Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Viking boots? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a viking shoes by Revival US...

http://revival.us/vikingshoe.aspx

http://revival.us/jorvikstylevikingboots.aspx

And quite a number of other shoes and boots...

http://revival.us/historicalshoesclothesandaccessories.aspx

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
Here is a viking shoes by Revival US...

http://revival.us/vikingshoe.aspx

http://revival.us/jorvikstylevikingboots.aspx

And quite a number of other shoes and boots...

http://revival.us/historicalshoesclothesandaccessories.aspx

I'd encourage anyone thinking about buying from Revival.us to read this.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Viking boots         Reply with quote

Hi Bill

Its a difficult question you ask as little extant footwear exists from the period so some compromises have to be made based on what little evidence there is available at present and some common sense.

A recent extant shoe find dated to the 3rd C from Norway appears to be a one piece turn shoe of a type that is known from the later viking age.

From Sutton Hoo a shoe has been postulated and is not unlike the one described as 'Merowingian shoe' on the craftsman's site I provided earlier.

Some folk wear Late Roman models complete with the hobnails and again this would appear not be unreasonable as their is evidence in the form of remaining hobnails in-situ from Krefeld Gellup.

In the Cuny Museum are also a pair of shoes with attached leather garters but these are generally reconstructed as been worn by females.

Again there are the usual one piece germanic iron age shoes which I should imagine may have be worn by the lower classes.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Wilhelm S.

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Viking boots         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Hi Bill

Its a difficult question you ask as little extant footwear exists from the period so some compromises have to be made based on what little evidence there is available at present and some common sense.

A recent extant shoe find dated to the 3rd C from Norway appears to be a one piece turn shoe of a type that is known from the later viking age.

From Sutton Hoo a shoe has been postulated and is not unlike the one described as 'Merowingian shoe' on the craftsman's site I provided earlier.

Some folk wear Late Roman models complete with the hobnails and again this would appear not be unreasonable as their is evidence in the form of remaining hobnails in-situ from Krefeld Gellup.

In the Cuny Museum are also a pair of shoes with attached leather garters but these are generally reconstructed as been worn by females.

Again there are the usual one piece germanic iron age shoes which I should imagine may have be worn by the lower classes.

best
Dave

Perfect, thank you. I have a friend that makes shoe's. I will start my research asap!
Dan Rosen

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The portion of Revival.us which carries medieval goods (not the book end) is under new management and so far things seem much better. They've separated from the folks who were causing issues.

That said, for both Revival and Bohemond, I've noticed that some of their shoes are a little strange from a historical standpoint and the scholarship which guides their products seems...off a bit. My focus is on late 16th/early 17th century stuff, but perhaps this will help guide purchases from either vendor. Many of the items they carry are quite good I'm sure, but I'm left a little confused by some. Bohemond's Mary Rose shoe looks nothing like shoes from the time period he's shooting for, nor is there anything in the books he cites from even close to 1545. That shoe is closer to designs from about 60 years after that date, and even then the shapes and nuances of the design are very strange. Revival's new 16th-18th century Work Shoe is pretty odd as well. They're really vague about the sources they used and the design doesn't really fit in such a broad timeline...really more of a specific type from the early 17th century.

Anyways, I didn't mean to divert the topic of conversation too much. Buyer beware and do your homework before you purchase!

-Dan Rosen

"One day there will be no more frontier, and men like you will go too."
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Rosen wrote:
The portion of Revival.us which carries medieval goods (not the book end) is under new management and so far things seem much better. They've separated from the folks who were causing issues.

I learned this same information just two weeks ago. The Revival.us "contact us" web page has been updated. I had the chance to spar with Mr. Adkins and get to know him a little. He seems to be working very hard on replenishing inventory and repairing relationships.

I believe Johan will be happy with his recent purchase as it seems to suit his needs. For a truly historically accurate shoe, does one need to go to a custom maker?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Dan Rosen

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably.

The shoes made by Westland Crafts, a wholesaler, and carried by Viking Leather Crafts, Reconstructing History, and several other vendors are generally based directly off patterns from "Stepping Through Time" and other sources are generally pretty accurate. The manner in which the soles are affixed isn't quite right for most periods I believe, but by and large theirs are quite good. Once again tapping into my focus on later period stuff, most of their 16th and 15th century shoes are very close. One of their designs that they call a 16th century lachet is actually closer to post 1620's...so you can't win them all.

For the very very best, and generally custom, I can't recommend Sarah Juniper from the UK highly enough. Unfortunately, I'm not privileged to own her shoes, but I know several people who have worked with her and they're just stunning. Spot on accuracy and a dedication to doing things right. She covers everything from Roman on up, so anyone here would probably be in good hands. http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/

-Dan Rosen

"One day there will be no more frontier, and men like you will go too."
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second what Dan has said: Sarah's shoes are the very best. I own two pais of 16th Century shoes from her (the T2 variant, MR replicas at the top of her Tudor page are mine!) and they are perfect in every detail.

I cannot recommend her highly enough.
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: medieval and norse shoes         Reply with quote

There is also Chris Bowen, at http://medievalshoes.com/ . His shoes are based on pieces in his collection, shoes he has handled in museums, and published examples.
mark

Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Lloyd Clark wrote:
Frank at Viking Leather Crafts has a nice selection of boots, that are sturdy, affordable and period:

Viking Leather Crafts

Lloyd...

Where are these folks located? There is a fox fur sporran on their site at what I consider to be a ridiculously low price. I want one. I could not find an address for them in the contact information.

Thanks...

Another thing about Frank Ireson at Viking Leather Crafts, you will not find a more attentive merchant in the US. If you need any further recommendations - just spend a few minutes on the Armour Archive and search for Viking Leather in the Want Ads/Classifieds...he is good people.

Oh heck, I did it for you:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/search...mit=Search

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Lloyd. Those are great endorsements for Viking Leather Craft.

I have ordered the formal sporran - just could not wait. I noticed that it disappeared from the site after I ordered so apparently there was only one available. I look forward to getting it. The photos certainly show a high quality item and I am sure the actual sporran will be just as pictured.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Lin,

I help Frank out with his marketing a little bit and the sporrans were something that he was just looking at stocking. He only put together a few to see how well they would sell (I have to admit, I wanted to get that one as well, just couldn't swing it right now).

Trust me, you will love the service and the product that comes from Viking Leather Crafts. Frank is a true gentleman and an awesome person to do business with.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a problem with the order and Frank emailed me right away to solve it. Very fast service!

A few of my local SCA fighting practice friends have the same shoes with the vibram soles.
I use american football shoes right now (all black but still awful looking) and I've been envious of their vastly better looking shoes that also have almost the same traction even though it's a flat sole compared to my cleats. The sole is also very discreet, especially on grass, you can't even see it when they walk around.

Yeah, I think this was a good choice. Can't wait to get them.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Viking boots         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:

Turned shoes that have the extended sole raising up the back of the heel tend to prevent your problem a bit, but you could always perhaps consider putting within the inside a hidden reinforcing piece to help the problem without compromising the external appearance. Just a thought.

Heel reenforcements were quite common over the whole of the middle ages.
You won't see them on the outside and the really help keeping the heel from rolling under your foot.
As a find from an archaeological dig they mostly look like a triangular piece of leather. If the researcher is lucky still connected to some parts of the shoe.

I used them on this late medieval boot (note the second attached sole as well):
http://Isentosamballerer.deviantart.com/art/V...&qo=14

You can actually see the piece on this reconstruction of a 14th century pair I made.
http://Isentosamballerer.deviantart.com/art/T...&qo=10

I think I may have a drawing that shows how the piece is attached to the shoe. I have to look it up.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Viking boots         Reply with quote

Hi Arne

Internal heel reinforcements as discussed are also not uncommon on viking age footwear. Soles that extend up the back of the heel are also known and prevent the rolling problem, I have a pair of 11th C shoes with the same feature described as Anglo-Norman modelled after a find near London Bridges.

best
Dave

Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Viking boots         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:

Internal heel reinforcements as discussed are also not uncommon on viking age footwear. Soles that extend up the back of the heel are also known and prevent the rolling problem,

I know, I am writing my phd thesis on a couple of leather finds from the city of Stade in Germany. Happy
The low shoe I posted is one of the shoes from that find complex.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Viking boots         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:

Dave, is that one of the Breheimen shoes, from the hunter's camp? I've only seen pics of the tunic, nothing on any of the other 3rd C finds.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sporran came on Friday and is great - just as advertised. I called Frank and thanked him for his work. Apparently I got the only one in red fox fur but he says he has a silver fox pelt he will probably use to make another. I have encouraged him to continue to do so. Very nice work.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Viking boots         Reply with quote

Ey up Matt

Correct. The image that I saw is not particularly good as the shoe/boot was still in situ so my interpretation was based on this and it may be when the finds have come back from the conservators to be wholly different! I'll see if I can find the direct image link again. The tunic itself is very interesting too and it will be good to see any interim report when it surfaces no doubt via NESAT.

best
Dave

David Huggins

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found it Matt.

Here it is in-situ http://www.oppland.no/Klimapark2469-English/P...n-glacier/
but as I suspected after conservation it turns out to look like your ubiquitous one piece simple shoe, see here
http://www.oppland.no/Bildegallerier/klimapar...o_bak.jpg.

Okay for your average reindeer hunter I suppose but I suspect your average princling would go for something a
bit more up-market!

best
Dave

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Viking boots?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: