Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New custom items Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So what era are forumites attributing this custom XII to? I am not sure that I have seen this particular combination of hilt components on a type XII.
J.D. Crawford

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
So what era are forumites attributing this custom XII to? I am not sure that I have seen this particular combination of hilt components on a type XII.

It reminds me somewhat of a downsized St. Maurice of Turin, which some call an Xa and some call an XII. However that one has been dated anywhere from 1100 to 1300, so this comparison does not help much with your question!

At any rate its a very attractive sword. I especially like the grip and its underwrap pattern. Congratulations William!
Sam Barris

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The red one is now mine. Big Grin

I can't wait to meet her. I notice that the blade is a hair shorter than the stock Svante, but six ounces lighter. Part of that no doubt comes from trading out the Svante's massive pommel, but I suspect they took some mass from the blade as well. So, something like a Svante, but almost half a pound lighter? I expect this sword will feel amazing in the hand.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

It reminds me somewhat of a downsized St. Maurice of Turin, which some call an Xa and some call an XII. However that one has been dated anywhere from 1100 to 1300, so this comparison does not help much with your question!

At any rate its a very attractive sword. I especially like the grip and its underwrap pattern. Congratulations William!

Yes, if I were to jam it into a specific period, it would be 1200-1250, that is assuming that this design could be historical.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Type XII is possible. I think type Xa or even XI might be more likely but no reason you couldn't see it on a XII. Probably early for a XII given the furniture..maybe 1150-1200? I have seen more than one sword with a brazil nut and style 5 cross, so why not?
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pick up William. I had been considering it too. I think if it were a Xa blade or even the Ritter blade I would have tried to buy it too!

I hope to see more of these "mash ups" available from Albion! How about a Senlac blade and cross with a Templar pommel?
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Nice pick up William. I had been considering it too. I think if it were a Xa blade or even the Ritter blade I would have tried to buy it too!

I hope to see more of these "mash ups" available from Albion! How about a Senlac blade and cross with a Templar pommel?

Thanks Tim - I figured it was sold already and had e-mailed Mike at Albion about something else and asked if the swords listed on Facebook were sold. He responded they were available and I jumped on it. A one-off Albion with a brazil pommel was too much temptation. Agree it would have been even better with an Xa or XI blade.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:

Or a Lancaster with a Castellan pommel - a good Castillon variation.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

Thanks Tim - I figured it was sold already and had e-mailed Mike at Albion about something else and asked if the swords listed on Facebook were sold. He responded they were available and I jumped on it. A one-off Albion with a brazil pommel was too much temptation. Agree it would have been even better with an Xa or XI blade.

Bill,

Luck was with you, I have been too busy to look at the boards. If I'd seen that one first, it would have been sold! Razz

Albion's Type XII blades with alternate hilts is something I have comtemplated for a long time, and my affinity for Brazilnut pommels is firmly committed to my sword-addled mind. The Type XII blade with a complete Gaddjhalt or Reeve hilt would be a keeper.
Joel Houck

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sam, are you still in Yokosuka? I was stationed there in the early 80s. "Building 19" the Blue Ridge. Is she still there? I was the steward to Admirals Foley and then Trost. It was great duty.
I am making small swords now. You came up when I did a search for Small swords for sale but I thought I'd shoot you a quick note to ask you to direct me to the relevant pages.

Cheers and get up to Kamakura if you haven't already.

Joel

on facebook as Jacobs Armory
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Houck wrote:
Hi Sam, are you still in Yokosuka? I was stationed there in the early 80s. "Building 19" the Blue Ridge. Is she still there? I was the steward to Admirals Foley and then Trost. It was great duty.
I am making small swords now. You came up when I did a search for Small swords for sale but I thought I'd shoot you a quick note to ask you to direct me to the relevant pages.

Cheers and get up to Kamakura if you haven't already.

Joel

PM'd!

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New custom items
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: