Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > help decoding dagger mark Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Franco Moraglio

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: help decoding dagger mark         Reply with quote

Hello, I need help on trade mark dagger, is a former double edged blade, any data is important. Thank you!!!!

Attachment: 40.98 KB
comp.jpg
the maker mark?

Attachment: 26.1 KB
comp2.jpg
the double edge blade

Attachment: 36.34 KB
comp3.jpg
the recaso

Hello!!!i like the ancient swords,especcialy european sword
Franco Moraglio

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: help with marks on tang or any data on this european dagger!         Reply with quote

Hi again, I need help to identify this dagger, the swordsmith, that part of Europe can be, century, etc.., in the tang seems having letters type Gothic, can be G ~ L or G ~ S, the blade measures 40 cm approx., any information is appreciated!
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It might also be caucasian.
Franco Moraglio

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for your comment!, because you think that it can be Caucasian?, of that country? I am lost with this dagger, with the letters of the tang you think?, thank you!
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mainly from the shape, although this kind of double fuller it's not typical for a caucasian dagger. It was just a hint. I thought the letters could come also from some caucasian alphabet.
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me It looks like "G P" or "G T" to me in a font similar to revolutionary war era script. I don't think an "L" would have a ball termination going backwards. If you do a google search for "roanoke" font, you'll see the similarity. The top of the second letter being cut-off makes it a bit of a wild guess.
Sadly, using initials to mark the tang is a common way for smaller blade makers to mark their work, and dates back a good ways on hand made blades. And unless you have some comperable piece with the exact same mark, there's really no way of telling who the maker was or when it was made. Initials being perhaps the worst way to uniquely mark a piece (~675 possible combinations in the English alphabet for people using 2 initials. Odds of more than one maker using the same 2 initials is quite likely possibility). And a tang being unnotable unless dehilting the weapon, the worst of places to easily reference.

There were no hilt components with it? Photos of the hilt could help identify the style or type of sword it was. Or possibly dating the era. I've seen a similar blade on an Argentine gaucho dagger/sword. Double fullered from ricasso to almost the tip, but less taper along it's length. That example was most likely a cut down sword from an earlier generation. It also had no visible makers mark on the blade.

In summary, I don't know that any route will gather much info on the specific maker. But it's an interesting piece and it's good to see unique pieces come up.
Franco Moraglio

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ozsváth and terry, thanks for your comments!, help me to be able to reach a conclusion sobe dagger. Unfortunately I have no photos of the grip, no idea of as it could be in the past, why don't have much accurate data rather than in the form of characteristic of the blade. With regard to the letters, either GP or GT and it is impossible almost find the swordsmith.si think something else is correct, be welcome!, greetings!
others photos!!!

Attachment: 174.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 157.51 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > help decoding dagger mark
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic