Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tried & True Armory commission wait times Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
William Carew

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Carew wrote:
Just checking in for a progress update.

My update: No communication received. No swords. Still waiting (over a year now).

*Bump*

Another three months gone. Still no swords and still no communication.

Anyone else have any updates? Any recent good news stories for old TTA customers who've been waiting?

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don’t often contribute to posts like this but I feel I currently have a situation that is right at home here.

I placed an order with a Czech smith a few months ago. Not very long compared to just about everyone in this thread but long enough. Well I was supposed to receive an email in mid-June about my commission. Its now July 1st and no there’s been no email. In all honesty I’m not the least bit mad. You see he never asked for a deposit. While it creates some budgeting issues, as money is very tight in my house these past few years and I can’t really tie up money for too long, it’s really not a major issue at all because money never exchanged hands.

That’s not to say deposits are wrong, the problem is when it goes bad it creates threads like this. I was almost a part of the machine sale, having a 1520 on order. I watched as weeks turned in to months, and months to years. The machine sale made me hesitant to put down a deposit on a XIV I liked on the T&TA site, again, the same situation. I think the only route for this maker is to have an in stock only model but I’m not sure at this point that would work either because once you burn your bridges with your customer base its almost impossible to rebuild them.

Winter is coming
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Using the past as predictor, I'd say the odds of getting a previously ordered sword are increasingly slim. Lots of promises, missed deadlines, more promises, new plans and deadlines, but few or no swords. Sad really.
William Carew

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another 3 months gone and nothing.

Original orders placed Feb 2012 and Mar 2012. Has anyone heard from Tom K or Atrim recently?

I'd love to be proven wrong but do believe my deposits ($500 worth) have been well and truly pilfered at this point.

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Been talking with Gus a bit about this recently. Gus is regaining some strength finally and is able to grind for longer periods these days . With the regained strength has come a renewed dedication to clearing up the backlog. Evolution Arms and even the pending Ronin Katana legend pieces are being diverted ... T&T backlog pieces are being worked on now . I am speaking out of turn here, butGus's commitment to clearing this up is real , as are his efforts. My sword , ordered in 10 or 11 is one of the ones now being worked on. Others are reaching resolution as well.
Marc Kaden Ridgeway
William Carew

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've received a PM update from Tom over on the SBG forum. As I promised, I'm making note of that here. Not much to report and still a waiting game, but the contact and update is very much appreciated.
Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
William Carew

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, both of my outstanding orders have now passed the two year waiting mark (Feb and Mar 2012).

Nothing to report. No communication, nothing. But I will keep checking in every few months, just so that new customers are forewarned and don't lose their money.

Anyone heard anything?

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kinder has posted at SBG this past month or so.

FWIW

GC
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have heard from multiple people that this guy "gus trim" takes your money and you never get a sword nor even hear from him again.

Where I come from that's called stealing, it's a criminal offense.
Jeroen T

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:
I have heard from multiple people that this guy "gus trim" takes your money and you never get a sword nor even hear from him again.

Where I come from that's called stealing, it's a criminal offense.

It's a little more complicated then that.
William Carew

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, several more months gone, coming up on the 3 year anniversary of my order and still no sign of my goods or a refund of my deposit.

Let this stand as a warning to all would be buyers. Best to buy either in-stock items that are ready to ship or withhold any substantial payment until your sword is ready for delivery.

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, that's sad to hear.

Tom did start a thread here earlier this year; I posted there asking if he could give an update on this thread about the status of your sword or refund ... but that seemed to be missed or ignored.

It astounds me that people with such questionable business practices can still expect to participate in online communities.

Still, I'm always heartened by Nathan's encouragement to bring these kinds of issues to our attention.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to bump this in the hope of hearing some good news about people receiving their commission. I'd really like to see Tom and Gus out of the hot seat, but I think the only way out is through.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed a thread on SBG a few months back showing that Tom was setting up his own workshop ... a shame that some of the funds that were spent on that project could not have gone back into the outstanding refunds that are owed.

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
I noticed a thread on SBG a few months back showing that Tom was setting up his own workshop ... a shame that some of the funds that were spent on that project could not have gone back into the outstanding refunds that are owed.

I am curious, Mark, if you were one that forwarded monies to Gus through Tried and True. I also have to wonder if you have conversed with Tom on any of the several he is active on.

I do remember being called out for being a naysayer in mentioning it would be a risk for anyone participating. The writing was already on the wall before cent one changed hand. That is not to say no swords were made, nor that Gus would rather owe people than cheat them out of any hope. That is all that is left, hope and in stock items wherever a Gus blade might show up. It would be interesting to know exactly how many outstanding claims are out there, then the crowd could cheer or razz as appropriate. Wink

Is Tom ultimately responsible? That's a good question I would leave to the legal authorities. A caution was posted, even if not by the principles.

Cheers

GC
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Glen,

No, I shared your concerns and did not buy, preferring to wait to see how Tom's venture - and Marc Ridgeway's - played out. My understanding was that both suggested they had business models, as well as supply arrangements with Gus, that meant that no-one would get burned, as we'd seen in the past.

My concern is that I'd like to see Bill's - and everyone else's - swords delivered, or money refunded, and some honour restored before people move onto to new ventures. Bill, I, and others, have asked Tom for an update here for a long time, and none has been forthcoming. However, in other venues, we see that Tom is putting capital into another project, even though Bill and others have asked for a refund.

And Gus's swords are now selling at KoA, while outstanding orders have not been filled.

I don't harbour ill-will towards any of the players, but am just a keen, and saddened, observer.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Is Tom ultimately responsible? That's a good question I would leave to the legal authorities. A caution was posted, even if not by the principles..

Yes. Tom is responsible. Customers contracted with Tom--not his vendors/suppliers.

It's a real shame that he hasn't refunded the money. Certainly, this is made worse when we can all see funds going elsewhere.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If so (was there an llc?), is it unreasonable for such a person be allowed possessions of their own? Would anyone now put new money down for a commission of Tom's own rendering? Allow him to make a living?

I am far from supporting those with issues but have tried to be civil with them. I am as sorry and supportive of those that have lost as well. What I try not to do is follow any around as a third person spectator but have been caught up in the issues a few times. Another case in point was having some maker call me out for my opinion of their issues, while claiming my associations with Gus at another board was then unfair in my opinion of them.

The list of problem companies and makers is a long one. My own shame and grief is owning pieces from these people. One by one they find new homes.

Tom is not hiding, so I have to assume some may not be trying that hard. Gus and Tink likewise. A few have dropped completely off the horizon and no doubt history will repeat itself with another name. I was hurt to be shouted down when Tom projected the venture. More hurtful was that it came from the general population pushing the business model. Things have been rough for Gus' fulfillment since 2004-2005ish.

Sorry if I seem mouthy about this but I was trying to keep the peace for too many years somewhere else during an earlier era of disappointment. It is too bad it just hasn't worked out.

Cheers

GC
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom was selling swords from his collection on SBG to be able to start building the workshop, it has nothing to do with Tried&True. I certainly wouldn't expect him to refund me from the money that has nothing to do with Tried&True but is his personal money.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Tom was selling swords from his collection on SBG to be able to start building the workshop, it has nothing to do with Tried&True. I certainly wouldn't expect him to refund me from the money that has nothing to do with Tried&True but is his personal money.

When I started my business, I invested my money into it. I re-invested more as we expanded. That is the nature of business. We were a corporation, which legally protected me and isolated me from the business and yet I was most certainly ethically accountable for said business.

Business owners who start a business, take customer money, and then hold it or fold the business only to start other ventures are not ethical. I certainly would not be comfortable with doing that.

The absurd nature of the business model (if you can even call it that) was at fault here. Somebody needs to take responsibility for that--and that can only be one person: the business owner.

I'd be very surprised if T&T was anything but a sole proprietorship. If that's the case, then the owner owes people money because the owner *is* T&T. Either way, it's time to pay people back and move on with life. It's not that complicated.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tried & True Armory commission wait times
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: