Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Noob question of the day #1: Why heavy armor in Europe ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to cavalry, I do not belive heavy vs light armour is the main difference. Everybody wears as much armour as they practicaly can, and the europeans make more and better armour.
They also have a military system that focuses on producing heavy troops, to the exclusion of others.

The difference lies in wether or not you focus on melee or ranged weapons. In the west, the focus is almost singularly on melee. In other parts of the world, there has been a mix of melee and ranged, or, most commonly, double armed men.

There is most likely several reasons for this.
One is the relative lack of arches as main battle formations in early medevial europe. In an enviroment where everybody and his aunt carries a 80-110cm shield and fights in wide, mutaly protective formations, archers serve mainly to harass.

Another is the intender role of the european knight. Rather than fighting in a large army, he spends most of his time defending his fief from numericaly superior brigands and raiders. This is harder to do with horse archers, especially if the attackers are european infantry.

It is also a known problem that missile cavalry, be it horse archers or pistoliers, "flinch" and fire to early, subsequently falling on the defencive. European lancers, however, are trained to brace their lances and aim for direct impact.
(This is described in the "From Lance to Pistol" feature article on this site)

Over all, it would seem that misile cavalry is more adaptet to a mobile, defensive style of warfare, while heavy cavalry are better for desicive engagements and taking ground.

Of course, rapid advance with any kind of troops cause the risk of beeing spread out and ground up, be it neaderthal rocktrowers or M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tanks.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gene,

The Mongols were reportedly shocked by the casualties they took in Poland. I do not think that they ever had a realistic chance of taking and holding Europe. The army that the Mongols destroyed was a polyglot amalgamation including German miners, conscripts from Greater Poland and traditional feudal levies along with small detachments of Hospitallers and Templars. The examinations of this battle that I have read basically blame Henry the Pious for letting the Mongols fight the entire battle their way. In addition as far as I have been able to determine the western force did not have a decent archer corps.

If I recall correctly the Magyars were in an alliance with the Bulgarians at the beginning of the ninth century and just drifted further into Europe until they pushed into the Carpathian basin a century later where they were a royal pain to N. Italy and raided throughout Europe. The key here is raided, they were stopped cold at the battle of Lechfeld, the later Hungarians settled down and adopted the more common European military structure.

Take a closer look at the Huns and how far they pushed into Europe, they were not the unstoppable force that the "Scourge of God" title given Attila makes them out to be. If you examine the political situation at the time you can see that the Huns were facing a rather sick Western Roman Empire. After the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains, Attila was forced to retreat back over the Danube, he then raided very successfully in N. Italy a year later. After his death the Huns were no longer a threat due to disputes over leadership. The Huns always seemed to me as having an excellent fighting commander who was lucky enough to face an enemy that was not at the top of their form.

As for Charles the Hammer, he would have lead a very heavy force by the standards of the time. It would have been a heavy infantry force of retainers, mail armoured, with helmet, shield, spear, and sword. I think I recall a description of them as a "wall of ice, terrible and unmoving" or something close to that.

'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

I agree with some of your points, but let me address Hattin and Arsuf. The battle of Hattin was a strategic, grand tactical and tactical failure from start to finish. What competent commander could make as many blunders as Guy of Lusignan?

Arsuf was a battle that happened because the commanders of Saladin's army pushed too hard and got counterpunched. Richard's plan was to move carefully to take Jaffa by moving down the coast in a formation designed to prevent the usual Muslim tactics from succeeding. He was careful to always camp at water sources and keep his men under control and in formation. The battle was brought about by the Muslim army pushing so hard that they were in amongst the Hospitaller crossbowmen forming the rearguard, I think that some of them had actually dismounted to engage in an archery duel with the slower firing crossbowmen. It was at this point that the Hospitaller commander ignored the command to keep marching and charged. Richard took control of his men and led a series of charges, three I believe, that shattered the attacking force. It was an excellent bit of command that turned a meeting engagement into a fairly decisive battle.

A problem that I see is that we are working from what I like to think of as the equivelant of a regimental history. The chronicles glory in the prowess of the class that is paying to have the manuscript illuminated and written, or it is written by a churchman that should have a vocational dislike of violence and a propensity to "show off" by continually referencing the Bible through replacing historical fact with battles and numbers lifted "chapter and verse" as it were. Careful reading of manuals, pay records, etc., show that medieval commanders seem to have favoured a "combined arms" approach with the correct troop mix dependant on terrain and enemy.

'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As touched on already in this thread, pre-modern militaries are reflections of the societies and economies that sustained them. For a European Medieval army to be like the Mongols, would require the society itself to be like the Mongols.

Furthermore, I don't thin there was an overwhelming advantage to light horse archers. For the most part, the battle was won by whichever side managed to make fewer mistakes.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
William P

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a better question though is yes all used lancers etc, heavy lancers at thats...

so why no eastern plate harnesses i wonder.. was the technology just not there in the east??

also interestingly as usual, the japanese somehow manage to be the exception, they were fuedal, heavy cavaly, yet primarily acted as horse archers to begin with as a result of having to deal with the emishi around the 9th-11th centuries (oir thereabouts, but maybe even earlier..

is it because eastern (by eastern i mean arab/ chiinese armies) faced alot more archery than lances they didnt NEED full harnesses? instead relying on plate and maile..
though
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my opinion Western Europe had a strong javelin tradition whereas in the East the bow was more prevalent. The crossbow in my opinion was more of a javelin than a bow upgrade for Europe's tactics. The degree of armour protection and horses available in turn depends on the economic situation. If horses eat grain, they need a lot. If you have an economy with wealthy craftsmen, you have heavily armoured infantry. The question was now, what armament do my expected enemies have? I dress accordingly. Some strange guys from beyond the horizon are not within scope, but can be defeated if there's enough information on them.
The Mongols for example had ample information before each assault.
Hattin was due to a force of infantry mercenaries that went on an ill-prepared march for a kingdom that had a hard time fielding the manpower to fight such a mighty enemy. What they critically lacked, were for example camel mounted crossbowmen (using heavy crossbows, dismounting to shoot and arming he mount with one-two large light leather shields) in the Christian army who could have countered the Muslim light cavalry better. Why didn't they use camels, something about exporting Europe?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The battle of Hattin was a strategic, grand tactical and tactical failure from start to finish. What competent commander could make as many blunders as Guy of Lusignan?

Quote:
The battle was brought about by the Muslim army pushing so hard that they were in amongst the Hospitaller crossbowmen forming the rearguard, I think that some of them had actually dismounted to engage in an archery duel with the slower firing crossbowmen. It was at this point that the Hospitaller commander ignored the command to keep marching and charged. Richard took control of his men and led a series of charges, three I believe, that shattered the attacking force. It was an excellent bit of command that turned a meeting engagement into a fairly decisive battle.

Pretty much what I have read of it as well. But I would not credit the decisive charge to Richard - the charge was done initially against his orders. He then realized he could either sacrifice the Hospitallers and keep on going with his first plan, but with a much weakened force, or he could support the Hospitaller charge and hope for the best. He made the correct decision based on results, but it was not his "game plan", and through fortune he won the day.

Oh, don't get me wrong Jason, I realize Hattin was largely do to poor decisions. However, had the crusader army been more mobile and been able to take the fight to the Muslims they would have fared far better and could have negated some of the blunders.

Quote:
The question was now, what armament do my expected enemies have? I dress accordingly. Some strange guys from beyond the horizon are not within scope, but can be defeated if there's enough information on them.

That's another issue as well - an army with better recon (light horse are great at this) can have much more knowledge is his opponent and their moves. What sometimes may appear blunders are the opposite, great decisions, has as much to do with the intelligence each general has. And not meaning their own personal intelligence, but how good their recon is.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
In the west, the focus is almost singularly on melee.

That's an exaggeration or at least varies by the period. It's telling that the Western Europeans like Giovanni da Pian del Carpine and Bertrandon de la Broquière who gave advice on how to defeat horse archers emphasized missile weapons. Broquière expressed considerable enthusiasm for Anglo-Burgundian archery, claiming that European archers shot farther and stronger than the Turks. (Given the range records produced by the Turkish bow, I suspect the Turks he encounter had the habit of shooting up close for accuracy and didn't practice distance shooting in his presence.)
Ahmad Tabari

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think using the category 'Eastern' is very misleading. As Gary pointed out, not all horsemen east of Europe were light skirmishers. On the contrary, heavy cavalry was featured in almost every Eastern marital culture worthy of mention. In the Middle East, heavy cavalry was the mainstay of many armies prior to the Seljuk arrival. And even after the arrival of the Turks, heavy cavalry continued to flourish either in the form of armoured Arab and Kurdish lancers or Mamluk horsemen. If you go further east to China, you will see that heavy cavalry were an essential part of most armies. Even the Mongols had heavy cavalry.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the question might be a bit misleading. Perhaps the question should be "Why did the tradition of Horse archery see use among eastern armies but not Western ones"

And this is even a bit misleading, as Hungary among other European nations in eastern europe used horse archers.

Western Cavalry for years DID make use of light cavalry skirmishers, but they used the Javelin, not the bow, and this continued in Spain well after dieing out in much of western Europe.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin: Yes, you are quite correct that this is a exageration. There are plenty of examples of missile use by european cavalry. However, looking at the top tier, "ideal type" cavalry of the various regions, eastern heavy cavalry would be more likely to be double armed.

This is a quite interesting point. This in not a pure melee/ranged dictomy. It There is no problem carying both melee and ragned weaponry. As demonstrated, for instance, by the late roman cavalry that both western and eastern mediteranian cavalry forces where direct decendants of.
In the east, double armament remained the standard. In the west, the missiles become progresively less important.

Flexibility is usually a good thing, so there should be a reason the northwestern eurpeans chose to forgo their missile weapons. Personally, I belive it has to do with their prefered mode of combat: They want to fight decisive battles, and then go home.
The arabs and byzantines where more fond of lower intensity, protracted campaigns, where mobility and harassment played a more central role.

It is also worth noting that horse archery did not spread back to western europe after their conflicts with the muslims. Nor did the heavy armour trend change during the 100 years war. Rather, these conflict promted even heavier armour, to the point where even the mounted skirmishers where clad in more or less full plate in the late 100 years war...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the difference between heavy and light cavalry is in use, heavy is shock and light is forage, recon ect.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I suspect the Turks he encounter had the habit of shooting up close for accuracy and didn't practice distance shooting in his presence.)

Apparently turkish common use of horse archery was as a very long lance, i.e a few yards away if possible.

We have mixed stories of both turkish armour being ineffective, and some reports of mail being penetrated, deeply in one case I am thinking of. My guess is at range they were little more than an irritant to an armoured opponent (though the horse was vulnerable if not armoured), though at very close range they could be dangerous to an armoured man. I think the positive effect of crossbows limiting theeffect of turkish horse archers had little to do with out ranging them. I think it had far more to do with making it very uncomfortable and dangerous to ride up and loose at point blank range.

Quote:
Benjamin: Yes, you are quite correct that this is a exageration. There are plenty of examples of missile use by european cavalry. However, looking at the top tier, "ideal type" cavalry of the various regions, eastern heavy cavalry would be more likely to be double armed.

Looking at some of the Byzantine mauals, the Kataphractoi that were composed of lancers an archers advocated lancers in the front 2-3 ranks, 2 ranks of archers behind, and a last rank of lancers (I forget the exact number of ranks). These were armoured archers, but not dual armed.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gene Green wrote:
From what I read, my impression was that most of the light cavalry forces invading Europe en masse were rather successful.

E.g. we have Huns - win,

The Huns were not really a "light" cavalry force. Even before they began to invade the Roman Empire, a large proportion of their force was made up of lance-armed Goths and Alans and the like. It was a polyglot army as varied in its composition as the Roman-led alliance that faced it.

Quote:
Magyars - win,

And see what they ended up as? A Westernised kingdom!

Quote:
Arabs - lose

Another example that clearly wasn't a light cavalry force--even less so than the Huns! Arab cavalry fought with the lance, not the bow, and after the earliest conquests most of them quickly acquired substantial amounts of armour. At Tours-Poitiers they didn't shoot at the Franks--they charged.

Quote:
Mongols - win (and it appears they were more than capable of crushing the Europe had they set to do it).

Quite a doubtful assertion. By the time the Mongols ran afoul of Europeans in the north and Mamluks in the south, they were probably at the very end of their logistical tether and wouldn't have been able to hold on for long to any further conquests even if they had managed to pull such conquests off. The Mongol way of war depended heavily on the availability of pasturage in the Steppes and they tended to suffer once they went too far away from their native terrain. Note that the conquest of China (the one big exception to this principle) didn't happen until the Mongols acquired what was in effect a Chinese army backed by a Chinese imperial administration system!

(And even with this system they only had equivocal success in Southeast Asia.)

Quote:
Now, the Huns and Magyars probably didn't face much of heavy cavalry / infantry

Many of the peoples the Huns defeated and then assimilated (and then brought along in their invasion of the Roman Empire) were arguably heavy cavalry types! The Magyars, too, fought both against and alongside Frankish heavy cavalry on a number of occasions.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Mongols - win (and it appears they were more than capable of crushing the Europe had they set to do it).

Quote:
Quite a doubtful assertion. By the time the Mongols ran afoul of Europeans in the north and Mamluks in the south, they were probably at the very end of their logistical tether and wouldn't have been able to hold on for long to any further conquests even if they had managed to pull such conquests off. The Mongol way of war depended heavily on the availability of pasturage in the Steppes and they tended to suffer once they went too far away from their native terrain

I think the original question had more to do with the superiority of the bow armed light cavalry vs a more melee based army, or vice versa.

Taking logistics, ambushes, and other similar factors out of the equation I think is what is needed for a true crucible test.

And from my recollection, the Mongols generally fared very well against the more melee based armies of eastern Europe.

Their defeats came more at the hands of the Mamluks, who were also horse archery based, so one could say the horse archer system worked well.

Of course there are other things that need to be factored in here. Such as an overall superior level of discipline among the troops, better morale, etc.

And this is all a very gray area which is difficult to come up with any real unbiased answers on.

It's kind of like asking was the Pike based infantry of the Hellenic troops better than the ROman Pilum/Gladius Combination? Again a tough question. Roman troops were not entirely pila/gladius armed during their confrontations with the Hellenic Kingdoms for one. Secondly, Roman foot were designed to win the battlefield - Hellenic Pikeman were a part of a combined arms force that required them to hold the center while their cavalry attacked the wings. Thirdly, both parties had battlefield sucess, the Pike downfall seemed to happen more in rough terrain or while being disorganized while in pursuit.

One other thing to think about with regards to Heavy/Light Cavalry - categorizing troops by armour is more of a wargaming/roleplaying thought. In truthfullness they should be categorized by their battlefield role.

The Germanic Heavy Cavalry opposing the Huns was probably not very well armoured as a whole, but functioned more as close order heavy cavalry.

On the other hand you could have mail shirt wearing mamluks or mongols who where bow but not lance armed - they still functioned as light cavalry, just more survivable light cavalry, though more often tan not heavy cavalry are armoured better than light cavalry.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
I think the original question had more to do with the superiority of the bow armed light cavalry vs a more melee based army, or vice versa.

Taking logistics, ambushes, and other similar factors out of the equation I think is what is needed for a true crucible test.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that an evaluation of tactics alone -- in isolation of other factors -- is pretty much pointless since tactics in actual warfare are inevitably shaped and influenced by those larger factors.

Quote:
On the other hand you could have mail shirt wearing mamluks or mongols who where bow but not lance armed - they still functioned as light cavalry, just more survivable light cavalry, though more often tan not heavy cavalry are armoured better than light cavalry.

Mamluks? Not "lance armed?" Nooooo. Right from the beginning, their training was based upon the techniques and tactics of the ghilman -- Turkic slave cavalry -- with additional influences from Persian and Byzantine practices. At least two of these major influences (Turkic and Persian) relied heavily upon lance-and-bow heavy cavalry. There is also no doubt that the Mongols employed substantial numbers of lance-and-bow heavies--if not their own, then those recruited from among their subject peoples.

Let's not forget either that Poland and Hungary still had significant numbers of horse archers. In the latter case, even though the local militia had largely lost their horse archery capabilities by the 13th century (becoming foot archers or crossbowmen instead), this loss was compensated by the immigration of new "internal barbarians" like the Szekely.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, if you want to boil it down to a simple contest between two soldiers, one a bowman, the other a lancer; the question of victory is going to be based on the ability of the lancer to reach the bowman. To put it another way, an archer only has a short window of time to kill his opponent before he reaches him. Being on a horse gives the archer the ability to maintain distance longer, but also cuts back on accuracy. The armor of the lancer is also an important factor, the ability to charge in the face of arrow fire can almost assure victory. There were a number of factors determining the capacity for knights to make it to the melee, but once there they could do some serious damage, if not rout the enemy.

If you want to look at heavier armed cavalry with large horses, versus lighter armed more mobile smaller horsed cavalry, it there is another set of cost and benefits. Heavier armor of course comes with its own obvious lists of cost-benefits. If you look at the horses, some things might be breed specific, but in general bigger horses are stronger and faster in the charge, not to mention more intimidating. However, they require more food and lack stamina. Additionally, as a possible east-west difference there might be variance in horsemanship. Mongols as I understand lived on a horse(and still do), whereas I have been read to believe European medieval standards of horsemanship were poor. This may be reflected in that a straight on lance charge is pretty easy compared to the tactics used by the Mongols (feigning retreat and then turning to shoot).
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan S. wrote:
well, if you want to boil it down to a simple contest between two soldiers, one a bowman, the other a lancer; the question of victory is going to be based on the ability of the lancer to reach the bowman. To put it another way, an archer only has a short window of time to kill his opponent before he reaches him. Being on a horse gives the archer the ability to maintain distance longer, but also cuts back on accuracy. The armor of the lancer is also an important factor, the ability to charge in the face of arrow fire can almost assure victory. There were a number of factors determining the capacity for knights to make it to the melee, but once there they could do some serious damage, if not rout the enemy.

That's true to extent, but even with most disciplined, mobile and 'intelligent' army you can get in Medieval world, battles cannot be won by running away from someone to pepper him with arrows - skirmishes, ambushes obviously, but no battles.

Sooner or later somebody has to stand the ground, so mounted archers won't run themselves to some 'corner' or into extremely loose, chaotic 'formation', expose other units, camp etc.

They need some place and time to regroup in such cases.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Sooner or later somebody has to stand the ground, so mounted archers won't run themselves to some 'corner' or into extremely loose, chaotic 'formation', expose other units, camp etc.

Depends on the scope and specifics of the Battle and composition of the armies. Though first I would say you can't win a battle ONLY by peppering with arrows.

With a force composed almost entirely of cavalry, you can indeed win that way, though at some point you do need to close to combat to truly win it IMO.

An infantry force in such an army is a weakness and a strength. Weakness in that if the mobile archers turn it into a running battle, the accompanying infantry need to either be protected from flanking manuvers, or sacrificed.

But look at Hattin - it was pretty well won by arrows, or at least the crusading side was weakened so much by arrows that they were pretty easy to defeat in melee, some surrendering before combat.

And Hattin is not the only battle like this - it is just one of the better documented ones.

I think the thought that they have to close for melee before too long comes from looking at a battle as a set piece board type game, whcih indeed most european vs european battles were.

But archery can indeed bring the opponent almost or to the point of surrender - but melee usually occurred at some point. Though it seems most horse archer based armies had their heavies for this part of the battle.

Of course, feigned flight at times can cause a route due to poor communication. I know this happened in documented battles to the Pechenegs at least once, whether it was due to them not being as disciplined or just random luck of the draw I do not know.

But a horse archer based army can beat an opponent into submission primarily through the use of archery and feigned flight - but we have to look at perhaps through non-western eyes.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By logic, if light missile cavalry was more effective, it would promt a change of tactics by those facing them.

As it turns out, the eastern european nations, such as Poland, retained their heavy lance cavalry long after it was abandoned elsewhere. Pratially because they faced eastern light horse archers rather western european pistolliers.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Noob question of the day #1: Why heavy armor in Europe ?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: