4-quillioned two-handed claymore, blade information.
The sword I'm referring to is this one from the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.

[ Linked Image ]

I have little interest in the the hilt of this sword. I prefer the humor of filling in the blanks there myself.

I am interested in the blade.
Are there any known dimensions and date for this blade? I assume it's German import. If so, is this a standard blade model that was exported, and the dimensions known based off of that?

I'm mostly wondering if the blade was actually intended to be used in combat, it looks more spry than some of the other diamond cross-sectioned claymores I've seen.
Hi Vincent,
If only I had logged on Sunday evening! I was in the Nat. Museum yesterday and could have estimated some dimensions for you. However, I can tell you that the blade of the 4-quilloned sword (no. L 1977.5) is most likely a standard German export, 5 inch ricasso with 2 narrow fullers at the edges of the ricasso + a longer central fuller for another 5 inches or so then it becomes very flattened diamond section. No visible (through the glass case) marks but it is very heavily patinated, so much that none would be visible anyway. Rounded (worn/corroded?) tip. Could certainly have been a fighting blade, though the hilt suggests 'parade - ceremony'. It is commonly known as the 'Hawthornden Claymore'. If I find any more info I'll post it.
Neil

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: