The sword of Grünewald's Resurrection
Hi everybody!
Looking through an art book, the photo of the Resurrection by Matthias Grünewald captured my attention.
It was for the three soldiers depicted in the lower half of the painting and, in particular, the sword of the one in foreground.

Someone has an idea of what type of sword it could be?

I could not recognise the style of the hilt, but I have the neat perception to have already seen something similar in some topic around in this wonderful site...

Attachment: 156.77 KB
The painting [ Download ]

Attachment: 170.55 KB
The particular of the three soldiers [ Download ]
Ah, I've forgotten: the painting was made in 1512-1516! :D
Thanks for the painting; I didn't know Grünewald. Very cool from an art history point of view - looks like he was a Surealist centuries before Dali.

That sword looks very familiar somehow. Didn't Windlass have a sword with a hilt like that a few years back? I think they called it something like 'German Warsword' or 'German Bastard Sword', but they've reused similar names so many times its hard to remember.
J.D. Crawford wrote:

That sword looks very familiar somehow. Didn't Windlass have a sword with a hilt like that a few years back? I think they called it something like 'German Warsword' or 'German Bastard Sword', but they've reused similar names so many times its hard to remember.

Do you mean this?
German Hand And A Half 501050
In effect the pommel has the same shape...!

Attachment: 198.92 KB
257_2_.jpg

Yes, that's the one, but as you say the cross is not quite the same. I like the one in the painting. Looks like the blade would be an XV if a real model was used. 'Records' XV.10 is also a bit like this. Unfortunately I don't know this era very well. Looks like something that would be right up Sean Flynt's alley.
Eureka! :)

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13868

I had in mind precisely THIS topic! There are many pommels like that (type "U" I guess...), with different blades...
In effect, the scabbard lets only to conjecture about the blade type, assuming that the author actually used a real model, but I too thought that it could be a XV, maybe a XVIII...

Only for curiosity, is there a system to classify a blade from its scabbard?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: