Gothic Armorury ca.1470. Schwäbisch Gmünd Germany
hello all.

the weather is bad and i visit today the museum in my hometown. there is a fantastic gotihc Armoury and want show it now.
imo a italy style but iam not sure about the sallet! this shoult be a german style.

ope you like it:)

best, oli

Attachment: 71.2 KB
total [ Download ]

Attachment: 88.77 KB
back [ Download ]

Attachment: 72.54 KB
right side [ Download ]

Attachment: 108.73 KB
sallet [ Download ]

Attachment: 86.23 KB
bevor [ Download ]

Attachment: 100.31 KB
sallet front [ Download ]

Attachment: 168.38 KB
marker [ Download ]

Attachment: 155.77 KB
etched bavor [ Download ]
some more pics from the armoury

Attachment: 106.06 KB
left side [ Download ]

Attachment: 106.06 KB
left side [ Download ]

Attachment: 129.63 KB
Total 2 [ Download ]
Nice pictures Oliver. Those gauntlets are similar to the ones at the Walters Art Gallery here http://www.beautifuliron.com/italian.htm I couldn't tell whether the cuffs were riveted or not on the walters, and your left side pic showed me they were.
Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing. :)
Great pictures. :)

Some more info on the armour:

Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany, Museum im Prediger, from Heiligenkreuz church, Milanese armour with certain German stylistic elements.

First published in:
Mann, J. G., 'Notes on the Evolution of Plate Armour in Germany in the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Century' , Archaeologia, 84 ( 1935), most info on armour is from that article:

Armour was in church in Schwäbisch Gmünd until 1935, when historian James Mann called attention to it. Cuirass (breastplate, backplate and lames), pauldrons and arms are homogenous and originate in Milano, made armound 1465 - 1470. German salet, bevor, leg defences and gauntlets are later by about a decade, but were associated with the armour when it was given to the church after 1525, when it was last used in battle of Schmalkalden (a very long working life!). Armour was donated to the Heiligenkreuz church by citizen of Schwäbisch Gmünd, Johann Rauchbein.

The armour is not simply a mixture of Italian and German parts - the Milanese parts (cuirass, pauldrons and arms) exhibit elements of both styles. The breastplate is riveted together, and breastplate and backplate are secured together with waist belt (in German fashion). Decoration of breastplate is similar to German armour. But the lance rest is typical Italian one. Reinforced asymmetrical pauldrons are completely Italian in form, as are arms with assymetrical couters, but have several features that are more common to export armour.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: