Welt der Wunder - Katana vs. Schwert - Teil 2
This video was posted over @ SBG and I thought I’d post it here for interest sake, I don’t speak German so I don’t know what they are saying but you get the idea. Aside from the comparison, I’m actually more impressed by the edge alignment while cutting the tomato :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hy_A9vjp_s&feature=related
I've seen this video before and really wish for subtitles :(
I know I wouldn't want to be one of those guys holding the sticks he chops into pieces, far too close to having my arm cut off for my taste :P
i think this video was posted up before and was part of a very long post that got out of hand.

well, i don't get the point of this too much. why would anyone in the right mind do that? i don't understand exactly what the edge on edge contact is meant to prove. 2 opposing people knew better than to use the edge of their blades against each other though it is understandable that while in a fight you do whatever possible to save your life. but i really doubt you take full swing at someone as they have their arms braced like a brick wall against your blade to cause such extensive damage.

all in all - the tomato still looks good enough to go on my sandwich cut with either blade. :lol:
From what I understood, the last test was done in response to a claim made from the documentary they clipped. It pretty much stated that Katanas could cut other swords to pieces while suffering little damage. So, they did the durability test to prove wether it could or couldn't.

Steffen's last statments were essentially that they were both excellent swords from long warrior traditions, and that any claims made that the katana was a super sword are only a myth, unbacked by historical evidence and artwork.

This just to help make a bit clearer the last bit of the video, for those who don't speak German.

Regards.
Nicholas A. Gaese wrote:
...Steffen's last statments were essentially that they were both excellent swords from long warrior traditions, and that any claims made that the katana was a super sword are only a myth, unbacked by historical evidence and artwork.

This just to help make a bit clearer the last bit of the video, for those who don't speak German.

Thank you for the paraphrased translation. I think the conclusion that both longswords and katanas are fine implements of death is a reasonable conclusion that most people here can agree with. :D

There are far to many variables and assumptions required to make any statements regarding alleged superiority. All I can say to that effect is that I would be far more effective with a longsword than a katana.
one thing i liked about this test was that the maker is capable of making both kinds of swords, japanese and european.
so it was on slightly more equal grounds
Discussed here 2 years ago. :) http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20213

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: