just don't want to leave any rust in there once they're attached.
Cole B

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Small update to show my amateur job. My conclusion is that rasping is damn hard and I can see why people invented power tools. I need to restain the end.

Here's the butt cap semi-mounted - I found out hammering it down actually secures it a little -too- well, I did it to test the fit and had a crazy hard time getting it off.

(Note: it came with a very nice satin finish and all the gunk on it is because I was beginning the antiquing process when I decided to fit it to the pole)

If anyone is curious about the construction of these, the cap has a solid end and the tapering socket section (which is welded to close the circle) is welded on to that, so it's quite hefty.

Next update: Finishing the antiquing, drilling a hole for the nail, and final mounting. Plus someday the head if Hanwei/GDFB sends their looked for shipment.
Roberto Banfi

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cole B wrote:
My conclusion is that rasping is damn hard and I can see why people invented power tools.

+1

did the same job on my own hafted voulge some months ago... very time consuming
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roberto Banfi wrote:
Cole B wrote:
My conclusion is that rasping is damn hard and I can see why people invented power tools.

+1

did the same job on my own hafted voulge some months ago... very time consuming

But the fun is in doing it by hand. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can work a little faster and rough out the shape using a draw knife, a small hand plane or a spokeshave which is like a draw knife and a plane with an adjustable blade.

When you get close to final dimension finish with a rasp or a very rough round file that cuts very aggressively.

A lot of sand and fit, sand and fit, when you are really very close to final dimensions.

By the way Cole the fit looks very good and the step nice and square to the long axis of the shaft: A nice fit at the joint is the hardest thing to do well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokeshave
http://www.google.ca/search?q=spokeshave&...p;bih=1000
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=...0&ap=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUux8RBdrOY

Cole B

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, I know there are tools to work faster but I wanted to go slow and steady as it were. With the cost of shipping poles like that it's not something I wanted to mess up.

I also left the surface of the wood rough and 'rasped' rather than sanding because I read JB Weld holds better on a rough surface.

There you have it. Not pretty but it'll do.

I drilled a one-sided hole in the butt-cap because I was concerned about getting two drilled evenly with each other, and I knew the tight fit + JB weld would be plenty anyway. Then I waited for it to set and drilled the smaller guide hole for my chopped down nail. I think it'd take a chainsaw to get it off at this point.

The distressing didn't take nearly as much as I expected it to, since I let it have 3 days completely covered in rust. I sanded the crap out of it when it first came but I'm guessing I didn't get all the lacquer off. I can always redo it later and tape up the shaft but I was eager to get it mounted.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even with just epoxy and a tight fit the spear butt would be secure, one reason to add the nail is to give it the appearance of a period assembly where a nail might have been considered in many cases the main way to secure a spear butt.

And I like the double security of adhesive and nail and the way it looks. Wink Big Grin Cool

It is also not going to fall off easily to say the least. Wink Big Grin Cool

Even smooth the epoxy would be secure but a slightly rough surface is probably a good idea: Another thing I do it I use a file to roughen the inside of the steel socket and make sure that there wasn't some left over grease inside the socket.

Again, nice job.

( EDITED TYPO: Wrote round but meant rough. We many times see what we intended to write when proof reading rather than what is actually written and I try to correct these things when I spot them later using the " E " edit function. At times it's completely my fault and at times it's caused by mis-use of a spellcheck program and accidentally choosing the wrong offered choice when doing a correction. This is sort of an aside and Off Topic but a little bit of proof reading and using a spellcheck is something many should consider to at least catch the worst of the typos ..... I still get many get past me even with multiple re-reads. Sad ).

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sun 01 Jul, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cole B

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean! After asking like 10 dealers who all said no one has them, I found a place in the UK that has them in stock. The exchange rate and shipping hurts a bit but at this point I want to finish it before I head off to college. So, there could be some final progress pretty soon if nothing goes wrong.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cole B wrote:
Thanks Jean! After asking like 10 dealers who all said no one has them, I found a place in the UK that has them in stock. The exchange rate and shipping hurts a bit but at this point I want to finish it before I head off to college. So, there could be some final progress pretty soon if nothing goes wrong.

Glad you found the halberd head you where intending this pole for: Would probably have driven you crazy having a half finished project.

Quote:
Jean, I know there are tools to work faster but I wanted to go slow and steady as it were. With the cost of shipping poles like that it's not something I wanted to mess up.

Oh, forgot to mention that the hand tools I suggested, rather than just using a rasp, are not just to make the work easier and faster, with the risks of working too fast and ruining the work: Most of these tools have adjustable depth of shavings cut and you don't lose anything in control after a little bit of practice.

Now power tools can very quickly ruin work by taking off material very fast. Wink Big Grin Cool

Cole B

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Halberd head came today, couple in progress pics and my first impressions of the product.

Quite the adventure doing it with minimal tools.

First off, some info about the head for anyone who might be curious.

(I'm guessing the green I'm getting is a reaction with lacquer or grease - I sanded it quite a bit with water but whatever)

It came blunt and rounded on all points, which is pretty good because I would have killed myself about thirty times while pulling it on and off the pole trying to get the fit right.

The overall construction is sturdy - it's basically a solid piece with the halberd shape cut out of it. Not sure how the socket was formed, I'll have to look more closely for welds tomorrow.

The langets seem well attached and sturdy - not sure if they're welded on or what. Not nearly as wide as they looked in the pictures, which I was a bit worried about. They're aligned with each other, a bit bendy in and out but going to be fastened down anyway. The drill holes line up with their corresponding holes but not with the ones further up or down the langets.

The socket is the biggest downside - the inside is pretty crude and uneven so fitting the haft to it was a hassle. With the langets and shape it would be difficult to thoroughly clean up. I spent a lot of time just experimentally working the wood to see if I could get it further in. Definitely the price point showing up.

Last comment on it - size-wise I'd say it's not as reported (dealers list it as for a 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 shaft) but the socket it self is a bit under an inch wide. I had to take a lot of wood off my 1.25 pole, just don't expect to drop it right on if you use a pole that size.

I sanded and re-stained the pole since it had taken a bit of a beating during the fitting process for the butt-cap and head. I should have left it plain and stained it at the end but having the pole for so long before the other pieces, etc etc.

Tomorrow is final fitting of the head with JB weld and getting the langet nails in and peened, and finished pictures.
Steve Shimmer

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished job, and can sympathise with the difficulties you've had with fitting the head.

I fortunately had a rubber safety cap to hand when working on my pollaxe. These things were designed to kill folks, so pulling the head off to fix something can be a little dangerous, and it would be just just plain embarrassing to get impaled on your own polearm.
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a very interesting project so far. I was thinking about doing the same thing, though also grinding down and rounding off the points, in order to make a halberd trainer. That's very insightful about the inside of the socket, thanks for taking one for the team in that regard. Razz However, it kind of sucks to hear that the GDFB halberd head is in such short supply, I wish I had ordered one years ago now. Worried

Good luck with finishing this, I really look forward to seeing the result.
Cole B

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon Wolfe wrote:
This is a very interesting project so far. I was thinking about doing the same thing, though also grinding down and rounding off the points, in order to make a halberd trainer. That's very insightful about the inside of the socket, thanks for taking one for the team in that regard. Razz However, it kind of sucks to hear that the GDFB halberd head is in such short supply, I wish I had ordered one years ago now. Worried

Good luck with finishing this, I really look forward to seeing the result.

Southern Swords should have them in stock still, but honestly I'd say it's not worth the price after the currency conversion and shipping if you don't live in the UK. I was just really into the project and wanted to finish so I overpaid.

The socket isn't godawful - the lighting I used to take the picture kind of exaggerated it. I think it's just the method of construction - the butt cap I ordered is also Hanwei and the inside was very uniform and nice. Of course if I ordered a more expensive one from a higher quality maker I'm sure it would be very different.

I dripped JB weld into it as well as on the wood part and I think that should be fine. Getting the langets nailed was time consuming but not too difficult - stupid me putting my nails in backwards and having to take them out (I wanted the original heads all on one side).

Tools you might want if you do a project like this that I didn't have -
    Bolt cutter for the nails, doing it with a multitool hurts your hands
    More grades of sandpaper with macrograin for sure + optional power sander
    Stuff to strip off grease/lacquer
    Rat tail file to file rounded surfaces
    A plane or spokeshave to take off large and even amounts of wood
    A clamp to hold the langets right where you want them when you drill or do other things
    Calipers if you want your fits and dimensions to be very exact and neat

Some touch up stain is currently drying, I'll have some pictures later.
Cole B

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sun went down so I couldn't do anything cool but I snapped a few.

Flaws, flaws everywhere! It's hard to not be super critical of your own work.

Wait, I know..it's munitions grade!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Cole B"]
Jon Wolfe wrote:

The socket isn't godawful - the lighting I used to take the picture kind of exaggerated it. I think it's just the method of construction - the butt cap I ordered is also Hanwei and the inside was very uniform and nice. Of course if I ordered a more expensive one from a higher quality maker I'm sure it would be very different.

Actually I think that Butt Cap is by Windlass ( In fact 100% sure, as I use them all the time for walking sticks. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool ).

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...r+Butt+Cap

This one by Hanwei is part of a set of lance head and butt cap: The steel seems stainless but the heat treat is very good as these ruined a couple of drill bits trying to make nail holes in them.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Lance+Head

These are smaller in size and probably too small for your Halberd but would be great for a spear butt.

I also use these for walking sticks and being stainless are better for outdoor Winter use because of corrosive road salt.

Nice job on the halberd: I assume that you are leaving it blunt because sharpening the mounted head would be " difficult ", but not impossible, using hand tools like files, diamond hones and or carbide sharpeners.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+Sharpener

Sharp polearms are challenging/scary to have around. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Even blunted ones can be dangerous for use in training unless using a great deal of control even if armoured as they have the mass to do a lot of damage like a mace ? Even hard rubber heads on polearms of equal weigh or mass can do nasty things if people assume that they are safe to use at full power.

Cole B

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're right on the butt cap - bit of a brain fart after considering the Hanwei lance head.

I have a spyderco sharpmaker and some files but the amount of work it would take to put an edge on it is a bit much. I think I'd need a grinder to consider it. The halberd blade has a somewhat tapering edge but the top and back spike are both completely blunt, the same thickness as the center of the piece. So it would be a lot of reshaping.

Safety wise I think it may be a good idea to keep it blunt, at least until I get a very secure mounting for it. Right now it's up against my wall and I'd be worried about a pet bumping it and decapitating somebody. Plus as you said, a sharp polearm is extremely difficult to train with.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cole B wrote:
Plus as you said, a sharp polearm is extremely difficult to train with.

It also looks fairly good for a blunt without big and lumpy point bulges used on polearms intended to be used in reenacting battles where simulated weapons sacrifice a lot of their aesthetics to safety ..... well. relative safety. Wink

I've left a few of my swords blunt that came that way like a few Del Tins as I know I could always sharpen them if I wanted to and they still look like sharps from a few feet away: Actually they are not so much blunts as being 2mm unsharpened blades.

Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! I certainly wouldn't use it as a sparring tool, but with appropriately blunted edges and rounded points, one could us it for solo work and partner drills. The only thing different I would do is us a more squared shaft, with beveled corners.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Polearm ProjectDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: