Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Noob question of the day #1: Why heavy armor in Europe ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
By logic, if light missile cavalry was more effective, it would promt a change of tactics by those facing them.

True, though logic does not alway dicate the evolution of arms/tactics.

And sometimes the emulators are wrong in which part of the opponents they choose to emulate. For example, French or Bergundian Longbowmen also needed to have the training program practiced by the English to achieve the same numbers and quality of archers available to them. Simply giving them the weapon does not make them the same, it would have taken in essence a societal change. And the Selucid "Silver Shields" using roman style armnaments did not seem to be as effective as Roman Legionairres - and perhaps what they missed on was they needed to transpose the whole Roman military system, not just the weapons (though I think legionary style armnament in theory would have worked great covering pike flanks, similar to the Alexandrian Hypaspists).

But using the above logic, is does appear light horse tactics were effective, as the Crusaders started using "turkomans" which judging by the names on musters had many europeans in their ranks. This shows an attempt by the crusaders to adapt to the horse archer tactics of the mamluks.

There also seemed to be more use of the crossbow among the crusaders than in European theatres, again I believe as a counter to the bow armed cavalry.

Byzantine Cavalry, when having it's period of greatest sucess against horse archer armies relied not only on mercenary horse archers, but also upon native bow equipped archers in the ranks of their lancers.

Though it's very arguable that the loss of Byzantine mlitary effiiciency was not due to bad tactics but problems within their own infrastructure, as well as dynastic struggles. But as their armies became more reliant on western type cavalry, they seemed to enjoy less sucess.

ETA - I believe the strength of light archer based cavalry was in it's performance against cavalry. Heavy cavalry still often had exposed horses, and by killing a horse you make the rider infantry, if he's not badly injured or trampled when his horse goes down. Armour the horse itslef, and you lose some of the mobility of the horse which is it's strength, and/or it's endurance, which makes it easier for archers to use a favorite technique - close to almost point blank range, loose an arrow, and retreat.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
By logic, if light missile cavalry was more effective, it would promt a change of tactics by those facing them.

As it turns out, the eastern european nations, such as Poland, retained their heavy lance cavalry long after it was abandoned elsewhere. Pratially because they faced eastern light horse archers rather western european pistolliers.

Looking from a different angle, who can be recruited for such a force from a society?
If armour is more readily available than horses, you have first heavy infantry and second are horsemen - with armour (not much, but still). What weapons can they handle? Tradition in the Western regions was the javelin and in the Eastern regions the bow (the Phoenicians and Punics are a good example how a transfer from one place to another transformed their preferred ranged weapon). These guys can afford armour and a horse (more of a pony, but still), the weapon of choice corresponding to that wealth would be a lance and/or a crossbow. These are in my opinion the typical ringerpferd that later adopted firearms. The crossbow makes them ranged combat troops on horseback (see Thalhofer). Other than the mounted crossbowmen there are the Turcopoles, especially among the Polish and Teutonic Order forces or the Khumans in hungary. You could say that Europe had on the fringes to the mounted archers their own mounted archer components to counter these.
But the troop type seems not to have warranted a similar footprint in the more central regions (there are some with various ranged weapons).

A technical question. What's the difference between a mounted archer and a mounted javelineer?
Range difference?
Missile frequency?
Missile power?
Self-defense?
I strongly suspect that these were rather nuances from some points of view leading to different preferences. The combat field for missile troops as well as the cultural mindset might have played a role in determining differing missile choices.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I strongly suspect that these were rather nuances from some points of view leading to different preferences. The combat field for missile troops as well as the cultural mindset might have played a role in determining differing missile choices

I think cultural nuances played a big role, western light cav in antiquity favored the javelin over the bow. Maybe due to the fact that the composite bow was not really in use - this made a far more portable wepaon than the western bows.

As for what a javelin is better for, one can hold a shield and lose a javelin at close range.

Also based on tests, a javelin has rather impressive pwers of penetration compared to about any bow.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The latest renown mounted javelineers I know of are the Balkan stradiots and Iberian jinetes. Both seem to have also liked the crossbow (with the Muslims taking it with them to their exile in the Maghreb). It's my own theory that it took the introduction of the crossbow and some decent bodyarmour to convince the Europeans that this was a suitable ersatz-javelin with some features worth considering. The crossbow didn't only supplant javelins, but to some degree also bows (in England this development was turned back to bows, strange island, but it worked for them), even in massed formations that faced mounted ranged combat troops - Scandinavia and the Baltics.

But how many ranged combat troops did you need and were they worth loosing their missiles from horseback?
My angle of view is that a lot of men knew how to handle many different weapons, including the crossbow with its steep learning curve. But if you go into combat you make choices, what can I handle well enough, what can I afford, what can I carry, what do I get paid for a certain weapon type, what are the risks involved?

Europeans could opt for less ranged combat for solving their violent disputes in the epic battles we know most about. That does not exclude their ability to switch to ranged combat for the lesser known small war. You can look at light cavalry with ranged weapons as bringing the tiresome "small war" to the battlefield in preparation of finishing off the enemy with just the same heavy cavalry charge as everyone else did. From such an angle the European forces could also fight multirole (look at English-Scottish border raiders), prepare the enemy for the final battle with ranged combat, but rather didn't switch armament and role during the battle (this might be a misconception due to misunderstanding the sources and generalizing over a large timeframe). It's possible that some European troops exercised their multirole ability to a lesser degree (for example a noble on horseback with close combat weapons and his lance-unit on horseback armed with ranged weapons during a raid).

Back to the heavy armour topic. Armour doesn't need land to constantly feed upon. It does detoriate over time to some degree, but still is a fairly good investment because you can lend it to someone you know. I read quite often in Medieval sources that persons had some parts of armour, often inherited. As the only pieces of equipment for each individual going to war, such an army would have provided a very jolly look. But these items were in demand for all the wars fought in Europe, so it was an investment that did help safe you some money for acquiring the complete set on demand or help you make money in case someone else urgently needed it(the more likely case). It's in a way similar to modern MMORPG-trade of items, but with really high demand and price spikes to speculate.
Horses by contrast were useable for transport and agriculture, competing with oxen, or a luxury in most of Europe. The regions lacking heavy armour often lacked the economic means to safe some money this way (has to do with subsistence and socio-economic structures) or had a climate that made it unsuitable to run around like this (with more chances of death due to the heat than any enemy interference). Where horses were more readily available and less of a luxury, people used the advantage provided by this resource a lot more in warfare.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
My angle of view is that a lot of men knew how to handle many different weapons, including the crossbow with its steep learning curve

I'd agree about the ability to use mutiple types of weapons, though I think the crossbow is an easy learn, at least in comparison to a selfbow.

Quote:
You can look at light cavalry with ranged weapons as bringing the tiresome "small war" to the battlefield in preparation of finishing off the enemy with just the same heavy cavalry charge as everyone else did. From such an angle the European forces could also fight multirole (look at English-Scottish border raiders)

I think this is an important point. There seems to be an undue emphasis on looking at troop types and weapons based upon their usage in set piece battles. While set-piece battles are indeed important, raids were for more common than set piece battles, and seiges of course need to be factored in as well.

For example, there have been many mounted infantry throughout the European middle ages. Saxon Huscarls and select fyrd are some that I am thinking of, Vikings were known to commandeer horses for raids, we have the mounted longbowmen as well.

What we don't really know in many of these cases is during a raid or recon, were these mounted infantry used for such mounted? And if pressed, would they engage while mounted?

There are some that push towards the opinion that the Saxons did indeed have cavalry, and they point to a mounted engagement here and there. While this could be authors writing well after the fact looking at their current ways of warfare, I actually think these reports are accurate, and were probably some skirmishes engaged in by mounted saxons. But from everything we have on record, they seem to have dismounted for set piece battles. IMO the Saxons were not true cavalry, just mounted infantry that circumstances dictated that they fight while mounted.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary, I mostly agree with you, it's rather nitpicking.

On crossbows (from Thalhofer on mounted combat):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/2589977581_87c9c46d4c.jpg
And the mounted crossbowman shooting backwards don't look easy to me. Plus, you have to take many novel things into account that our technology based society is more familiar with. Crossbowmen were hired professional mercenaries who were paid a substantial amount of money and who could have servants to operate better. That doesn't fit together with a cheap ragtag force that learned the instructions printed on the weapons (like the Hitlerjugend with their panzerfaust during WWII). There were certainly different qualification levels of crossbowmen, increasing their numbers with less experienced helpers, but overall they are always treated as respected professionals of medium social standing.

Everybody can use a gun today (very easy to learn in 5 minutes), but is everybody a marksman or even a sniper?
Do you have an idea how quickly I can raise a force of archers with longbows capable of peppering an area with arrows?

The mounted raids and the battles on foot are something recurrent through the ages. For raids it's convenient if you quickly approach without a warning. Using horses on the field of battle risks live and limb of these often "luxury"/expensive animals. How many horses did William personally lose at Hastings? Equipping a mounted force for use on the battlefield might thus be prohibitively expensive (see Medieval horse insurances), but if you have a small band on a raid, the tactical situation sometimes still warrants that you don't dismount, but fight from horseback.
In my opinion the role of light cavalry is to shift the balance of power prior to the close combat clashes. You can do that via raids and ambushes or on the battlefield if the enemy has no effective options against skirmishers wearing him down. Whether you do the wearing down on foot, dismounted from the horse or from horseback is very much a tactical choice and it is much too neglected that light cavalry(including the Mongols) did dismount to engage in ranged (or close) combat with the horse as a ready means for escape.

But overall I think we have a pretty good agreement and can proceed. Thanks for your contributions, I learned some new things.

Is it OK if we return to the heavy armour in Europe issue?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In my opinion the role of light cavalry is to shift the balance of power prior to the close combat clashes. You can do that via raids and ambushes or on the battlefield if the enemy has no effective options against skirmishers wearing him down. Whether you do the wearing down on foot, dismounted from the horse or from horseback is very much a tactical choice and it is much too neglected that light cavalry(including the Mongols) did dismount to engage in ranged (or close) combat with the horse as a ready means for escape.

I agree with the role light cavalry plays prior to a battle or during raids, whcih is something that is often overlooked. Though I also think they had their place on the battlefield, and could be very very effective, depending on the situation of the battle. A running battle like Hattin is great for them, a more closed battlefield less so, though I think good generalship will often let the army fight on the ground of their choosing.

When cavalry archers are only a small component of your army, they are less effective on the battlefield as their mobility is countered by the lack of mobility of the rest of the army.

Quote:
And the mounted crossbowman shooting backwards don't look easy to me.

Ah, I meant in general crossbows are easier, not as a specifically cavalry weapon.

Quote:
Crossbowmen were hired professional mercenaries who were paid a substantial amount of money and who could have servants to operate better. That doesn't fit together with a cheap ragtag force that learned the instructions printed on the weapons

Crossbows were frequently professionals, yes, often even armoured well. Though during the days of the English "Longbow", these were professionals also, mounted at times, not merely a peasant rabble armed with bows either. Actually, I think their sucess has to do much with the fact they were not a peasant bow armed rabble, but men of some status. I thinks this points as much to their sucess as any weapon superiority.

Quote:
Is it OK if we return to the heavy armour in Europe issue?

Sure. Though even though we were on a tangent, it was at least related to the main topic.

I think much of it boils down what the original author had questioned - why was heavy armour more predominant in Europe than in the East, and light cavalry are specifically mentioned.

Though from what I have read and seen in illustrations, it seems that in one of the big points of east/west comabt, the armies within 100 years were somewhat similar in nature - Heavy Mamluk cavalry was not that different in looks from crusader knights, the Mamluks had horse archers of course, the crusaders had their own Turcopoles.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
From such an angle the European forces could also fight multirole (look at English-Scottish border raiders), prepare the enemy for the final battle with ranged combat, but rather didn't switch armament and role during the battle (this might be a misconception due to misunderstanding the sources and generalizing over a large timeframe).

They did sometimes. The English side at Poitiers fought dismounted for most of the battle, but after the French broke they remounted for the pursuit. The Italians at Arbedo (1422) also attempted several charges on horseback before they dismounted and attacked their Swiss opponents on foot.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
They did sometimes. The English side at Poitiers fought dismounted for most of the battle, but after the French broke they remounted for the pursuit. The Italians at Arbedo (1422) also attempted several charges on horseback before they dismounted and attacked their Swiss opponents on foot.

What would be interesting is if we had more specific chronicles of Saxon warfare. My guess is the Huscarls and other infantry that had horses would ride to pursue routing opponents.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems to me the conventional, but perhaps incorrect opinion is that the crossbow was easier to use, but a more experienced longbowman could fire at a faster rate, and with greater power. Interestingly though, I read that the Amsterdam crossbow guild switched to the longbow because it was simpler. Of course, the main concern may have been budgetary and not battle effectiveness.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt, Gary and all,

I agree that the crossbow is probably not well understood and clearly its popularity over the longbow in much of Europe is not simply their inability to raise bowmen. They worked and worked well.

As to crossbows very often the elite of the elite mercs were crossbowmen. But we have to be careful as anything can be a merc and often was. My guess is actually men-at-arms might have been more common during some periods as we see some places, even France employ mercs at times and they even outnumber the other mercs provided, even crossbowmen.

But even with these elite forces places like France could after Charles V (not so much his sone Charles VI) draw on towns especially for crossbowmen. Now often they might not employ them as well as the English do but they had far more of their own home grown crossbowmen in the pool of manpower than elite merc crossbowmen. In fact during Charles's reign they do have a governmental program to visit castles and fortified places and crossbows have got to be one of the most common weapons around.

Now as to English crossbow use. They do often have them but usually in very small numbers. In a garrison of hundreds in Southampton they have around a dozen in the mid 14th century.

Ryan,

How you ever used a heavy draw crossbow? I cannot imagine them being any easier really. Having used both as far of ease of use a bow wins hand over fist. My guess is that to shoot something akin to the average of the Mary Rose bows would take years of training tp pull to full draw. Now this is just to draw and loose an arrow or bolt. Now to get good at either a person would have to get at this level first.

Depending on when Amsterdam switched they might have been using a bow that was not ever intended truly for war but for sport.

RPM
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heavy armour in Europe:

If you take for example the Scottish fighting the English. It seems they considered direct cavalry clashes not to their advantage. It seems likely that Scotland had a great tradition of small, sturdy and strong animals. They were great for their kind of economy, but hardly a match for Continental breed mounts used by their opponents.
One choice left was fighting on foot in battle and using the small, but great, horses for raids and rapid strikes against enemy missile troops. This "light cavalry" were from a Scottish perspective men at arms, just like the frontline of their infantry (with the infantry rear being wealthy Lowland Scots, in status similar to the bill&bowmen who constituted much of the English forces. The Highland Scottish archers could be considered light skirmishing missile infantry. They seem not to have stood much chances against the better armoured English archers who operated in line and are perhaps best compared to the Welsh forces.

If you were de Bruce, you could opt for what I described (and he did) or you could go for light armoured cavalry, like the border raiders. The problem with these border raiders was that the more numerous English retaliated in kind. The overall result is destruction and an economic depression as far as the raids are able to penetrate. On the up side some successful raiders can fulfill their dreams of easy money and indulgence in pleasures bought with this money (look at current Somali pirates and warlords, they all have a good live in comparison to their countrymen, but Somalia is far away from being per capita as rich as Switzerland).
Societies can come to conclusions concerning how they want violence to settle their disputes. In some places the solution is constant low intensity war with the economic repercussions, in other places it is about rather short bursts of high intensity conflict over more resources at stake. For these high intensity conflict cultures armour is the best solution, while raiders are better advised to be fast and carry little arms and armour in order to plunder and escape any pursuit.
Fortifications, if properly maintained require considerable time to take. In a raid infested environment depositing wealth inside protected places helps a lot to safe your economic growth. There's still some mobile wealth like animals that comes and goes by raid and counterraid. The side that is better able to safe every year's earning in the castle can buy armour and training for that money and, in my simplified example, march as an armed force to the enemy and really hurt his economy and survival by attacking non-mobile wealth like houses and grain. Afterwards the contestant who lost the grain will have a hard time to feed and survive, sapping the ability to raid.
One problem is that some enemies have nothing you can reliably attack with heavy infantry to force upon them your will. Under these circumstances armour is rather a viable solution for the combination mobility via a carrier animal and armour, not lots of heavy infantry slowly (but steadily) walking on their own feet. So armour in many parts of the world is the result of social and economic conditions and mutual agreements from fighting each other in different ways. Other than that climate makes a major contribution concerning how much armour of what kind you want to wear for how long. This means that the overall usefulness of armour is a variable of the climate (many people die from the excessive heat and poor ventilation while wearing armour). If armour has only a marginal return for the investment you are likely to spend the money on something more promising (not related to climate, but Europe stopped heavy armour when they considered it not worth the money to withstand firearms).

Crossbow and longbow:

Concerning the crossbow, this tool required lots of technology, technology was available in a craftsmen environment such as the towns. The longbow required lots of training time, but you didn't have as many mechanical parts to repair, nor did it require as many machines and different craftsmen to produce. I totally agree that current tests seem to support the argument for a higher rate of shot for the longbow. But for how long can a longbowman keep this rate of shot? If there is an endurance rate of shot comparison, who wins, the longbow or the crossbow (that can use many different devices and thus muscles)?
The rate of shot issue of crossbows might have to do with the more difficult training of rapidly loading a crossbow, while for the longbow the problem is getting the muscles and learning accuracy. Is there a crossbow speed of shot test with an experienced professional piece rate worker? I do belive that we still might learn a few tricks from such an experienced man and correct our estimates. The same knowledge of high piece rate output with "machines"/tools was likely prevalent among the Medieval craftsmen=crossbowmen from early childhood training onwards. I suspect we still judge crossbowmen on the wrong skill set (fast loading and rapid precise aiming) with LOTS of training from an as early age as the renown longbowmen.
I would be glad to hear we had some of the mentioned professionals taking a look at the crossbow issue.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt,

I do not think the Scottish men at arms were mounted in this manner. In fact I do not think this is why they usually avoided direct engagement as they tried to do this with infantry armies as well. I think the issue boils down to them having far fewer heavy cavalry type knights compared to the English. When the Scots fight with the French against the English in the HYW during the 14th and 15th centuries they fight mixed with French mounted men at arms and seem to be considered equal.

Now perhaps the majority of Scot horsemen were on smaller breeds of horse but they certainly did have heavier horses and could fight in traditional heavy cavalry fashion but often being largely outnumbered it was not to their advantage. Even with the lighter horse it seems they were usually outnumbered several times over by the English as well.

That said I do not think in Scot term men at arms were light cavalry. I think their hobelars were light cavalry and heavier armed and armoured men at arms were expected to fight light at need, just like other places in Europe. Chevauchee warfare was often what most consider 'light cavalry' tactic but executed by heavy in France. I think we might be creating a artificial troop type and function here if we push this too far.

That said I cannot see hobelars doing the complete function of a man at arms but they were much cheaper. So perhaps economics is a major factor with this usage.

As to crossbows. I think there is a major need for work on crossbows on both the technical and literary side of things. As has come up here often they tended to be one of the groups that most European kingdoms/states could raise on their own and with few exceptions they still are hiring mercs. Why? Because they were awesome. They were seen as being valuable in most scenarios.

I think the best a crossbowman could do is still about 50-60% what a good archer could do. I doubt rather the pro archer would get tired but figure arrow supply would be the limitation. Further if a crossbowman had a shield of some nature the slower speed of his projectiles is less vital. Since we have large evidence to this becoming common in the 14th and 15th century seems to be a possibility they knew of this disadvantage and made moves to correct it.

RPM
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's leave the Scots at that. I said "light" like that because many authors label them like this when their being light seems to have more to do with anything but their role on the field. Hobelars are Irish aren't they?

I think the crossbow can be slower than a self-bow, but I'm sure it compensates with stamina and accuracy. I really don't think an equally professional(!!!) bowman can outlast a peer crossbowman who can switch to more muscle types.
Munition supply can be cheaper for the crossbow if you take the bolts without feathers. Much research on the issue is wanting and many myth are circulating.

Armour and close combat seem to have played important roles in Europe that is not equally imitated in neighboring regions. The crossbow for example does appear in the Muslim Maghreb and in the Byzantine Empire as a European influence (including possibly South Asia). This "qaws ferenqi" seems to have been handled by very respected mercenary troops from an Arabian and Turkish point of view. Does this pertain to them being highly capable ranged armour-killers bred on the armour rich European battlefields with much close combat (enhancing the role of armour)?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Now perhaps the majority of Scot horsemen were on smaller breeds of horse but they certainly did have heavier horses and could fight in traditional heavy cavalry fashion but often being largely outnumbered it was not to their advantage. Even with the lighter horse it seems they were usually outnumbered several times over by the English as well.

Yes, from what I have read Scottish knights and men at arms were nearly identical to their English opponents, Braveheart notwithstanding Big Grin . But they simply could not field the numbers of horsemen prevalent in an English army.

And really, light horse on a set piece battle are not nealry as effective without missile weapons, they are a gauranteed loss in a head to head confrontation with heavy cavalry.

Quote:
I think the crossbow can be slower than a self-bow, but I'm sure it compensates with stamina and accuracy. I really don't think an equally professional(!!!) bowman can outlast a peer crossbowman who can switch to more muscle types.
Munition supply can be cheaper for the crossbow if you take the bolts without feathers. Much research on the issue is wanting and many myth are circulating.

One thing that is important and not really brought up IMO is ammo supply. From what I have heard, an average trained longbowman could loose 10 arrows a minute, with better trained ones able to loose 20 arrows a minute.

That's 2-4 minutes of sustained fire - Foot might cover 100 yards per minute, horse more but from what I know the rapid advance of a trot or gallop was saved until the last 40 yards or so.

With corssbows of course, this amo issue is not nearly as much of a problem.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

an interesting test, that would be very easy to do, is give people with out any related training a crossbow and a longbow, and see which has a higher accuracy after a bit of practice.

As far as the Scottish army, its cavalry changed over time. Border reivers existed in a way since the border was created (perhaps before). However, they weren't all mounted. Most of what I read points to Bruce's cavalry being Norman-Scottish knights, that is normal medieval cavalry (perhaps a little poorer). At some point the Border Reiver with the steel bonnet we are familiar with developed, but what happened in between, I don't know.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan,

I do not think their cavalry really changed at all in reality. What changes is the environment it was used in. Men of knightly or noble birth could be reivers. Poorer men could as well. Reivers were not a troop type really but more a term for the participants of the illicit activity there. Like brigand in some ways.

If you have not seen this gents site it is worth a look. One of only a few times in my life I really wanted to do 16th century. I have little interest/love for the Tudors, the clothing not me but this is just pretty cool.

http://www.theborderers.info/

Scotland's lowland population was an amalgamation of several groups on the noble level, but it does seem the Normans were given incentive to settle the area specifically as a way to increase the heavy cavalry. So it would be likely others copied this and as the groups merged adopted aspects of the others culture. But even if this is the case hobelars are used during this period by most of Britain, including Scotland. They are paid at different levels and expected to have specific equipment.

As well Scot nobles were not poorer than continental knights. What their limitation is is population. Scotland at its height in the Late Medieval period likely had only 1 million people. England had three to five times this number. France 15-25 times this. See Bruce Campbell's Benchmarking Medieval Economic development. It is a common misconception that is likely not going to die any time soon as it is so well entrenched.

RPM
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
But even if this is the case hobelars are used during this period by most of Britain, including Scotland. They are paid at different levels and expected to have specific equipment

How were they equipped Randall?

And is there anything on whether or not the were expected to combat while mounted?
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

The primary weapon seems to be the spear but that will not answer the question. One can use ot mounted or on foot. Some have argued either end to no end. To be honest I do not see why they could not do both as that seems fairly common for men at arms of the period.

RPM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Noob question of the day #1: Why heavy armor in Europe ?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: