Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tried & True Armory commission wait times Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Ken Jay

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm not a fanboy, but I feel the need to defend these guys up to a certain point. Tom and Gus are not villains deliberately out to cheat people. They were using an unworkable business process and at this point are in an unsolvable situation. That doesn't help the customers that haven't received and probably never will receive the swords they ordered or get a refund. Trying legal avenues to get money back will not work, as there is probably no money to get back. I'm sad to hear that there are still people waiting for their "Pay Off the Machine Sale" swords. I thought that at least all those orders had been filled.

I think it's reasonable to assume Tom and Gus didn't intend for this outcome. However, both had opportunities to mitigate the outcome. Going off the grid, selling product when you already owe, and saying tomorrow or you'll just need to wait for your stuff makes it certain to say their business model is a failure. Without knowing the specifics of the business relationship between Tom and Gus it is tough to comment on who did what when and why. I've been a big customer of Gus for many many years and really like his stuff but I won' buy another Atrim based upon this sad tale.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm not a fanboy, but I feel the need to defend these guys up to a certain point. Tom and Gus are not villains deliberately out to cheat people. They were using an unworkable business process and at this point are in an unsolvable situation. That doesn't help the customers that haven't received and probably never will receive the swords they ordered or get a refund. Trying legal avenues to get money back will not work, as there is probably no money to get back. I'm sad to hear that there are still people waiting for their "Pay Off the Machine Sale" swords. I thought that at least all those orders had been filled.

I am still a long time fan of Gus' blades when they have been made but the past half a decade has shown a lot of supply issues. What is being passed on as excuses are simply the reality of the situations Gus has found himself in.

The machine sale was supposed to be specific models and it generally proceeded at what was often a snail's pace. Gus has always and will probably conitnue to batch sword types when he mills.

If there was a deal for bare blades during the time the sale was goig on, it was not part of that specific group of models. It is all laid out in those early SFI threads to read. Of that basic group, It has been said all had eventually been delivered, or deals cut with stock on hand (from CF or not).

What has been on the wind these past months have been swords getting ready to finish while complete swords appear. Whenever either are being worked on is between making a living doing other machine work. That is the reality as we should all know by now.

What is a bit surreal is that a projection of ready stock is supposed to be available coming in the next months, not years. Yet another partnership and supposedly stock to buy. We shall see. We shall also see whether past due swords reach their owners. If they do not before the new enterprise appears as viable, I could be as po'd as any waiting even though I have no dog in the race and no money out of pocket.

Can we truly absolve any maker in these situations? Some seem ready to do so and new fish swell those ranks only (in the past) to find thenselves on dry land gasping for relief.

I have an individual reasoningas to why I have not bought available ATrims past the first All Saints days. I have seen great swords since then but the times have somewhat tainted all of them. I could probably easily sell my pair and although it once seemed like a tough choice to part with them, they have more or less been on the block since the machine sale debacle.

Gus has long ago quit being confrontational or excusing in what and when a sword gets finished. Other middles have more or less quietly walked away from him as a steady source. An undying patron may still see some benefit in putting money up front and as I have understood it at Tried&True, it was 50%. At least it was not full payment and it seems to me that there may still be hope for a sword that was ordered or substitution. A batch of bare blades? All I can say is Good luck. Sorry you were trapped. Show up at his shop with libation, potent or not and simply chat with the guy. Seattle is supposed to be a great place to visit.

As one that tried to mediate some of the angst at SFI, I know it personally from both sides and never having plunked down cent one.

Some say the golden age of Gus is coming back but I have no reason to wait for what was gone by 2006. Will a platinum age rise from the ashes? Some can hope so. Keep on grinding though Gus, someone will buy them.

Cheers

GC
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, there wasn't a "deal" going on about bare blades around the time of the "machines" sale...I had ordered bare blades from Gus prior to the situation referred to in my earlier post, and had what I thought was a growing business relationship with him. The blades I paid for were intended as a business venture, to be hilted and re-sold, as opposed to pieces for my own collection, not that it makes any difference.

I offered to work with him on both the models of the blades I ordered, and the total number in the order, when it became apparent that he was having trouble fulfilling the order. That was the point when I stopped hearing from him, which situation has obtained to the present. Any communication and acknowledgement on his part that he owed me the blades, and intended to make good on it in some way, would have been enough to keep me from posting publicly about it. The fact that he will not communicate with me at all pretty much defines the situation, as it stands.

I did say that I believe this was not his intent at the outset, but given the facts, there is really no excuse. If I heard from him today, my tune might change, but as things stand now, I have no indication or hope that I will ever see the blades I paid for, or any monetary reparation, or even hear an apology. Defend him if you wish, and do business with him at your prerogative. I truly hope he does better for you than he did for me, but if he does, you should be aware that the machines used to make your blade were paid for in part by taking my money, without having delivered my product. Facts are facts.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Justin

Quote:
Defend him if you wish, and do business with him at your prerogative. I truly hope he does better for you than he did for me, but if he does, you should be aware that the machines used to make your blade were paid for in part by taking my money, without having delivered my product. Facts are facts.

I hope I was clear that I have never supported or defended Gus' action, simply pointing out facts as I know them. Also that I feel as hurt as those that did pay money and wait (or not). The machines were certainly a large part of Gus' expense and as none of us are Gus' accountant, it seems foolish to me to expect any money sent him was actually spent on paying down that cost directly. What other expenses are there in anyone's life? That is in no way defending him, simply posting facts as I know them.

If I am to play further a devil's advocate for your case, listing your own priorities and expectations of never receiving anything tends to put one at the bottom of any list of compensation. This isn't an attack on your own values and business and I am sure others building swords feel the same way about dealing with Gus for parts. Take ASA as another venture where the middles were hoping for the best and in the end received the least. Branded forever.

Truly though I would rather not speculate and the two swords I have will always be tainted by the legacy left behind. Selling a piece from another absent maker lifted a huge burden of my own concerns and as long as I own any ATrims, guilt by association will linger (depite both of them from the days of glory).

Cheers

GC
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't feel this is an issue isolated to Gus or those who have associated with him though. There are several makers who maintain a "decent" reputation and are just as guilty of this.

This is an issue that harms the entire industry. It makes people think twice about ordering another piece with something already outstanding or one at all. I have little incentive to order something by commission now from anyone new unless they have a very solid, proven track record, much less put anything significant down. I know it certainly has slowed down my own orders across the board. I went from 1-2 commissions a year to 1 in the last 2 years.

I for one have a commission with someone that is 2 years past the anticipated completion date and getting updates is like pulling teeth. Contrast this issue with my other current commission with John Lundemo who had one hell of a horrific year with a fire and a hurricane and STILL he manages to get things done and maintain communication lines. John gave me a personal call when things got delayed due to the fire. That's customer service and it means something. Will I order something from the first maker again? I don't know. Maybe not. However, will I order something again from Odinblades? Hell yes.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agree with you. I have had terrible experience with another customer maker and also good experience with John.

Bryan W. wrote:
I don't feel this is an issue isolated to Gus or those who have associated with him though. There are several makers who maintain a "decent" reputation and are just as guilty of this.

I for one have a commission with someone that is 2 years past the anticipated completion date and getting updates is like pulling teeth. Contrast this issue with my other current commission with John Lundemo who had one hell of a horrific year with a fire and a hurricane and STILL he manages to get things done and maintain communication lines. John gave me a personal call when things got delayed due to the fire. That's customer service and it means something. Will I order something from the first maker again? I don't know. Maybe not. However, will I order something again from Odinblades? Hell yes.

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I can say is that I have had a very good experience with Tried and True to finally have my machine sale sword materialize.

Not that I haven't been worried about that sword over the four (?) years that have gone by between ordering (and expecting quick delivery) and final delivery. Nevertheless, the sword itself is great, one of my favorites, and I would buy another. But then probably without any significant down payment...
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My goodness, the more things change the more they stay the same.

I reviewed some of the very first Atrims more years ago than I care to admit. From the very moment he decided to make a business out of his hobby he's had problems. It's been a very long time since I've spoken with Gus. In fact, it's been some time since I've spoken with anyone in the industry as a whole. This is primarily because I came to a point where all of the emotional drama, on both sides of the counter, was simply to exhausting to deal with. I still love the hobby and the subject. However, dealing with maker issues like this, as well as helping to run a forum with all of it's inherent drama became too much. It nearly destroyed a lifelong passion I had for the subject.

Angus Trim isn't a bad or dishonest guy. I truly think he's trying to do the best he can, but his best obviously isn't good enough. Over the years he's gone through one intermediary after another and none of them have resulted in a successful partnership. It isn't hard to determine the common denominator here. Unfortunately Gus isn't alone. Most arms and armor making concerns are small affairs. They're started by people with a love for the hobby, not Harvard MBAs. No one sits in macroeconomics class and dreams about making swords in an old cheese factory. Only self-described sword geeks do that. The result is usually a lousy business model, or none at all. I think my favorite has to be, "I just smoke a joint, stare out the window and wait for something to happen." Remember that one Nathan?

Customers also approach the issue from an emotional head space. Their favorite swordmaker is their "guy". They not only buy a product but also assume an emotional connection exists. This isn't exclusive to the hobby but is just a bit irrational in any sense. The typical result is the customer feels the need to defend business practices that would see the shop doors closed in most other industries, all because he's their "guy" in some intangible way. The end result is an ever repeating cycle of bad business and disappointed former customers, yet with just enough defenders to allow the maker to eek by. Thereby sucking in new customers who will in turn help to perpetuate the cycle. None of this will ever change until the customers become more mature and quite a bit tighter with they're spending power. Until that happens swordmakers without any business skill will continue to disappoint customers and you'll be back here in another decade having the same discussion.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The typical result is the customer feels the need to defend business practices that would see the shop doors closed in most other industries, all because he's their "guy" in some intangible way. The end result is an ever repeating cycle of bad business and disappointed former customers, yet with just enough defenders to allow the maker to eek by. Thereby sucking in new customers who will in turn help to perpetuate the cycle. None of this will ever change until the customers become more mature and quite a bit tighter with they're spending power. Until that happens swordmakers without any business skill will continue to disappoint customers and you'll be back here in another decade having the same discussion.

Amen to this. This is a huge part of the problem. If most people ordered a toaster from Target, they'd expect better reliability of service and would be quick to gripe if it broke or never showed up. And a toaster is much less expensive and probably more usable on a daily basis. In many cases, customers have stopped holding makers accountable. We've seen multiple posts in this thread about how people haven't brought issues to the public. Perhaps it's because we develop relationships with makers that we don't have with toaster manufacturers and don't want to upset them or drive them from the marketplace. But we play a role on the perpetuation of these kind of situations.

I'd love to go a decade between these discussions, Patrick. Happy As you know, these issues tend to come up much more often than that. And will until we change as customers, like you say.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On another forum, this week, Tom commented that Gus is now working on completing swords that he's owed for many years. Per-stroke, post-stroke, machine sale, T&T, and others. Tom discusses the various stages of completion for T&T blades but makes NO mention of possible delivery dates. My take/guess from the post is that Gus is working on some vague FIFO method of filling these long overdue orders. For what it's worth....
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Jay wrote:
On another forum, this week, Tom commented that Gus is now working on completing swords that he's owed for many years. Per-stroke, post-stroke, machine sale, T&T, and others. Tom discusses the various stages of completion for T&T blades but makes NO mention of possible delivery dates. My take/guess from the post is that Gus is working on some vague FIFO method of filling these long overdue orders. For what it's worth....

Well if, BIG IF, Gus can finally get all undelivered and pre-paid for swords delivered it would at least be the honourable thing to do and take that burden at least out of his trying to keep a viable business going.

I did finally get my machine sales sword a good while ago after getting Tinker to nag or guilt Gus into it.

I don't believe that Gus is a crook or meant to do this to his customers, but all " excuses aside" it is and was horrible as far as competent business practices.

Whatever business model, or new business partners selling Gus's swords, they really should just sell in stock when in stock and avoid all " " THE DRAMA " and bad feelings, bad reputation consequences.

Gus's swords are an appealing product and if offered for immediate sale I think they would sell quickly without all the negatives of taking orders, missing deadlines and being impossible to reach to get even an idea about the status of an order.

With some vendors like A&A no deposit or advanced payments where ever even asked for, so when a project took a bit more time than expected to be finished it didn't cause any serious issues.

I sort of wonder if buyers should just refuse to pay anything up front before the product is ready to be shipped and make that the new standard of the way swords are commissioned or bought.

I can see some exceptions for project so unique that they might be impossible for a maker to find someone else to eventually purchase an orphaned project, or some of the very top makers with a solid reputation of delivering without any serious issues ? But then again sending a few thousands of dollars up front when a maker might not be able to deliver years down the line due to unforeseen events like health issue, death of the maker etc .... are risks one should think over carefully before sending money.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I sort of wonder if buyers should just refuse to pay anything up front before the product is ready to be shipped and make that the new standard of the way swords are commissioned or bought.

Yes...just yes!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Yes...just yes!

The problem with that is, the customer could all but disappear when the product is ready and then the manufacturer of said item is left holding the bag. When I'm working with a customer who's commission is up, if I have the customer's sword in my shop then I don't require a deposit as the sword is collateral. But if it's a swordless scabbard I'm making I require a minimum 50% deposit as a show of good faith.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Yes...just yes!

The problem with that is, the customer could all but disappear when the product is ready and then the manufacturer of said item is left holding the bag.

Or maybe a system in which the purchase is made in payments, with each payment being made upon receiving "in progress" photos. This promotes makers finishing in a timely fashion, and allows the customer to see progress and feel he is getting what he pays for.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's face it, good business on the internet is built on reputation, with a solid business model. Communication is key, along with superior customer service. As a business, you want to avoid bad threads about your business, like this. Otherwise, you're doing something wrong.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've dealt with A&A, Albion, Tod, Petr Florenek, Del Tin, Patrick Barta, Jim Austin, and Michael Pikula and never had to pay any kind of deposit. If a manufacturer can't take any reasonable risk and is working "hand to mouth", maybe it isn't time for them to take on a business venture involving taking orders for non-existant items.

Now if gold or some very expensive precious material was involved in a project I can see the need to a deposit but not in the normal course of business.

Arms and armor as a business is no different than any other business and manufacturers should be held to the same standards of any other business model of a custom nature.

I will echo what others have said. It is the emotionality injected into business transactions which has enabled bad practice.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
maybe it isn't time for them to take on a business venture involving taking orders for non-existant items.

Now if gold or some very expensive precious material was involved in a project I can see the need to a deposit but not in the normal course of business.

I can't speak for other vendor's, but time is money, which is the most valuable commodity of all, and if you complete said commission and are left 'high and dry' then you have to try and sell your product, at a discounted price most likely, to try and recover lost time & material. Of course, a lot of custom orders are unique to the customer who ordered them, which makes it extremely difficult to resell.

There are thousands of businesses online that won't take an order without a deposit, or even full payment. They're doing just fine.

It isn't the deposit that is the problem, as it's money put forth to the product you intend to buy anyway. It's the non-delivery of said product that's the problem.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This discussion is going where previous threads have already gone. I have dealt with the issue of deposits from both a customer's perspective, and as a maker. I no longer accept custom orders, and would think very, very carefully before placing one with another maker, as a result of my experiences. It sounds well and good for a customer to say that it is a business just like any other, but it's not entirely accurate. It's a small, niche industry with a relatively tiny customer base who communicate a great deal on public venues, and vendors who do what they do because they have a love for it on some level or another. Bottom line profitability is quite frankly not enough to induce any sane individual to take it up for the purpose of making money alone, which puts the "just like any other business" theory right out the window. Unless customers are willing to pay higher prices to close the gap in perspectives, of course.

I'm not posting this to be argumentative, but to point out that perspective is a matter of where you view the issue from, and it isn't the same for a maker as it is for a customer. Anyone is welcome to disagree with anything I have said, but unless you have walked in the shoes of a maker in this industry, you should realize that your'e only seeing half of the equation.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
It isn't the deposit that is the problem, as it's money put forth to the product you intend to buy anyway. It's the non-delivery of said product that's the problem.

You are absolutely correct but as a consumer in this hobby my only real protection is payment when work is completed. I will not pay before its even started. I see both sides but I'm grateful that I have the option to go to vendors that do not require advance payment.

It limits options sometimes but I vote with my wallet.

Its ultimately a business choice that every vendor confronts and has to make. If the value of the customers lost to the policy is outweighed by the risk to capital (including labor) that working in good faith requires, then working in good faith is clearly the wrong policy for that business. However, as we can clearly see here, if anything goes wrong it can create some serious damage to brand and enterprise. That said I'll agree with you again and note that non-delivery and non-communication, even when no money changes hands, is always not good for brand and business. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Tue 07 May, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
These business practices are a broken record that just keeps on spinning in the sword collecting community. This is at least the fifth instance of a trusted maker in the community absconding with people's money that I can recall since I started collecting. Its always the same, after an interval of apparently great product execution, people in the community really trust the maker. More money (orders) start being accepted but items suddenly flow much slower or stop being delivered. Because they can't get answers paying customers eventually start posting questions on the forums. Fan-boys come out of the woodwork making every excuse in the world for the maker. Praising the product and promising that the wait will be worth it. The maker or his advocates make promises to try this or to do that. You just have to give them time and all will be right!

Then...eventually...they just go silent.

The fan-boys, realization upon them, go away and the community finally understands that there is a real problem at hand.

Its also the second or third time that I can recall one of these guys absconding with money and then trying to rise from their corruption as if nothing really happened. They have a new business name or a new front man. Still the same guy running the show on the back end. Not to worry though, they were just overwhelmed by life the last time or something to that effect gets discussed on the forum circuit. All that they didn't do before should be forgotten now because they have a different business model. They're different people now! Trust the new business model! Trust the new brand name! Trust the new front man! Trust them...

...and more often than not, we do!

Things usually go well for a time...at least for the first people in.

Sounds remarkably similar to a Ponzi scheme.

Just to be clear. I am not a front man , Evolution Arms is not a Ponzi schene. I am certainly not rolling in ill-gotten Atrim dough either. I am selling Atrims as they come , in-stock only , and less than a dozen swords a year.

Evolution Arms is not affiliated with Tried & True. We share a supplier ... our business model is different and there is no relation between their finances and EA's.

I did take two preorders early , and they have been filled. I have one arrangement with a serviceman to reserve an upcoming sword for him as a courtesy for his service , but preorders are not a part of the business model for Evolution Arms, and preorders will not be taken.

Evolution Arms has been a vehicle to help its supplier become solvent again, as well as other efforts on his part. In addition I have negotiated a deal with a large sword company which will be buying a 50 sword order from Gus , and turning Atrims into an in-stock brand forever more. No more preorders.

This deal , which I can't elaborate on (as it is unvetted here as of yet) , will facilitate the filling of backlog . Backlog pieces are being worked on now. Backlog pieces will be worked on in each new batch. I know of some orders that Gus has recently filled that predated the machine sale. This is not an official statement ... just anecdotal statements of things I know.

I sell in-stock , higher end Atrim pieces through Evolution Arms... and each shipment that I recieve I sell knowing that I have an outstanding Tried & True order from Dec. 2011. One has nothing to do with the other.. and I am waiting patiently on my T&T order.

I understand customers that are owed products are angry , and I am not trying to diminish this. Customers have a right to feel as they feel. Customers have a right to seek resolution. However , neither does myself ,nor Evolution Arms deserve to be painted with the same brush.

Thanks

Marc Kaden Ridgeway

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tried & True Armory commission wait times
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: