Late Migration sword
Hi Guys,

I should have posted this before now but i have been very busy. I did not have many pics of this sword but these should give you a good idea. Again, its another first attempt and i was very happy with the outcome. Bruce from Wulfheodenas made the scabbard for this one. The sword and the Press Blech is my work. The Press Blech is also my first attempt, its a design from the Staffs Hoard. It is a sharp sword with Yew grips and sandwich fillings in the crossguards. I should have had all the dimensions and weight but unfortunately it went from having the scabbard made to its new owner rather quickly. All i can say is that it was very light and flexible, and very sharp!
There are more pics of this sword on the Vendel madness post in the off topic talk forum.
The Press Blech plate pictured on its own is from another project nearing completion of a conjectural Staffs Hoard helm.
I am very happy with this one!! I shall post pics of it as soon as its done.

Thanks guys.

Paul.

Attachment: 215.67 KB
small-5-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 238.91 KB
small-1-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 244.41 KB
small-4-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 242.77 KB
small-3-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 248.23 KB
small-2-(ii).jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! The brass work and handle carving are really something.
Truly gorgeous work. If you were to put a date on that what would it be?
Really nice. I'd love to see some better pictures if you can. The grip is just outrageous!
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the comments.
Wilhelm, Bruce recons its got elements that appear in the 6th and 7th C. He also added, that to be more specific, probably a tuesday in late december :)

Paul
Paul that sword is simply stunning. I also have to agree with TIm...that grip is one of the nicest I've seen for a sword of this period. Simple, but very cleanly executed. I also have to second the request for more pictures if at all possible.
Paul Holwell wrote:
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the comments.
Wilhelm, Bruce recons its got elements that appear in the 6th and 7th C. He also added, that to be more specific, probably a tuesday in late december :)

Paul

Thank you. I was born on a Tuesday in late December. Once again, magnificent work. I am trying to piece together a kit. I am at a crossroads as to which fork to take.
late migration sword
Hi guys, firstly Wilhelm, Sorry for my injection of humour regarding the timeline. Basically its a generic sword of the type, so not necessarily tied down to a specific date. Although I still reckon its based on one from a Tuesday, December ,615 AD, we reckon midweek, as a weekend there would be too much mead and the results would be sloppy!! Obviously not the case here.
On a more serious note. I will contact the swords new owner, with regards getting some more pics on Paul's behalf.
I gave Paul the lump of Yew wood for this, its a particular favourite of mine and I feel Paul has more than done justice to this sword with the beauty of this wood enhancing the overall effect. Not bad for a 1st attempt at a sword of this type I feel!!!!!!!
Bruce
late migration sword
Here's another pic.

Attachment: 230.57 KB
Vendel-Style Sword 9 a.jpg

Re: late migration sword
Bruce Tordoff wrote:
Not bad for a 1st attempt at a sword of this type

Understatement of the week right there :lol:

The sword is stunning and perfectly captures the feel of the originals.

It looks a lot like this one, which happens to be one of my favorites from the period.

I saw this one at York last month. Nice work Paul, veeeeeery nice.
Maybe too nice, especially for Alex.

Well done; I can only wonder as to what you'll be making in a couple of years time, when you've REALLY got your eye in.
;)
Beautiful sword and great work. It is inspiring to see such good craftsmanship dedicated to a sword of this period and type. I would love to see this in reality.

Thanks for showing.
Nice!!! You continue to amaze....
That's a beautiful piece of work. The decoration on the scabbard is very striking and I love the overall aesthetic of the piece. I love swords of this period and your is a great example.
Late Migration Period sword
Happy Birthday Paul.

As you know I am usually the master of understated compliment, but as I know you knocked this one out while working on the helm under commission from an exacting customer and friend (that'll be me ;) ) again you turned out a beauty of yet another first for your self. Well done and I anticipate you will see more commissions coming your way from other customers.......but first we have the Staffs Hoard pommel and hilt furniture to compliment the Binnsy PW blade thats laying around here waiting for your talents.

I'm sure that having seen the helm in progress that folk her will be equally appreciative of your work ethic and skills once it is completed and showcased.

best Dave
ps don't eat to much jelly
Hi All.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, and thanks for the HBday Dave. Cant wait to get your Helm completed, it is going so well!! My best yet i think :)
Thanks for asking about the pics Bruce, nice one.

Cheers.

Paul
Really good looking work! I'm also looking forward to more pictures. If not of this sword, then maybe of the next? :D
agreed, as a favorite of the period.. forget the albion thegn THIS is what i think of when i think of the saxons...
Simply beautiful work, very drool-worthy :D I have a question though. I know lots/most of the swords of the period have those large rivets securing the upper and lower guard sections together. How do those rivets effect the handling of the weapon ? I'd have thought, at times, they would be most uncomfortable when gripping the hilt ?
migration sword
Ralph,
If I may attempt to answer your question, my sword, being similar to Pauls in construction, has the same sized dummy rivet heads on the crossguards. They don't really affect the handling of the sword as much as one might assume. I think as they are essentially polished hemispheres they don't interfere with the hand in any detrimental way. You feel that they are there but not so much as they would cause any discomfort., Given that also the length of the grip on my sword and this one of Pauls are exactly the same as the width of my fist, (I don't like to have a sloppy hold on the grip), It feels lovely in the hand.

I'm happy for Paul, as a personal friend of mine, that he is garnering praise and respect, from people whose expertise and opinions I value greatly, so big thanks, we all end up being winners!

Cheers,

Bruce

Ps any UK based forumites, wanting to see this sword and any other bits of our kit can find us at Bishops Wood, (Anglo Saxon longhall) this weekend in kit on the Sunday. It somewhere in the midlands I think. I should know this I'm driving there!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: