Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Castlerock Museum Grand Opening Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Castlerock Museum Grand Opening         Reply with quote

The Castlerock Arms and Armour Museum in Alma WI will be having a grand opening event on May 12th.

http://www.castlerockmuseum.com/main/events.php

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Castlerock-Arms-and-Armor-Museum/144346078971618

As far as I know, we're still looking for people to come in period clothing, do demos, play Renaissance music, etc. Anyone interested can PM me and I'll put you in touch with the curator or chief docent.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have my kit together, or I'd jump in. I still plan on checking this out though--it's turning out to be a good thing to like in WI
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Latest announcement:

Everyone is invited to attend Castlerock Museum’s Gala Grand Opening Celebration on Saturday, May 12th, 2012 from 10 AM to 8 PM. This all day educational and fun event will take place at the Museum at 402 S. 2nd St. in Alma, WI.

There will be live martial arts presentations at 11, 1 and 2 showing the use of medieval and renaissance weapons. Participating will be members of ARMA, the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts and Viking re-enactors. A working blacksmith display from 11 to 5 will illustrate how arms and armor were made. A series of historical presentations on the Vikings, the Crusaders, Knights and the Code of Chivalry will take place at 12, 2 and 3 in the Museum Theatre area. Medieval harp music and medieval music during the day will enhance the ambience. At 5 PM the movie, “Kingdom of Heaven” will be shown in the theatre area.

Castlerock Museum brings a world class collection of arms, armor and art to our area. Come and see over 2000 years of actual arms and armor worn and used by Grecian warriors of Alexander the Great, Legionnaires of Julius Caesar, Dark Age warriors, Vikings, Crusaders and the Renaissance Knight in Shining Armor. Copies of period art illustrate the arms and armor in use. Display panels describe and picture each piece of arms and armor.

Door prizes will be drawn every hour. Hotdogs, Brats and Burger by Jimi’s Roadside Grill will be available during the day. The museum will be open for viewing all day from 10 AM to 8 PM. Many new exhibits have been added. Special reduced museum admission rates of $3 for adults and $2 for children will be in effect.

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Ben Dawson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alas I will be in Chicago this weekend but plan to come out soon! Very excited that this is in Wisconsin! Big Grin
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*BUMP*

This is today everyone! I hope to see you there.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Luke Kramer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you to all who attended our Grand Opening Gala! The weather was beautiful, and our turnout was superb, with the castle hosting over 260 guests. In case you missed, our regular hours (for the time being) remain 1-4 pm on Fridays and Saturdays. We have a facebook page and a website (www.castlerockmuseum.org) that are updated regularly.

Again, thank you to all who made this day such a success!
Thomas Peters

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Grand Opening!!!         Reply with quote

I attended the Grand opening of the Castle Rock Arms and Armor Museum this past weekend and was very impressed with what I saw. I must admit that this is the first time I have been to this type of museum display in person, I have however looked at many museum displays while on my computer. To see this first hand was truly wonderful.
If you live in the upper Midwest it is well worth your time to come and check out this collection.
What a wonderful treasure we have here in western Wisconsin. I urge all to come and see it!!!!!

Tribe Woden Thor historical re-enactors.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in WI now visiting family and I'm planning to go to this museum this Friday afternoon. Anyone else going to be going?
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I will try to visit some time on Friday. How big is it? The brochures are not to descriptive on this point
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai Lawson wrote:
I think I will try to visit some time on Friday. How big is it? The brochures are not to descriptive on this point

They are only open 1-4. I'm hoping there is about 3 hours worth of stuff to see. Happy

Happy

ChadA

T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm in WI now visiting family and I'm planning to go to this museum this Friday afternoon. Anyone else going to be going?

If you are looking for a place to eat, the town before Alma (if you are working your way up the Mississippi), is Fountain City. There is an Irish pub and restaurant there call the Monarch Public House. I enjoy stopping there Happy

As far as time, I have seen people there for 3 hours and for only 30 min.... It took me close to 3 hours my first visit. The collection is on two moderately sized floors, but is far far denser than you often see with many more items per foot. So go slow and take it all in. There is also reading material below the items that takes additional time should you choose to read.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the info and advice!
Luke Kramer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is also a restaurant in Alma (on the main highway) called Kate and Gracie's. It's pretty good.

Due to the collection being primarily of military weapons (and not very many parade pieces), one with an in-depth interest in the subject can expect at least an hour and a half of browsing, and that's a conservative estimate.

We apologize for our limited hours, but since our docent staff is entirely volunteer, it is the best we can do for now. Hopefully, after training in some new recruits, we can expand our hours for the particularly busy summer months.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your visit, and wish I was working this weekend to meet some members of this fine community!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a great time at the museum today. It's a nice collection and the folks there are great. I also enjoyed meeting Michael, Ben, and Kai there. Well worth the drive. Happy
Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Castlerock Museum Grand Opening
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic