Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Earl. A&A Durer Bastard Sword, ATrim XVIII(?) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent C wrote:
If longswords were so terrible to use one handed, why were longswords like the ones on both side of this photo created?

Both of those swords are hand-and-a-half swords.

Quote:
These were obviously designed for one-handed use.

This is incorrect. They are certainly able to be used one-handed in some capacity (hence the term "hand-and-a-half" being applied) but to imply they were specifically designed for such is simply not accurate.

I believe your notion of scale to be completely inaccurate. These hilts are hand-and-a-half proportioned. I think you are assuming they are shorter/smaller than they are. Compare the hilt length to the hand-and-a-half sword in the middle of the photo that you provided. They are not single-handed in proportion. The last third of the grip and the pommel are meant for the second hand. They are not sized like a rapier or similar hilt would be sized.

You need to see these swords first-hand and you will change your notion of them.

Here is an even smaller example of a similar hilt:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, the use of long-handled swords one-handed in period military artwork as well as fencing manual such as Fiore, Talhoffer, Paulus Kal, and Mair demonstrates that such weapons functioned well enough in this capacity. While such long-handled swords might be slightly less agile in one hand than dedicated single-handed weapons on foot, their prevalence amongst mounted warriors persuades me they provide just as good cavalry service as any blade. As noted previously, the long handle facilitated couching sword like a lance - a technique that appears in one of Mair's horse-against-foot plates.

Do any of the knightly fifteenth century sources like Fiore, Talhoffer, and Paulus Kal ever made any distinction between long-handed swords and dedicated single-handed blades? As far as I know, it's just "sword" for them.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aleksei Sosnovski wrote:
So I have to repeat: "these are usually not intended for continuous agile one-handed fencing but can be used to deliver both cuts and thrusts one-handed". These are at a disadvantage when fighting out of armor and especially on foot.

Except when they weren't. Wink Again, Aleksei, I'm not trying to say you're completely wrong. In fact, a lot of what you're saying I more-or-less agree with, or at least I agree with the general idea. But what I'm trying to say you're stating a lot of absolute facts that are not backed up by historical sources. If Paulus Kal taught the use of a longsword on foot one handed with a buckler, then I think I will take his word over the experiences of modern people. He, after, knew better than you or I.

Quote:
Just take your longsword in one hand, find an opponent with skill equal to yours, give him a one-handed sword with a comparably long blade and fight. Or give him the same longsword and let him use it two-handed. You'll see the difference.

I do this all the time. In fact, I've gotten to handle hundreds of antique longswords from a number of collections, including museums such as the Veste Coburg. Some longswords feel better with both hands, some will feel great one handed and are the same size. I also teach historical martial arts for a living, and do this with quite a range of weapons. You can't make such a broad generalization based on no facts beyond you playing around with modern replicas and expect people to not question you on it.

Quote:
Bill Grandy wrote:
A modern movie is not the same thing. Modern movies are entertainment for modern audiences. Many of the illustrations and treatises we have come from historical people who were writing for the sake of educating other historical fighters, not for entertainment.
Oh, I like cleaved helmets and people in armor cut in half! Bill, pictures are not photos. You should never fully trust them

That's quite a bold statement to make. Do you study period manuscripts? Do you know anything about the contexts in which these illustrations were created? Because if so, then your comments don't agree with the experts. This was an expensive manuscript to create. I'm one of the lucky few people who got to go through the original manuscript that's housed in the store rooms of the Vienna Art Museum in Austria, page by page, and it's huge. It's the size of a coffee table book. It is beautifully detailed, to the point where you can see the individual rivets of the armor, and the straps, and the way the clothing points. Those details are shockingly accurate. If you think this expensive, highly detailed work, published by a master swordsman, for other swordsman, is wrong, then I'm not sure what more you want. We're not talking about the Maciejowski Bible, which is what I assume you are referencing with "cleaved helmets", which is not even remotely on the same level of accuracy because it is filled of hyperbole to illustrate a religious text. Rather it is a treatise WITH TEXT for other fighters during an age where art was becoming more and more realistic.

You've already made up your mind, and the historical evidence isn't worthwhile to you, so perhaps there's little else to say.

Quote:
So to sum it up, some if not most "true" longswords can be used effectively in one hand in certain situations. But they are at a disadvantage when compared to same sword used two-handed or to a dedicated one-handed sword of the same length and weight.

So what's a "true longsword"? You want specific evidence that historical people sometimes chose to use a longsword one handed for extensive continuous use (despite the fact that you ignore the hard evidence), yet I've never heard of a "true longsword" in a historical text.

I think, Aleksei, you have made a comment that can sometimes be true in some cases, and when people have said it isn't true 100% of the time, you've decided to say that everyone else, and all of the evidence, is wrong.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Vincent C

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I believe your notion of scale to be completely inaccurate.

It was not. I knew they were hand and a halves/bastards. I meant that the way they were built seems more geared to facilitate one-handed gripping more than other longsword designs. The grips themselves are much smaller, with most if not all of the second hand resting on the pommel.

I said in the post that I couldn't say how they may have handled because I know little about them. For all I know, the mass of the swords could make them behemoths. They could also be hilariously thin. But compared to other longswords, these seem to welcome a one-handed grip much more than their counterparts.

If you've seen and handled one in person can you elaborate on what they're like? I've always wondered. Unfortunately the closest I've seen to that style in person is a hand and a half at the national native american museum, and the blade and hilt were still very different from these.

Honor, compassion, knowledge.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent C wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I believe your notion of scale to be completely inaccurate.

It was not. I knew they were hand and a halves/bastards. I meant that the way they were built seems more geared to facilitate one-handed gripping more than other longsword designs. The grips themselves are much smaller, with most if not all of the second hand resting on the pommel.

I said in the post that I couldn't say how they may have handled because I know little about them. For all I know, the mass of the swords could make them behemoths. They could also be hilariously thin. But compared to other longswords, these seem to welcome a one-handed grip much more than their counterparts.

If you've seen and handled one in person can you elaborate on what they're like? I've always wondered. Unfortunately the closest I've seen to that style in person is a hand and a half at the national native american museum, and the blade and hilt were still very different from these.

Fair enough. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Vincent K

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I own a Dürer. I would not want to have to use it one-handed dismounted against someone using the same sword with two hands, but I think it would be fine mounted and single-hand, as suggested not only by its own characteristics but also by ample artistic evidence of mounted use of longswords. Dürer himself sheds light on this in his drawings and the AA sword It is true to the type. It's a true longsword and I don't use the term interchangeably with "bastard sword," which in my understanding is a blade of single-hand length but with a hand-and-a-half grip for an overall length noticeably shorter than a true longsword, which I tend to associate with an overall length of ~48". I can't readily defend those distinctions historically, but I do find them to be useful.

Bill Grandy wrote:
Bringing this back to the original topic: It's true that some swords simply don't feel that great in one hand, and I feel that the Earl is such a sword. The balance is a little more towards the point, making it powerful in two hands, but a little sluggish one handed. I would not prefer it as a weapon from horseback. The Durer is much livelier, but would not have the same cleaving power. It would handle much better one handed, though it is heavy enough that you would certainly need to train with it one handed before that would feel natural (which is true of most longswords).

@Bill and Sean: Thanks for sharing your feedback on the Durer! Happy It sounds like the consensus is that it's pretty good in one hand, but two hands would be better.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
C) The lighter longswords that I would call True Bastard Swords ( My definition ) that are designed to be effectively used single and/or two handed.

Would you happen to have any suggestions that fall into this category? Big Grin

[Edit: merging posts]
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent K wrote:

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
C) The lighter longswords that I would call True Bastard Swords ( My definition ) that are designed to be effectively used single and/or two handed.

Would you happen to have any suggestions that fall into this category? Big Grin

[Edit: merging posts]

Based only on quality reproductions that one can assume are well researched and at least consistent with the handling of period originals I would say that I find my A&A Black Prince light and easy to use one handed without it slowing me down or tiring me out much faster than a dedicated short handled one hander.

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword034.html

Still the same sword when used two handed goes from fast to incredibly fast. Wink

The idea to me is that one would use it two handed if one's other hand is not needed to hold a shield or control a horse, one is not seriously handicapped using it one handed but one can be much more effective using it two handed.

One can also let go of the handle with one hand to use wrestling techniques when in very close and still be able to use the sword defensively or to finish the fight if the opponent is for a moment immobilized.

Other swords like the A&A English Longsword looks to me as it would be good one or two handed, although with the Black Prince I'm more certain since I own one and have personal experience with it's handling:
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword194.html

This one, Schloss Erbach Arming Sword: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword082.html
I would think would also be considered usable one or two handed, but I'm guessing it would be more difficult to use one handed for an extended exchange.

I think that there is no easy answer as it's more a question of a range of weigh and presence that vary from easy to transition from one to two handed use tactically in context, to more difficult until it becomes wise to go to two hands whenever possible. ( Just opinion here. Wink Big Grin ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Based only on quality reproductions that one can assume are well researched and at least consistent with the handling of period originals I would say that I find my A&A Black Prince light and easy to use one handed without it slowing me down or tiring me out much faster than a dedicated short handled one hander.

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword034.html

Still the same sword when used two handed goes from fast to incredibly fast. Wink

Good call, Jean, I totally forgot about that sword. That's quite a nice one in both one and two hands.

Quote:
Other swords like the A&A English Longsword looks to me as it would be good one or two handed, although with the Black Prince I'm more certain since I own one and have personal experience with it's handling:
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword194.html

That one is more of a one hander that happens to have a long grip, but it isn't a bad idea nonetheless.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Vincent K

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Jean: Interesting! I would have guessed that the Black Prince would have been harder to handle one handed than the Schloss Erbach Arming sword due to the weight difference. It does seem logical that there a "continuum" of bastard swords exist, though it does make finding one that matches one's preferred style a bit more of a challenge Happy

@Bill: I was a bit worried about the the blade length for that English longsword (it's an inch or two shorter than Silver's specs), but the weight does seem like it'd fit the bill for easy handling in one or two hands.

Benjamin wrote:
I love Paul's book, but I don't find his interpretation of this passage convincing. Silver regularly uses "long" and "short" comparatively but never employs "long sword" as a synonym for "two hand sword."

Hm, that's an interesting thought. Another interpretation I've seen is that in single and double hand play, the longer sword has the advantage (assuming the longer sword is wielded by a person for whom that longer length would be of the ideal length).

Quote:
It can be summarizes as follows: reach wins up to perfect length, which is three feet for single-handed weapons and eight to nine feet for two-handed weapons. The matter of montante against longsword breaks this pattern, however, if you interpret Silver as giving odds to the latter.

I think Silver seems to advocate getting "inside" a weapon that's longer than the ideal length to gain the advantage via crossing and uncrossing, although I'm uncertain if he ever further elaborates on this.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
A modern movie is not the same thing. Modern movies are entertainment for modern audiences. Many of the illustrations and treatises we have come from historical people who were writing for the sake of educating other historical fighters, not for entertainment.
I have to bring up Fiore again. These illustrations are often pretty far from reality. They were meant to remind people the techniques that they already knew so the reader was perfectly aware of the context that we have to guess today. And some of these manuals seem to be an advertisement more than anything else so not so far from a modern movie.

I've been studying Fiore for two years now, and when I started I remember looking through the manual at certain depictions and thinking, there is just no way. The one I'm think of in particular shows a dagger attack that ends with the attackers dagger hand between his own legs and the defender flipping him from behind. Since then I've seen how its not only possible but a workable technique.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:
I have to bring up Fiore again. These illustrations are often pretty far from reality. They were meant to remind people the techniques that they already knew so the reader was perfectly aware of the context that we have to guess today. And some of these manuals seem to be an advertisement more than anything else so not so far from a modern movie.

Hi Matthew,
I'm afraid I'm confused. Was your first paragraph meant to be quoting Aleksei?

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, Yes the second paragraph was Aleksei. I must have lost those quotes when editing down the original post to the portion I wanted clarified.

I was just curious which illustrations he found unrealistic.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
Sorry, Yes the second paragraph was Aleksei. I must have lost those quotes when editing down the original post to the portion I wanted clarified.

I was just curious which illustrations he found unrealistic.

Illustrations of armored combat techniques without armor.

There are many, many problems with these manuals. But don't start thinking that I am calling them useless. They just depict only some aspects of a martial art. For example half-swording in armor. Some people today advocate half-swording as the only viable technique against armor. But actually a basic cut is extremely effective if it lands full-power on someone's fingers and that someone is wearing fingered gauntlets or no gauntlets at all. Telling somebody to cut at fingers is just as needless as telling somebody to avoid receiving strong blows on his fingers. The person should anyway know it.

Drawings are another problem, they often feature wrong proportions. Judging exact hilt length from pictures such as ones in Kal's manual is a bit problematic. We can tell for sure if a sword has a short or a long hilt, but we can't tell exactly how long it is (and some longswords, especially ones with shorter hilts, are better suited for one-handed use).

Gladiatoria is another example, showing armored techniques without gauntlets. While these techniques are possible without gauntlets (which is I believe what is meant by such illustrations) many half-swording moves are too dangerous without gauntlets (though, I repeat, not impossible). These manuscripts have pictures and text, but they are just a fraction, just an essence of the whole art taught by the master, missing many small but important details.

I know that some strange situations such as this "dagger between the legs" do indeed occur. Some people are really clumsy and/or do very strange things due to lack of experience. After all I can effectively wrestle and win over guys who weigh over 90 kg (I weigh about 64 kg so the difference in weight is about 1.5 times) though I never actually learned wrestling. But it doesn't mean that these things work against a skilled opponent. Most of these flashy moves become totally useless as soon as your opponent learns what you can do in one or another situations. Fights between more or less equal opponents usually consist of very simple actions.

Bill, when you say that "true" longswords (and I posted my classification earlier in this thread so please don't ask why you don't see this classification in any historical documents, It is my own after all) were used for continuous agile fencing please provide some evidence. And don't show me pictures of mounted men-at-arm using such swords. I would like to see unarmored person using such sword on foot (or at least on horse that is standing still or slowly walking) when he had a choice of using another sword. Because it is obvious that if the only sword you have is a longsword and your second hand is busy you will use whatever you have, especially when this whatever is not too bad.

Don't think that everything that is depicted is true and perfect (actually I am quite sure that you don't think so). If armored knights in Gladiatoria are shown without gauntlets it does not mean that fighting with bare hands is just as good as fighting in gauntlets. And swords with long hilts used one-handed in Kal's manual don't mean that such swords are just as good as any one-handed sword. What we can be more or less sure of is that it is possible to use depicted techniques without gauntlets or with a longsword in one hand. But we cannot say how good it is unless we try it. And even if we do what works for one may not work for other. If you weigh 100 kg you can probably wield a longsword in one hand just as well as I wield a one-hander. But if you take a dedicated one-hander and a similar sword but with a long hilt I think you will admit that one-hander is a bit faster and more comfortable. The problem is that it is very difficult to find 2 swords, one with short and another with long hilt, that are similar enough in their characteristics to make a valid comparison. As far as I remember Sean had a one-handed sword made with Hanwei Tinker longsword blade. Maybe he could tell us his opinion on how this sword behaves compared to a longsword with same blade used one-handed?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aleksei,
I don't mean any offense by this, but most of your ideas about fencing treatises seem to come from a misunderstanding of what the manuscripts actuall are. These were not ads for the general public in the same way that ads are used in modern marketing. Some were meant to preserve the art, some we don't know anything about, but even the ones that are more like "ads" are actually more analogous to the modern resume. They were porfolios to show a patron, and more likely than not, that patron had been around weapons, and had already employed professional masters of arms, so it wasn't like the patron was ignorant of fighting. I'm one of the lucky few who's gotten a chance to page through the original Peter Falkner manuscript housed in Vienna, and one of the really cool things about it is that it's bound in a small leather travel case (much like those cheap journals they sell to teenagers at bookstores) so that Falkner could take it with him to present to a potential client. It was not, however, used to drum up ignorant customers, because a book with text would have been a very poor way of doing that, particularly with how expensive they were to produce one at a time.

And the idea that most of the techniques shown are just the "fancy" techniques suggests to me that you misunderstand the treatises. Again, I'm not trying to cause offense, but the "fancy" stuff is by far the minority of techniques shown. Case in point: If you believe the under the leg grappling technique is an unusual technique that won't work on an experienced wrestler, then you simply haven't trained in enough wrestling (it exists in other martial arts, including modern wrestling). You also said that two equally skilled swordsman wouldn't use the techniques in the treatises but instead would use simple blows... ask a high level HEMA fencer, or a Kendoka, or epee fencer, or someone who practices any sword art at a high level if that's true, and I think they'd laugh. That's not meant to be an insult, but it is definitely meant to challenge your position. I train people professionally, so I'd like to think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.

You're asking for actual textual evidence of a "true longsword". That isn't going to happen, since you yourself admit that you're using this term in a non-historical way. What you'll find is plenty of historical evidence of people describing using a sword, and many of these have very detailed pictures of swords with long hilts. Despite the fact that the Paulus Kal fechtbuch is so detailed that you can count the number of rivits in the armor, and despite the fact that such a detailed and expensive treatise so consistently shows the longsword being used over and over, you insist that this evidence is not acceptable. Well, if we go down that route, we may as well question what we had for breakfast last week (I for one don't keep written evidence of this), because after a certain point you simply have to accept Occam's Razor when it comes to interpreting history. Any history teacher will tell you that there's no such thing as pure "fact" in history, so we have to analyze our sources. And if our sources show a reason that they are trustworthy, it's poor scholarship to simply throw them out simply because they don't fit our preconceived notions.

There's also the matter of horsemanship: *EVERY* text describing fighting from horseback depicts detailed instruction for the actions done with the sword when side by side with an opponent (i.e. not charging at full speed). And since we know knights used both longswords and pure single handers for combat on horse, do you think they said to an opponent, "Excuse me, but can we wait until tomorrow to fight? I forgot to pack my one handed sword today."

But if none of the actual historical evidence can be used, then I'll go with my personal experience. I've handled literally hundreds of antique weapons, some of which are in museums. Many of these were longswords, and many were very easy to use in one hand. A few were easier to use in one hand despite the long grip. (this is true with many messers, such as the ones usually depicted in fencing treatises... but you don't seem to have much faith in those. Wink ) Unfortunately, I can't really use this as proof on the internet, since you can't download my experience. The best I can do is provide a picture of one such sword that I'm holding, and simply tell you that this longsword (once owned by Ewart Oakeshott) was ridiculously light, and I could use it just as easily one handed than two handed. (In fact, I might even prefer it one handed, but that's subjective.) On the table in the picture were some longswords that were not easy to use in one hand. Is the one I'm holding not a "true" longsword, then? If that's the case, then we need to completely change our definitions.

Attachment: 135.82 KB
IMG_0628.JPG
15th Century longsword. You'll have to take my word for it: It was very easy to use in one hand.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A quick swerve back to the original post, Tried & True had reached commission capacity for April, and so took down the sword selection. If you check now, there menu is back up for May.

Check out the XVIa.3, I've been eyeing it myself.

Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, I get what you say. I don't think that fencing manuals are just ads and neither do I think that they consist mainly of flashy moves. After all I try to learn from them just as you do. Actually the very reason I always doubt in them a little is because they were written for people who were already familiar with the art. So these treatises often lack some "common sense" stuff. Like sword classification. We don't classify eating forks or spoons today, do we? Well, these are about as common for us as swords were 500 years ago. Not the best comparison, but you got the idea. Also some details in these manuals can imply some special meaning that we can only guess of. For example bare-handed knights in Gladiatoria probably mean that these techniques don't necessarily require gauntlets. We can interpret longswords in Kal's manual as "a longsword can be used in one hand just as well as a one-hander". But we might as well interpret them as "this technique works with a longsword as well". And this interpreatation can (but does not have to) imply that some moves don't. Which interpretation is correct? I don't know.

When speaking about simple moves, I meant mainly fencing (because, as I already wrote, I am not a very good wrestler). How much wrestling there is in an unarmored sword fight? How many master strokes? There certainly are some, but not that much. And out of all the moves we see described in manuals 80% of the time you probably use about 20%. Maybe a bit more, but still not that much. You can look at the videos of your fights, count and tell me if I am wrong, at least I won't be able to dismiss this fact. I don't think that more complex moves are useless. I only think that situations where these moves could be used and other, simpler moves could not are very rare.

Yes, I agree that it is very difficult to find solid evidence that something did happen. What I try to say is that people sometimes (for now let's not consider how exactly often) used longswords in one hand not because they were just as good in one hand as single-handed swords but because they were more versatile. Like in the modern warfare soldiers often carry .338 caliber rifles instead of .223 though the latter are definitely more convenient in certain situations such as close quarters combat. Longswords were generally usable in one hand, some more than others. Also armored combat and especially mounted armored combat is quite different from the unarmored one. There weapon speed is not that critical unlike unarmored fighting where even a small cut could end the fight. And if we go back to my first post, i wrote "using a longsword in one hand is reasonable only when the second hand cannot be used for some reason". Mounted fighting and even illustrations from Kal's manual that you linked in this thread depict fighters with their second hand busy.

I don't think I ever wrote a statement somewhere that is absolute and has words "all", "none", "never" or "always" but if I did I apologize. We know that there were swords and swords. One-handed messers did have longer hilts, but usually not very long (I have yet to see a one-handed messer with hilt over 20cm long) and thus even if we don't consider them to be purely one-handed weapons they fall into my first category. You will certainly find a sword with long hilt and short blade that handles very well in one hand. You will probably find a sword with long hilt and long blade that handles just as well. Just as you might find a sword with a relatively short hilt that is totally unusable in one hand. There were many variations and some worked better in one situation while others worked better in another. But there were definitely longswords designed mainly for two-handed use and longswords designed so that they could be used in one hand as well. I just looked at Kal's manual (since you describe it as very detailed) and this is what I found. When it depicts longswords used in one hand it shows a great variety of proportions, from oversized hilts and short blades on the picture that you linked to an almost one-handed hilt and long blade on this picture http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00...;seite=118 (sword in the hand of the right fighter). Was it done so on purpose? I don't think so. I tend to think that these images all depict one and the same general type of swords and Kal was simply not very good at depicting proportions (or just didn't care about them). "Bent" crossguards, uneven bucklers and other details also support this idea. And if we accept this idea, how can we make any conclusions about hilt size from these images? The only conclusion that we can make is that swords with two-handed hilts could be used in one hand instead of a one-handed sword, but I never argued against it. But when we get to the longsword section, we see a distinctly different type of sword. Again we see a great variation in blade and hilt size, but all these swords have schilts! I haven't looked through all the pages so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But from what I have seen so far Kal makes a clear distinction between longswords intended for purely one-handed use as well as two-handed use and longswords meant mainly for two-handed use. I make the same distinction and recommend using a distinctively "two-handed" or "true" longsword for longsword training and one-handed sword for one-handed sword training because it is easier to learn proper technique this way though of course a sword from my first category could be used to learn both one-handed and two-handed techniques.
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally got to compare the Earl and the Durer. I would say that both felt as if they could be used for one handed fencing, if not ideal for that purpose. I don't think either had a clear advantage in that regard.

I personally prefer the Earl, but that's probably because I own it.

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Vincent K

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
A quick swerve back to the original post, Tried & True had reached commission capacity for April, and so took down the sword selection. If you check now, there menu is back up for May.

Check out the XVIa.3, I've been eyeing it myself.

Thanks for the heads up and the rec Happy

Scott Hanson wrote:
Finally got to compare the Earl and the Durer. I would say that both felt as if they could be used for one handed fencing, if not ideal for that purpose. I don't think either had a clear advantage in that regard.

I personally prefer the Earl, but that's probably because I own it.

Thanks for going through the trouble to compare the two!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Earl. A&A Durer Bastard Sword, ATrim XVIII(?)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: