Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Back-Up Weapon for the Zombie Apocalypse Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Steve Shimmer

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread is making me want to watch more "Zombie go boom" on Youtube.
Paul Greathouse

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have a pic on me, but I'd have to go boar spear. You could pop through a head with that and keep them back at a safe distance. Its quick too.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These "zombie" topics always get a bunch of traffic. Wink

Well, I guess I'm adding to it. . . . .
Ahmad Tabari

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.....A good warmblood is your best weapon in case of a zombie outbreak. The first thing I would do if the dead rise is make my way to a stud farm and get the best mount I can find. A horse would be an essential tool of survival for two reasons. First, most of the oil in gas stations would be drained within a couple of hours of such an outbreak and so a horse would be a much more reliable method of transportation (no risk of getting swarmed while filling your car in a seemingly abandoned station). But more relevant to this forum, should you run out of ammo, you can use your melee weapons in a far more effective and efficient manner when mounted. Not anyone can behead a corpse with one blow from his sword, but when approaching a zombie at full gallop with a drawn sword.....you get the picture. And of course a good horse (ideally an Andalusian in such a circumstance) can also extricate you out of a tight spot should the walking dead begin to swarm you.

P.S. For those wondering why I would prefer an Andalusian in such a circumstance, it is because they combine the weight and size needed to punch through swarms of zombies as well as much needed speed and maneuvrability.
Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rick's horse was not so lucky.

Ahmad Tabari

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haha true. But it was not an Andalusian either Wink
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
tand we DONT have such parasitic animals in nature, not yet anyway.

you sure about that?

Quote:
Like other fungi pathogenic to insects in the Ophiocordyceps genus, O. unilateralis targets a specific host species; which is ideally the Camponotus leonardi ant, but has been known to parasitize other closely related species of ants with lesser degrees of host manipulation and reproductive success.[2]

The fungus's spores enter the body of the insect likely through the cuticle by enzymatic activity, where they begin to consume the non-vital soft tissues. Yeast stages of the fungus spread in the ant's body and presumably produce compounds that affect the ant's brain and change its behaviour by unknown mechanisms, causing the insect to climb up the stem of a plant and use its mandibles to secure itself to the plant. Infected ants bite the leaf veins with abnormal force, leaving telltale dumbbell-shaped marks. A search through plant fossil databases revealed similar marks on a fossil leaf from the Messel pit which is 48 million years old.[5][6]

The fungus then kills the ant, and continues to grow as its mycelia invade more soft tissues and structurally fortify the ant's exoskeleton.[2] More mycelia then sprout out of the ant, and securely anchor it to the plant substrate while secreting antimicrobials to ward off competition.[2] When the fungus is ready to reproduce, its fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head and rupture, releasing the spores. This process takes 4 to 10 days.[2]

The changes in the behavior of the infected ants are very specific, giving rise to the term zombie ants, and tuned for the benefit of the fungus. The ants generally clamp to a leaf's vein about 25 cm above the ground, on the northern side of the plant, in an environment with 94-95% humidity and temperatures between 20 and 30 °C. According to David Hughes, "You can find whole graveyards with 20 or 30 ants in a square metre. Each time, they are on leaves that are a particular height off the ground and they have bitten into the main vein [of a leaf] before dying".[7] When the dead ants are repositioned in various other situations, further vegetative growth and sporulation either fails to occur or results in undersized and abnormal reproductive structures.

also the ants know about saving themselves from the infected

Quote:
O. unilateralis has been known to destroy entire ant colonies. In response, ants have evolved the ability to sense that a member of the colony is infected; healthy ants will carry the dying one far away from the colony in order to avoid fungal spore exposure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

also
http://youtu.be/XuKjBIBBAL8

Last edited by Mick Jarvis on Fri 08 Jun, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roderick Stacey wrote:
Rick's horse was not so lucky.

well it did say "do not enter"
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, since in Australia one can basically rule out a firearm for us suburbanites, I think that I would have to go for the noble, tough, ingeniously conceived, with graceful curves and a lot of versatility...
Crowbar Laughing Out Loud

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mick Jarvis wrote:
William P wrote:

you sure about that?

Quote:
Like other fungi pathogenic to insects in the Ophiocordyceps genus, O. unilateralis targets a specific host species; which is ideally the Camponotus leonardi ant, but has been known to parasitize other closely related species of ants with lesser degrees of host manipulation and reproductive success.[2]

The fungus's spores enter the body of the insect likely through the cuticle by enzymatic activity, where they begin to consume the non-vital soft tissues. Yeast stages of the fungus spread in the ant's body and presumably produce compounds that affect the ant's brain and change its behaviour by unknown mechanisms, causing the insect to climb up the stem of a plant and use its mandibles to secure itself to the plant. Infected ants bite the leaf veins with abnormal force, leaving telltale dumbbell-shaped marks. A search through plant fossil databases revealed similar marks on a fossil leaf from the Messel pit which is 48 million years old.[5][6]

The fungus then kills the ant, and continues to grow as its mycelia invade more soft tissues and structurally fortify the ant's exoskeleton.[2] More mycelia then sprout out of the ant, and securely anchor it to the plant substrate while secreting antimicrobials to ward off competition.[2] When the fungus is ready to reproduce, its fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head and rupture, releasing the spores. This process takes 4 to 10 days.[2]

The changes in the behavior of the infected ants are very specific, giving rise to the term zombie ants, and tuned for the benefit of the fungus. The ants generally clamp to a leaf's vein about 25 cm above the ground, on the northern side of the plant, in an environment with 94-95% humidity and temperatures between 20 and 30 °C. According to David Hughes, "You can find whole graveyards with 20 or 30 ants in a square metre. Each time, they are on leaves that are a particular height off the ground and they have bitten into the main vein [of a leaf] before dying".[7] When the dead ants are repositioned in various other situations, further vegetative growth and sporulation either fails to occur or results in undersized and abnormal reproductive structures.

Quote:
O. unilateralis has been known to destroy entire ant colonies. In response, ants have evolved the ability to sense that a member of the colony is infected; healthy ants will carry the dying one far away from the colony in order to avoid fungal spore exposure

also

To go further, go read about Toxoplamosis and what it does to the infected hosts. Normally rats are instinctually afraid of the smell of cat urine, for obvious reasons. However, once a rat is infected by T. Gondii, the parasite hijacks his nervous system and makes him attracted to the smell. The rat actually becomes attracted to cats. Why? Because Toxoplasma Gondii only reproduces in cats. The parasites life cycle depends on hijacking and changing the behavior of the host.

Wanna hear something scary. T. Gondii infects humans. In fact a significant portion of the populous is infected. Traditionally it has been believe that T. Gondii infection has no side effects in humans (except developing fetus), however there are theories that actually they do affect our behavior in subtle ways. Its controversial, but its believed it may lead to increases in risk taking behavior and mental illness.

Think about that next time you see the crazy old cat lady down the street.

some cites:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/science/23parasite.html?_r=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis#In_humans

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does a '79 Bonneville count as a back up weapon??? Big Grin
"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
William P

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mick Jarvis wrote:
William P wrote:

you sure about that?

Quote:

Quote:

also

what i meant was hat we dont yet have mind controlling parasites that go for humans specifically,
i said we have mind controlling parasites in general.
although i had forgotten about he potential effects of toxaplasma on humans and schizophrenia.

interesting, in dead rising 2, one game mechanic is that of 'the queen' its a wasp like insec thing hat apparently infected some zombies in the first place, if you kill the queen fo some reasons all he zombies heads burst.. although i think thats more a mechanic to allow you o 'smart bomb crowds of zombies later on in the game.

and just like in a eguular zombie epidemic, in dead rising 2, he 'bosses' arnt hyper mutated zombies, but instead other humans which have gone insane, (it also doesn't help that your character, chuck green had been framed for causing the outbreak)
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree w/J Sarge...a bat or something light and fast.Nothing that will get stuck or that will wear on cardio.

Especially if they are as fast as Dawn of the Dead ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Nathaniel Gage

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Cold Steel Chinese War Sword:

If it can hack two pigs in half with a single stroke, it's good enough for zombies. Watch the video, it's worth it.

Barring that, a good katana will do. The Cheness Oniyuri has a longer grip for a better two-handed hold, and is light, fast, and maneuverable. Okay, so it's technically not a true katana. But damn can it take some punishment! The guys over at SBG tested it on all manner of things, and it came out almost entirely unscathed.

Chinese War Sword - http://www.coldsteel.com/chinesewarsword.html

Oniyuri - http://www.chenessinc.com/9260oniyuri.htm
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't done any test cutting on an object that would provide an appropriate simulation, so I can't speak on the matter personally, but reading everyone else's comments;
How much of an issue is blood spatter when using a sword?

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Phillip Oliver

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want something that creates damage while maintaining DISTANCE between me and the undead. I agree a mace or other bludgeoning weapon. Keeping the splatter down to a minimum is huge.Splatter creates infection. I happen to like the Beck de Corbin, but maybe a double hammer type to keep from getting the 'Beck' stuck in a skull.

I also like my Bark River 'Northwind' machete as a multi-purpose tool/weapon. It does have splatter potential though. [size=

Attachment: 73.71 KB
[ Download ]

There is only one way to Valhalla
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahmad Tabari wrote:
Haha true. But it was not an Andalusian either Wink

I would not want to charge a horde of zombies and hope to break through, if you run out of momentum the zombies are going to pull you from the horse.

Also the horse may react badly to the presence of so many dead things too!

Also for splatter;

Sometimes you may be in situation where you need to get in close and get splattered also you always need room to swing a larger pole weapon!
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
One word: flamethrower....just sayin' Evil

Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually if the fire burns away the zombies' tendons and muscles then they won't be much a threat.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben P. wrote:
Actually if the fire burns away the zombies' tendons and muscles then they won't be much a threat.
Right, but before that you have quite awhile of a animated fireball that is actively trying to home in on your and eat your brains. Plus any flammable structures he comes in contact with, up to and including your boarded up windows, will also likely catch fire.

Just all around bad scene... Not good

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Back-Up Weapon for the Zombie Apocalypse
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: