2 bloom steel seax from Michael's Smithy
I would like to share two seax that I made from bloom steel that I smelted. These are not from the same bloom that I've been working in the videos, but same process. The broke back seax has a wrought iron spine, and I forge welded some bloom steel to it for the edge. The second has four bars of twisted bloom steel at the spine, and the edge is bloom steel as well. These were my first time taking homemade steel to a finished blade and has been a wonderful experience and I learned a great deal. Now time to apply it all to a sword!

Attachment: 170.58 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 182.21 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 178.22 KB
4.jpg

Attachment: 229.79 KB
5.jpg

Attachment: 162.53 KB
6.jpg

Looking good Michael!!! Are you going to finish these and offer them for sale?
Hi Tim, I am going to finish these, but they aren't going to be up for sale. I'm going to be putting these to use and see how they hold up.

There will be more in the future, hopefully near, which will be up for sale.
outstanding! happy to see those
Michael Pikula wrote:
Hi Tim, I am going to finish these, but they aren't going to be up for sale. I'm going to be putting these to use and see how they hold up.

There will be more in the future, hopefully near, which will be up for sale.

To use? Are there vikings in Wisconsin to fight? ;) :p Make sure to post a few shots of these as you use them. I am interested in seeing how they hold up too!
i especially like the contrast between the wrought iron spine of the broken back seax, and the blade steel, both of which have completely different grain and colouration and makes it really attractive to look at.
Beautiful pattern to the steel... I'd love to have something like the top one.... a big, fat, mean, gorgeous dagger.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: