Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Concussions and CTE Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Concussions and CTE         Reply with quote

Though it is not been determined if Junior Seau had CTE - I would like to impress upon all of my friends, especially those that joust or fight SCA/WMA/BoTN - to really be aware of how concussions can really screw up your life, and possibly end it.

Back in 2005, I suffered what was probably my 12th or 13th concussion while jousting at the Silverleaf Ren Faire. That was the first week of August and I have absolutely no memory of anything happening after that until November of the same year (even then, its a bit cloudy and hit/miss until Summer 2007 - which Lisa didn't even know until now).

During that time I managed to severely injure one of my friends and screwed up enough in my career to lose a job that I really loved doing.

I was diagnosed with severe, and now chronic, depression and have been on medication for it since then. I developed migraines, which I now have a few times a month, and I still have some short-term memory issues (thankfully, that has decreased markedly over the past four years).

Why am I "coming out" with this? Because in the Medieval Martial Art world, we are just as damn prone to hide our serious brain injuries as pro football players. One or two concussions may not be that bad, but repetitive ones are. They lead to a number of secondary issues (see below) that can really have a significant impact on your life.

If you've taken a few "dingers" to the head (most of us also played football and rugby, its not just our Medieval Martial Arts that can cause these) and you are not feeling "right" - get your self checked.

If you notice that you have the signs of depression - get help. It doesn't heal on its own, it only gets worse, and you are not being weak by asking for help.

The signs and symptoms of a concussion can be subtle and may not be immediately apparent. Symptoms can last for days, weeks or even longer.

The most common symptoms after a concussive traumatic brain injury are headache, amnesia and confusion. The amnesia, which may or may not be preceded by a loss of consciousness, almost always involves the loss of memory of the impact that caused the concussion.

Signs and symptoms of a concussion may include:

Headache or a feeling of pressure in the head
Temporary loss of consciousness
Confusion or feeling as if in a fog
Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
Dizziness or "seeing stars"
Ringing in the ears
Nausea or vomiting
Slurred speech
Fatigue

Some symptoms of concussions may be immediate or delayed in onset by hours or days after injury:

Concentration and memory complaints
Irritability and other personality changes
Sensitivity to light and noise
Sleep disturbances
Psychological adjustment problems and depression
Disorders of taste and smell

None of us are Superman and you only get one you. With the advances in padding technology, like Unequal Technologies, it looks like we can greatly reduce the chance of traumatic brain injuries in our sports. But for right now, take care of yourself.

http://www.bu.edu/cste/about/what-is-cte/

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Lloyd. I used to box - I loved the sport and getting hit but not going down was a source of pride for boxers.

After I realize how damaging it was long term to the body, I no longer care much for the sport.

I luckily do not seem to have any effects yet (knock on wood). I only was kkocked unconcious once, but I'm sure the repeated blows to the head, even through a padded glove were not a good thing.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up Lloyd and for sharing your personal story.

When I read about about Junior Seau my initial thoughts turned to jousters, and recent videos I have seen of pole weapon tournaments with metal polaxes. I googled HEMA WMA CTE and didn't find anything.

This topic reminds me of Henry VIII's jousting accident in January 1536 which is said to have altered his personality for the remainder of his reign. Viewed through a modern lens I wonder if years of jousting with the addition of this substantial blow, that is said to have knocked him unconscious 2 hours, was not CTE or a similar injury-

Stay safe everyone.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Concussions and CTE
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic