Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Gene's review of the CF ranger sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Demyen wrote:
Quote:
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might be interested to know that there's a used ranger for sale here:

I found the the 1415 sword on All Saints (funny how many Agincourt references come up when you do a "1415 sword" search)
What does the ranger go for, I haven't a clue as I have never seen one offered yet. I know what the asking price of the 1415s are. The post was asking for a $1,000 seems way too high for me.

Just make an offer. That's what I'd do. He asked for offers, too, so go for it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Lannon

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it comes with the Ranger scabbard and belt that would make the price a little more believable.
Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
David Stokes

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeh and he said it came with the scabbard and belt and considering its out of production and someone desirable by some, it is pretty much worth that brand new. Question is just because its limited, discontinued ect. does it hold its value?

Well, someone offered me $2,000 for my Ranger Kit and I turned them down........... value is in the eye of the beholder
Eugene George

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
yeh and he said it came with the scabbard and belt and considering its out of production and someone desirable by some, it is pretty much worth that brand new. Question is just because its limited, discontinued ect. does it hold its value?

Well, someone offered me $2,000 for my Ranger Kit and I turned them down........... value is in the eye of the beholder

You said it. Value is in the eye of the beholder... Whatever the market will bear. My Ranger is worth umpty-billion dollars to me. It's the only one that is magically lightened by little pixies after all.

Britanniam Video!
Galliam Video!
Subligacula Aliquae Video! - Author Unknown
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how Fletchers "Ranger" sword differs from his "Borderwatch"sword
inkothemgard!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Can someone tell me how Fletchers "Ranger" sword differs from his "Borderwatch"sword

They're both based on the movie sword. Looking at the pictures on our review of the Ranger and on CF's page for the Borderwatch, there are some differences. The Borderwatch is sort of a second edition of the Ranger. The Borderwatch has the band on the grip and a better-shaped (more complex) guard with incised decoration. The pommel of the BW is also slightly different in shape and has incised lines as well.

They may be based around different blades as well.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do they weigh the same?
inkothemgard!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Do they weigh the same?

I have no idea, but probably not. They may not be too far apart, but probably don't weigh exactly the same. The Ranger was a limited edition and has been sold out for a long time. The Borderwatch was a later edition, and a little fancier. It's still available from CF, I believe (it's on his website, at least).

Another difference between the Ranger and Borderwatch is that for the Borderwatch you could choose an Atrim blade or an Albion blade (the Crecy, I believe).

Happy

ChadA

Mike Harris

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan, there is some substantial difference in handling between the Ranger and Borderwatch. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Ranger uses an AT1415 as the base blade. The Borderwatch with ATrim blade uses the blade from an AT1313.

At least mine does, according to Gus a couple of days age. I love the way my Borderwatch handles, so I was quizzing him as to what baseline sword to look for to find the same handling with more historic flavor.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this isn't the Ranger sword, but here's a Borderwatch sword for sale right on this site:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12832

Looks like it's going for a good price too...

www.addisondelisle.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
I know this isn't the Ranger sword, but here's a Borderwatch sword for sale right on this site:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12832

Looks like it's going for a good price too...

Yeah, the price isn't bad. I just wish they wouldn't have used oak for the scabbard...

Happy

ChadA

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I kind of thought that too. But than I sort of became philosophical about it, "Other than being bulkier to carry than an all leather scabbard, whats wrong with oak. It would last longer for the ages I suppose. I'm a short guy anyway, carrying that on my hip would be a drag. It would make a better horse sword for me. Or like a tournement weapon that I would carry in my hands, scabbard and all." I also wish the grip was a different color. Like red or black.
inkothemgard!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
I kind of thought that too. But than I sort of became philosophical about it, "Other than being bulkier to carry than an all leather scabbard, whats wrong with oak. It would last longer for the ages I suppose. I'm a short guy anyway, carrying that on my hip would be a drag. It would make a better horse sword for me. Or like a tournement weapon that I would carry in my hands, scabbard and all." I also wish the grip was a different color. Like red or black.

I don't have a problem with the wood-cored scabbard at all. It's a very historical option (though the sword isn't necessarily Happy ) and plenty serviceable. I much prefer than to a leather sheath. A properly sized sheath isn't that bulky. The wood doesn't have to be thick. Think about it: The wood's purpose seems to be to impart some rigidity to the assembly, not to protect its steel contents which are, after all, much stronger than the wood itself. Happy

Oak is a bad choice for the wood though. The acids (tannins?) in oak don't do good things to steel over time. Poplar is a better choice.

Happy

ChadA

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah so.
inkothemgard!
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was the Ranger a faster sword than the Borderwatch?
inkothemgard!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Was the Ranger a faster sword than the Borderwatch?

Things like what feels "faster" are pretty subjective (ie. what one person feels is faster may be different than what others think). May I ask why you're so curious about a discontinued sword? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No reason especially, The Ranger is just something to compare to the Borderwatch.
inkothemgard!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Gene's review of the CF ranger sword?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: