Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword and Buckler sets? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Sword and Buckler sets?         Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have a request... Recently I have become quite obsessed with Sword and Buckler.

I find I have a bit of a natural ability for it, and I find it extra interesting as it is the first armed WMA I've ever really practiced. I've been using GDFB 12 inchers and a Tinker blunted single hander for it, and these seem to be pretty much perfect training weapons for it. I especially love being able to punch with the buckler... Awesome.

I feel that it is going to be a very long-term thing for me, and I intend to use this weapon set in my eventual go at the Battle of the Nations. And so I would like to get a beautiful custom sharp set... as you do when you find something you like, right?

So my request is... Is there any existing matching sets of Sword and Buckler? I mean, is there any photos of Swords designed to match the Buckler or vice versa? I've googled for some time looking for a matching set, and although I've found a lot of pictures of very attractive and effective looking bucklers, and the same for suitable swords, I have been unable to find any of matching sets. It seems to me that there would have definitely been matching sets made, as it seems a fairly obvious idea, but I just don't know where to look.

Is there any photos or links any of you guys could offer me to help me with this? This seemed like the best placeI know of that I could ever ask this, so here goes...

Thanks in advance, you guys!

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I know of no historical matching set. Never saw one in museums or in illustrations.
If you think about it, the possibilities to match those two are rather restricted. Could be engraving, could be the same colour of grip and lining. Possibly some similar shape on the face of pommel and buckler....

As said, I know of no historical example. So just get the sword and buckler you like. There is a tendency towards certain buckler forms and sizes depending on area and time, but that is a rather loose one.

So just go ahead...

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Herbert, I've not seen any reference to matching sets, and it seems like your options for what would 'match' would be limited. Having said that, any of the custom buckler makers (Mark Vickers, Armoury Marek, Arms & Armour, etc) might possibly have some suggestions if you had some kind of idea in mind.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, a 'writhen'-handled buckler would be kinda cool ...

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
William P

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
Personally I know of no historical matching set. Never saw one in museums or in illustrations.
If you think about it, the possibilities to match those two are rather restricted. Could be engraving, could be the same colour of grip and lining. Possibly some similar shape on the face of pommel and buckler....

As said, I know of no historical example. So just get the sword and buckler you like. There is a tendency towards certain buckler forms and sizes depending on area and time, but that is a rather loose one.

So just go ahead...

Herbert

ii was thinking of a similar thing, i.e that in germany during one decade a particular form of sword is popular and a specific form of buckler is popular during the same time.

although there is also the wierd bucklers suggested by various masters, like the wavey, squarish buckler proposed by marozzo.
and the ovoid buckler with scalloped edged and ends which curl towards the opponent etc was showcased in the talhoffer,
i assume that the swords used with these bucklers arnt especially different to the swords of their time (since i know that different manuals were made in different periods,. and therefore when different forms of sword were in use.
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Talhoffer's Thott manuscript, he shows the pointy lozenge buckler in conjunction with a grossemesser. I frequently train with that pairing.
Ottawa Swordplay

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword and Buckler sets?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic