CAn anyone help me identify this helmet/mask?
Hi - I don't know if anyone can help. I have an old leather and metal helmet which I have always thought was a fencing or kendo mask. It is constructed from a hard hide/leather over a metal cage with soft leather/suede padding. Inside there is an adjustable (drawstring) at the top of the head. Leather neck protection below. I wouild love to know a bit more about it - can anyone help?[img][/img]

Attachment: 238.61 KB
MASK_FRONT.jpg

It's definitely not a kendo men, the design used today is more or less the same that's been in use since the 19th century. The mesh is too large for epee or foil fencing, it wouldn't offer the required protection from thrusts to the face from such a thin weapon. I believe it to be a late 19th/early 20th century military mask for sparring with the bayonet and saber. The U.S. and all European countries used slightly different styles but with the same basic features as your mask here. I'm not sure what country or exact year its from though. Hope I could help, sorry for being vague. Try searching for "broadsword fencing mask" as I believe that's what they were known as at the time, at least in the U.S.
It looks like a victorian sabre/singlestick mask to me. something similar to the ones here: http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopi...mp;t=13525.

Neil

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: