Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Storing swords in a Gun Sock Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Storing swords in a Gun Sock         Reply with quote

I am contemplating storing my swords in my gun safe, each in its scabbard and in a silicone impregnated gun sock.

For those who don't know, this is a gun sock:http://www.cabelas.com/sleeves-camo-cabelas-k...ks-1.shtml

I've had great success using a silicone cloth to wipe my swords, so I am hoping this will work well. My only real concern is the leather on the scabbards. Will a well sealed veg tanned leather scabbard be hurt by being stored in a silicone impregnated gun sock?

Anyway, I was hoping perhaps someone else was using gun socks for sword storage and perhaps could give me insight on how they worked especially as relates to the sock and scabbard playing well together...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not used these but logic sort of leans that they are a good idea.

What I have used is a M2 Browning Barrel Bag
military issue heavy cotton duct. sort of 'oily' but not really (shrug) if you have handled old military gear, the cotton stuff you know what i mean, LOL

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone else have experience using gun socks for swords. I'm curious how they would work for storing a bare sword blade in too.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just picked up a gun sock the other weekend. While I've not had it on my sword ( A VA "Warder") for long, I can't comment on it's preservation ability. But..if my sock is representative of the general run of gunsocks, I wouldn't recommend them for the average Euro medieval period , cross hilted weapons. The reason..it's awkward to fit the sock over the usual size cross hilt..to my mind, if sock will stretch that wide, I feel it will wear through in fairly short order. Maybe my sock is a bit narrow, I don't know. For storing weapons with out cross hilts, they should be fine.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ralph Grinly wrote:
I just picked up a gun sock the other weekend. While I've not had it on my sword ( A VA "Warder") for long, I can't comment on it's preservation ability. But..if my sock is representative of the general run of gunsocks, I wouldn't recommend them for the average Euro medieval period , cross hilted weapons. The reason..it's awkward to fit the sock over the usual size cross hilt..to my mind, if sock will stretch that wide, I feel it will wear through in fairly short order. Maybe my sock is a bit narrow, I don't know. For storing weapons with out cross hilts, they should be fine.

They make extra wide gun socks for guns fitted with oversize scopes. Standard sized guns socks could have a problem, but I intend to use the extra wide size that can be ordered from various merchants online...

D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be advised that when using a gun case for any length it should not be securely closed as many guns have been found with rust after prolonged closure. Leave it open to some extent so that it can breathe as this will prevent condensation.
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Phillip Caron wrote:
Be advised that when using a gun case for any length it should not be securely closed as many guns have been found with rust after prolonged closure. Leave it open to some extent so that it can breathe as this will prevent condensation.

Not using a gun case. Its to go into a safe with a desiccant. Mostly I want the gun sock on there to prevent the swords/scabbard from bumping and rubbing against each other or guns in the safe.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Storing swords in a Gun Sock
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic