Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom hilts - what are they made of? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Yeoh

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Custom hilts - what are they made of?         Reply with quote

just a question. What metals are used to create those fancy hilts as designed by people like Jody Samson or John Lundemo?

Brass? Mild Steel? some other steel?

thanks!

"Only a fool would go after the singing sword!" - Bugs Bunny
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jody's primary forte is Bronze casting. The Conan sword was (I think) one of the first well-known pieces to really explore the artistic capabilities of Bronze Casting, and Jody was off and running from there... Happy

Most other cutlers (at least that I know of) use mild steel in their hilts. There are a few cast brass and zinc hilt makers out there (much less than there were 15 years ago), but as these materials tend to fracture fairly easily, steel has become the norm.
Alex Yeoh

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank-you! any problems with bronze that you know of? For example - corrosion, brittleness?

thanks,
Alex

Scott Byler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If done with a proper 'bronze' then it will not be brittle at all. The stuff has a pretty good toughness to it. As for corrosion, it doesn't rust so much as develops a patina from oxidation. That comes off pretty easily (sometimes when you don't want it too... lol) But, bronze will last many lifetimes in good shape, hence the old relics we have now from tmes long gone that are bronze.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Kelty wrote:
Jody's primary forte is Bronze casting. The Conan sword was (I think) one of the first well-known pieces to really explore the artistic capabilities of Bronze Casting, and Jody was off and running from there... Happy

Most other cutlers (at least that I know of) use mild steel in their hilts. There are a few cast brass and zinc hilt makers out there (much less than there were 15 years ago), but as these materials tend to fracture fairly easily, steel has become the norm.

Most of Jody's recent work, as can be seen from his products available on his site, are now cast in mild steel. This has been true for years. He's worked with a fantastic roundary out here in California that is capable of doing very good work out of steel.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, thank you for the update... Happy

I used to see Jody working out of Tony Swatton's shop in Burbank, but hadn't really kept up with his works in the last 8 years or so... Happy

Alex, the really tricky part about Bronze is it's weight and strength compared to Iron or Steel. It's typically about 10% heavier than steel, as well as it's about 17% weaker, so a properly sized and weighted iron or steel hilt and pommel, if replicated exactly would add about half an ounce more per cubic inch of material, or if replicated to have the same durability, would add about 1 and a third ounces per cubic inch of material.

At what I'll guess to be about 12 cubic inches of material on your average swept hilt or complex guard, you can see it can easily add an extra half, and up to a full pound on a weapon.

It's pretty, it's easy to maintain, it's durable, but IMO it shouldn't be a primary material for a hilt.... Happy
Alex Yeoh

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

muchos gracias - thanks for the tip.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom hilts - what are they made of?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic