Medieval joke
Hey Guys:

I read this at an airplane model website I often visit. It's a new joke to me, but I apologize if you've read it before and it is too silly for you:

"The fattest knight at King Arthur's court was Sir Cumference. He got big from eating too much Pi."

I know ... off with my head right?
Re: Medieval joke
Dustin Faulkner wrote:

I know ... off with my head right?

You know, tempting people on this site with such a suggestion is a little unwise. ;D
There's a whole series of those based around that idea. Sir Up, Sir Loin, Sir Pryze, Sir Tainly....
Pretty silly, but amusing.
The thread title had me expecting an actual period joke. Now there's something I don't know much about. Period humor would be fun to see.
Quinn W. wrote:
There's a whole series of those based around that idea. Sir Up, Sir Loin, Sir Pryze, Sir Tainly....
Pretty silly, but amusing.
The thread title had me expecting an actual period joke. Now there's something I don't know much about. Period humor would be fun to see.

Two jokes I have been told are from the Middle Ages (I haven't actually researched them myself, but I have more confidence in the first than in the second):

What gets heavier the more holes it has? An haubergeon.

Why are there no cedar trees in Lebanon? Because everyone has a piece of the true cross. (Lebanon was famous for its cedar in ancient times, but became largely deforested, and the trade in fake relics in the Middle East was a booming one.)
My favorite was from Looney Tunes. There was a hefty knight in the episode about the Singing Sword. I believe his name was Sir Loin of Beef. ^u^
I have a book i bought in Paris, "Medieval Mischief" the bulk of which revolves around statues and gargoyles found on medieval churches
And then for those who may not have already seen it there is: " THE MEDIEVAL HELP DESK "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ
I hadn't seen that Jean. I'm still laughing.

Sent from my ancient computer
Sarcasm and practical jokes were the most common form of humor in 14th century.

This is actually an example:

One merchant ask another "are you married?"..
"I had three wives but all hanged themselves from a tree in my garden" the second merchant responds. The first merchant retort, "Pray, give me a cutting from this miraculous tree."

*plop*
13th century joke

A man from Troyes was visiting family in Paris. While there a man asked him what people from Troyes do. "We ring," was his reply.

Troyes was famous for it many large churchs. Lots of bells.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: