Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass sword of St. Maurice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Here's another option, much nicer (and much more expensive) from Ares Academy in Italy: http://www.aresacademy.it/1-San%20Maurizio.html

Not to take this thread off track, but I had never even heard of this company... On first impressions based purely on the website they look really nice. Like Albion or A&A nice... Anyone have experience with them or seen one in person?

They are a relatively new company. They use CNC like Albion. There's a bit of info here: www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21549

Yes, they look pretty nice. I do wonder if they are blunt since they are made in Italy.

Yeah thats what I was wondering... Isn't Del Tin required to use that blunt edge due to laws in Italy? That would really be a shame if these do have the blunt edge, because they look pretty nice otherwise.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Yeah thats what I was wondering... Isn't Del Tin required to use that blunt edge due to laws in Italy? That would really be a shame if these do have the blunt edge, because they look pretty nice otherwise.

My understanding is that sharp swords are illegal to transport in Italy. I don't know if Italians can own sharpened swords.

But, yes, it would be unfortunate if this maker is only able to produce blunts as it removes a large segment of potential buyers.
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hey, they even put the little designs on the bottom of the guard (perdendicular to the blade) like the original. I believe A&A doesn't even have that! Someone actually did a little bit of research putting this thing together! How cute. Happy

I don't want to get too far off-topic, but I gotta vent- Windlass/MRL obviously have the capability of turning out some nice-looking fairly accurate pieces, designed from extant originals. The German Bastard Sword, their take on the Schloss Erbach, the Ulfbehrt, and a few others are/were pretty nice looking for their price point. Maybe the market just isn't there these days, but it seems like one must wait a long time these days to see a new product from them that doesn't look like a (deliberate or otherwise) caricature. In their niche price range, nobody should realistically expect highly accurate reproductions, but we've seen them produce swords in the past that looked reasonably studied and handled reasonably well. I for one would like to see them return to that.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

KOA has it in stock for $250.00 and I bought one just for the heck of it. Will post some pics and impressions when I get it. Gives me something to play with while I wait on a couple of customs. Cool
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm, I can see myself buying it off from you when you get tired of it and get something new... Wink
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is not really that bad looking. It is too heavy and clunky feeling to be considered a real user sword. I bought it knowing it was too heavy for actual use but thought it would be a nice display until I got it and the blade was 33 vice the advertised 37.5.

I mean if you were on a horse, you could put it to use on a passing blow. If you were on foot, I would recommend running away very fast.

The wire grip is done fairly well and is tight with no gaps. The guard and pommel are oversized.

To be fair, the original of this sword was not a real functional sword for use but ceremonial.

The scabbard works on my Albion Templar and one of my Del Tins so life is good.

I posted a sword review on the MRL Site and they contacted me and thanked me for pointing out their wrong blade length in the sword description. Also gave me a 20% off coupon on my next purchase.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Will

The A&A sword is quite nose heavy and some may feel the same way about handing these types of swords. There is some thought that the longer XI types were more suited to cavalry, so your mentioning it is apt. I am one that takes handling in stride though and the A&A is a much more handsome sword (to me) than the Windlass blade profile.

However (and I mentioned this in my earlier reply to this thread) I am overall disappointed that Windlass has concentrated more on ren faire and costume sector than concentrating on blade improvements. As this is part and parcel with a scabbard and the same basic blade profile we see of the themed (and build your own), it was that initial reaction in seeing this "historical" sword presented.

My own support for Windlass goes way back and there are some real pearls but too many seem to fall short of meeting a bar they could certainly meet if they cared to. They are making swords in patterns that sell (like the entire Robin Hod and Tudors line) that can be pumped out economically and this is leading to the kind of blah blade profiling, the less they have to remove from stock, the more profit they can make.

On the A&A sword, (if I was going to critique them beyond the inscriptions) I wonder if they are still doing the wire in the same fashion. In handing one a decade ago, I found the winding an wrap there a bit lacking. There was the wood core quite apparent in the thin and simple wound pair. Not so apparent at a rooms distance but it was the one thing that stood out aside from the aforementioned inscription.

Cheers

GC
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
It is not really that bad looking. It is too heavy and clunky feeling to be considered a real user sword. I bought it knowing it was too heavy for actual use but thought it would be a nice display until I got it and the blade was 33 vice the advertised 37.5.

I was wondering about that. It just didn't look that long in the picture. It appears to be one of their stock blades they have used on several swords such as the Kingdom of Heaven line. Unfortunately I would call that a real deal breaker.

William Swiger wrote:
To be fair, the original of this sword was not a real functional sword for use but ceremonial.

Although it was used for ceremonial purposes, its very similar to other plane jane XIs of the period and its thought the decorations were added at diferent later dates. It could have started its life as a weapon intended for war.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
On the A&A sword, (if I was going to critique them beyond the inscriptions) I wonder if they are still doing the wire in the same fashion. In handing one a decade ago, I found the winding an wrap there a bit lacking. There was the wood core quite apparent in the thin and simple wound pair. Not so apparent at a rooms distance but it was the one thing that stood out aside from the aforementioned inscription.

I've had an older model and now a newer model after they made some improvements. The old one was as you described but the newer ones are much nicer. The A&A model is not perfect but its worth the price in my opinion.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass sword of St. Maurice
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: