Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Maximilian arrivesProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, (or anyone who's handled both)

How would you say it compares to the Dane? That has always been on top of my "when I win the lotto" list .

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matthew--

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd say that after handling both side by side, the two fell about what you'd expect:
The Dane is long and rigid, with some 'cutting' feel, but much more of a 'thrusting' feel, either from the ricasso or in halfswording, or just tightly gripped.
The Maximillian feels like it could cut both with closer in draw-style cuts, or with a more sweeping blow, with relatively limited thrust potential (though still some, against soft targets). It also feels more natural for a larger sword, at least to me. The Dane feels like a long sword, but also like a big spike. The Maximillian feels like I could stab or cut or hack or slice at something, and the sword would perform just fine, provided I didn't do anything stupid with it. The Maximillian grip is also flatter, making edge alignment easier than the Dane, generally speaking, but both grips are great.

The Dane feels like it's weight to me, well balanced but all there. The Maximillian I initially guessed at roughly a pound lighter than it is--it even feels that way to me statically.

The real folks can chime in now, I've said my piece.

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a pretty good comparison.

The Dane is a little more thrusting-oriented, but it can still cut well. Compared to the Maximilian, it's about a half-pound lighter even though it is several inches longer, so it feels a little more agile. But they're in the same overall size class, and are both pretty strictly two-handed swords.

I tend to like my swords a little lighter and a little more "thrusty" in general, so for me the Dane is the one I wanted. But having handled the Maximilian briefly, I certainly like it. It's like the Baron on steroids.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I've handled Ed's Dane, and I also feel it's a little more "lively". The balance makes it less oriented for the powerful types of cuts that the Maximillian can do (but that doesn't mean it doesn't do serious cuts), but the thicker and more acute point clearly makes it a superior thruster.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How would you guys guess the last third of the blade would flex if it was blocked while the user is performing a prellhau (flat strike)? For clarity: how much would the tip deflect past the block towards the opponent?
Krieg School of Historical Swordsmanship
A HEMA Alliance Affliate
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Floyd II wrote:
How would you guys guess the last third of the blade would flex if it was blocked while the user is performing a prellhau (flat strike)? For clarity: how much would the tip deflect past the block towards the opponent?

Benjamin,
Are you at Longpoint right now? (There are a bunch of Benjamin's, and I can't ever remember who is who because I'm a dunce) I can bring the Maximillian on Sunday, if you want, so you can see for yourself. I'm local enough to the event.

But the short answer is: Not a lot. It's flexible, but it isn't -that- flexible.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, I wasn't there. The twins, Glenn and Gary, are from my school. So you know who I'm talking about, Glenn won the dussack. I couldn't go because I'm going to the WWOC in Germany.
Krieg School of Historical Swordsmanship
A HEMA Alliance Affliate
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Floyd II wrote:
No, I wasn't there.

Ah, that's good, then. Now I don't feel bad that I completely forgot to bring it. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got my Max today--

the furniture is tumbled, and is a slightly darker, smoky metal. It looks quite nice in person, but I am utterly unable to convey that in these cruddy pictures.

Attachment: 241.64 KB
Gaddhjalt hilt for comparison [ Download ]

Attachment: 227.95 KB
Gaddhjalt hilt for comparison [ Download ]

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Maximilian arrivesProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: