Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite non-sword weapon? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Well, yes in the modern World. Big Grin Cool Might still want a big knife or short " tactical " sword if i ran out of bullets, needed to take someone out silently or surprised " literally " at dagger distance.

Within 10 feet a blade is almost better.

Well, mostly fantasy for me in the horribly dangerous to mention, as it usually can ruin a good Topic, ZOMBIE scenarios. Razz Razz Razz Wink Cool

Zombies= English Bill or long two hander sword + .45 Auto and cases and cases of ammunition.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Well, yes in the modern World. Big Grin Cool Might still want a big knife or short " tactical " sword if i ran out of bullets, needed to take someone out silently or surprised " literally " at dagger distance.

Well, you must admit the question wasn't very specific. Wink

In the modern world a sword is hardly "tactical", but rather "desperate".

Quote:
Within 10 feet a blade is almost better.

Having some experience with that I'd strongly disagree.

But in the spirit of the topic, how's this?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

But in the spirit of the topic, how's this?

Well context might make a big difference like surprise, is the firearm in hand already aimed in the right direction etc .....

If completely surprised by the knife wielder at 10 feet there is just not enough reaction time to draw and aim and shoot ( In my opinion .... the 21 feet rule applying and I made it worse at 10 feet. Wink ).

I've viewed a training video called, if I remember correctly " Surviving Edged weapons " a long time ago. Wink
http://www.policeone.com/edged-weapons/articl...id-Part-1/

Note this could be a Topic all by itself but maybe not ideal for this site ? What I think would be in context for this site is the same situation in period with loaded crossbow or bow, or ambush situations in the unsafe streets in some locals at different periods i.e. footpads in 18th century London at night for example. ( Dagger and wrestling techniques, tactics and strategies, surviving assassination attempts ).

No guarantee of an instant stop, so very dangerous for both sides.

As to tactical swords in the modern World, yes it's just a fantasy or a personal preference mostly good in imagination or a graphic novel. But a good knife is always a good plan c or d if not b.

Anyway, just having fun with the idea(s) don't think I assume that I know better than someone with real life LEO experience. Cool

Oh, nice axe by the way. Big Grin Cool

Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
Museum Replicas used to make a similar mace quite a few years ago.I have not seen another replica since...

http://www.hankreinhardt.com/Sale/Axes/Maces%20330.htm

Phil D.

Holy crap, you just made my day. I'd never seen this before. Many thanks.

[quote="Patrick Kelly"]
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Well, you must admit the question wasn't very specific. Wink

I thought about specifying that no modern weapons were allowed, but then I decided against it. I thought that it would just go without saying. Laughing Out Loud

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
William P

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

also id like to include this http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...mp;c_id=14

not the sarissa as a whole, its great in formation but not something youd want alone, but look at that butt spike...
it is a mean-ass, 4 flanged, long spiked MACE in its own right, i mean, hell, if the macedonian phalanxes presented a wall of THOSE, the persians i think would have just simply soiled themselves where they stood.

place a short, 10-20cm haft on that, and sharpen the flanges, and you have a absolute wrecking ball of a weapon.

that will likely bust up a man like anything.
add to it, that spearhead in your other hand, sharpened like a razor, and giving it a very short, 5 inch haft to grip.. thats one nasty knife to have as a backup.

i just cant help but look at the buttspike of the sarissa and think of how nasty a mace that would have made.

Attachment: 46.47 KB
398main.jpg
macedonian sarissa head and butt spike from manning imperial
Dimensions - Length of butt spike 340mm, weight 525 grams. Length of head 388mm, weight 470 grams.

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Well context might make a big difference like surprise, is the firearm in hand already aimed in the right direction etc .....

Indeed. You can "What if?" that situation all day long on both sides of the equation, but I simply prefer to live by the old adage of never bringing a knife to a gun fight. Big Grin

Anyway, I especially like your winged spear by Michael Pikula. Extremely sexy.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. You can "What if?" that situation all day long on both sides of the equation, but I simply prefer to live by the old adage of never bringing a knife to a gun fight. Big Grin

Anyway, I especially like your winged spear by Michael Pikula. Extremely sexy.

Of course I would highly prioritize the firearm(s) in the real World: " Bring a gun & a Knife to that gun fight " Wink But jokes aside I think we are in agreement. Big Grin Cool

Yes that Pikula Winged Spear is a spear fit for a Prince, Duke or King, or at least a rich Knight, the English Bill or my BKS Bardiche are the one's I wouldn't worry about " scratching " and more like high end issue weapons. Wink Laughing Out Loud

The Partisan would obviously be a very usable and effective weapon but one carried almost as much to show wealth and status as to fight with. ( When you are sure to get dirty use the fully functional but less expensive weapon ).

The Bardiche is sort of like a Danish Axe on steroids and hafted at about the same lenght as your really nice axe.

Nick B.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bow, reach out and touch someone. Big Grin
Grozer Hungarian Horse Bow. Now all I need is the horse.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Favorite weapon after a sword. That would have to be a Cannon! Happy
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
William P

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Favorite weapon after a sword. That would have to be a Cannon! Happy

and when in a pinch, you can bash the guy on the head with the rammer/ sponge pole thingy, theres an example of a 18th century one in the local sword shop in the city, (you can pick it up but i dont think its an antique) and t is HEAVY, and would make a nasty quarterstaff/ lomnng mace in a pinch

or if you wanted to scale down your firepower, theres always henry VIII's walking staff.
Lewis Ballard

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite non-sword weapon is probably the stick.

Stick, club, bat, billy club, shillelagh. Two to three feet (for walking stick uses by this meat puppet, about 39-40") of hickory, ash, yew, oak, heck, bamboo. Thirty or forty or fifty thousand years of use. Maybe we should just say "so long the mind of man remembereth not." Found object or carefully, lovingly shaped. Depending on your stick, you can adapt axe or sword techniques. I'm distinguishing the short stick from the long stick (quarter staff), but if I was allowed to cheat I'd expand it to include the long stick.

The fons et origo of fighting weapons.

Improved on, but never quite obsoleted. I'll make no arguments that it's the best thing ever, or the best thing for any situation, but I will say this: compared with having nothing, I'd always rather have a stick. My preference is for a neutral balance, 1/2" to 3/4" diameter, you can choke up on it, choke down on it.

I've never studied la canne or shillelagh technique, but that's never dampened my fascination for the stick.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: fave weapon...         Reply with quote

One word....Lochaber. Long for reach, sharp for slashing, pointed for stabbing, and hooked for ...well...hooking. That doesnt sound right, does it....
Will White

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recurve bow I don't really mind about the specific types. Or. Broken-Back Seax. These are my favorite weapons anyway so this was an easy question Happy
The scariest moment is always just before you start.
Stephen King
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: it depends...         Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick that the question is very broad in scope, but if we bring it down to hand held weapons without projectiles, thus eliminating firearms and bows, it would still depend on other variables. In a setting where armoured opponents was the norm, I would certainly agree with those who proposed the poleaxe, but should we be in a context without plate armour, a spear would suit me fine.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me it would have to be a war hammer. The hammer head makes for easy crushing of targets and is less likely to stick than an axe would be, and if that fails to do the job, the spike is a devastating little piece of equipment. I especially like the spike vs. armor, metal etc. You can feel how lethal it is.

As for style, I like the Windlass English war hammer the best out of all the ones I've seen, and I do own one. Very nice and light, and it gets the job done.
William P

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: it depends...         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
I agree with Patrick that the question is very broad in scope, but if we bring it down to hand held weapons without projectiles, thus eliminating firearms and bows, it would still depend on other variables. In a setting where armoured opponents was the norm, I would certainly agree with those who proposed the poleaxe, but should we be in a context without plate armour, a spear would suit me fine.

thas wha i love about the bec de corbain pollax, it will kick your ass whether you have plate or not

i mean A&A's poleaxe topspike managed to easily puncure quite strong, replica maille.
and ill cave in your skull etc no trouble at all.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jul, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm probably going to have to go with the 1873 Single Action Army. If we're speaking strictly of melee weapons, then the prize would have to go to the bec de corbin.

Truly, if you want a weapon who's effectiveness and serviceability has been proven time and again, take a look at any breed of scattergun.

Attachment: 119.48 KB
photo.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite non-sword weapon?
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: