Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eragon – the Inheritance Cycle book series Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Eragon – the Inheritance Cycle book series         Reply with quote

G’day guys,

I know that some may view this series of books as more aimed at teens but I have to say that I just finished the series (4 Audio Books) and really enjoyed it, so much so that I’m still thinking about the character’s days later. There is even some detailed discussions about swords, 1 v’s 2 handed, pointed tips for armour, weight, balance etc. ( EDIT. Lol edit this was a throwaway comment, was the only thing in the book I could think of that somehow tied it to an Armoury site. Wink )

So if you’re looking for a fantasy book to lose yourself in for a while I highly recommend the Inheritance Cycle series.

As for Audio Books, being an Accountant I read all day and the last think I want to do at night is keep reading so I’ve started getting Audio Books. I have to say that my experience has been that the narrator can make or break the book and in this series Gerrard Doyle has done an excellent job, his use of voices is quite engaging.

http://www.audible.com/series/ref=ml_1_ ... B005NAKJLW

I also listened to the Game of Thrones series on audio books and as with Eragon I really enjoyed it and the narrator Roy Dotrice is probably the best narrator I have come across yet.

http://www.audible.com/series/ref=ml_1_ ... B006K1QER6

And for the record Unabridged is the only way to go Cool

Cheers

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses

Last edited by Paul B.G on Wed 21 Mar, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Isaac Danial Rainey

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: I liked the later books more than the first one. I just thou         Reply with quote

I liked the later books more than the first one. I just thought Eragon was just another take on Star Wars.
Nec Vi Nec Metu
Andrew M.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't view it so much as aimed at teens, as aimed Paolini. There is so much wrong with those books. . . WTF?! but going into that is way off the topic of this site, so I'll limit my self to one link. http://impishidea.com/tag/inheritance-cycle/ Start from the bottom.

On the subject of armor and swords, it's been awhile since I read them(years), but what I remember wasn't particularity impressive. At all.

I haven't read GRR Martin's stuff, but I've heard that is really good, if grim and depressing. Tolkien is good, if you haven't read that yet Big Grin
So I can't recommend Inheritance to anyone. Eragon, and Eldest have plots straight from Star Wars, with serial numbers still on. The later books break away from that plot. . .and have no plot.
"Your work is both good and original. However, the parts that are good are not original, and the parts that are original are not good."—Samuel Johnson.

Sorry if this is too off topic.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also a little off topic.I haven't read the Eragon series at all.My favorite was a darker series titled "Thieves' World" by Robert Asprin, Janet Morris,Andrew J.Offutt,etc...if you haven't read it,in my opinion good set of books.It also inspired some very good offshoots by some of the involved writers.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not much to add here. I saw the movie on TV, didn't read the books. I thought the scale armour had a cool look from a distance, but up close it doesn't look like it would offer much protection. http://www.costumersguide.com/cr_eragon.shtml
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the first movie and thought it a joke. As for the first book... Well, I guarantee you that boy had the Lord of the Rings, the Wheel of Time, Dragonriders of Pern, and the Belgariad on his shelves.

There is no doubt in my mind, and I could ramble on and on about his outright plagiarism. (Most damning is the way he just copied and pasted the Belgariad's system of magic over, like no-one would notice.) I'm sorry, but there wasn't an original thought in the first book. I'm still a little confused as to how come people didn't call him out for it, much less start throwing awards at him. I have heard that his later books were a lot better, and I hope that really is the case.

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Andrew M.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not really. Actually they're worse, because he tries to stop using Star Wars' plot, but has nothing to replace it with. I haven't heard of the Belgariad, I've heard(and seen) that the magic system was copied from the Earthsea books. Except without the logic.
Oh I forgot, I need to shill for the Temerarie books. They're awesome. Napoleonic wars with dragons. The first one is His Majesty's Dragon
William P

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i can agree with the star wars plot, i picked up the parallels VERY quickly.

but meh i kinda liked it when i read it. but i cant be THAT botherered to buy the 4th book since ive discovered other series like terry pratchett and the wheel of time while waiting for the 4th book, if i read it itll be just to figure out how it ENDS, i wanna read about who the last egg links up with, 50$ says its arya (but DONT TELL ME, i actually want to read the book to find out)

but even book 3 has a bit of star wars plot. i mean he teams up again with his cousin to rescue his cousins girl from the lair of evil people
which is in the midst of a place of decedance. umm, rescue of han solo anyone
then his master dies. and hes preparing for an epic battle and he figures out a major character is his father.

its still starwars people
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

I too listen to a good many audio books. You might want to try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson or the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. I also really like The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Those (along with Game of Thrones which is excellent) are some of my favorites.

Ah, and before I forget, if you liked the Game of Thrones series, don't forget to check out the 3 short stories that Mr. Martin wrote. The first one is called Hedge Knight. They are great little reads.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
Paul,

I too listen to a good many audio books. You might want to try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson or the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. I also really like The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Those (along with Game of Thrones which is excellent) are some of my favorites.

Ah, and before I forget, if you liked the Game of Thrones series, don't forget to check out the 3 short stories that Mr. Martin wrote. The first one is called Hedge Knight. They are great little reads.

Thanks Mate, I’ve actually got Wheel of time on my next list, I’ve heard a few now mention that they recommend this series.

I’m currently listening to the 1st book in the Hungry Games series, only 4 chapters in and am quite enjoying it. I also enjoyed the original I am Legend (very different to the movie) and The Road (a very dark and harrowing book) As for Game of Thrones, I’m really hoping that George turns things around a bit in the next book I assume he is now writing, I’m getting the feeling we are not heading for a happy ending.

Cheers
Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed them as sometimes I just want to have fun. Paolinni was fifteen when he wrote Eragon. Perhaps after he has matured and has more experience he might write somthing that even the harshest critic will enjoy.
Andrew M.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy I'm not a harsh critic. But if you want to get published, that work is going out there, and making excuses based on age just means that it shouldn't have been published. BTW, he was nineteen when he finished. He's twenty-eight now and hasn't got any better. Worried
This doesn't meant that the books can't be enjoyable, but there's better written stuff that's also enjoyable, so why bother? Mistborn is good, with a different style of magic. Try about anything written by Andre Norton, she wrote early sci-fi and moved into fantasy, a good start is Witch World, and the series following it. Temeraire yes I'm mentioning it again, for sci-fi, Timothy Zahn's stuff is amazing. I'm looking for the first book of the Dresden Files. I almost forgot the 1632 series. Small American town(3000) goes back to 17th century Germany. Cool
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bothered because my daughter read it and wanted me to. Glad I did. Apparently a few million people did as well. Btw I have read a couple other books.
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew M. wrote:
I'll limit my self to one link. http://impishidea.com/tag/inheritance-cycle/ Start from the bottom.

Glad to see there's another Impish Idea fan here. : )

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eragon – the Inheritance Cycle book series
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic