Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Late Migration sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Holwell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Late Migration sword         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I should have posted this before now but i have been very busy. I did not have many pics of this sword but these should give you a good idea. Again, its another first attempt and i was very happy with the outcome. Bruce from Wulfheodenas made the scabbard for this one. The sword and the Press Blech is my work. The Press Blech is also my first attempt, its a design from the Staffs Hoard. It is a sharp sword with Yew grips and sandwich fillings in the crossguards. I should have had all the dimensions and weight but unfortunately it went from having the scabbard made to its new owner rather quickly. All i can say is that it was very light and flexible, and very sharp!
There are more pics of this sword on the Vendel madness post in the off topic talk forum.
The Press Blech plate pictured on its own is from another project nearing completion of a conjectural Staffs Hoard helm.
I am very happy with this one!! I shall post pics of it as soon as its done.

Thanks guys.

Paul.

Attachment: 215.67 KB
small-5-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 238.91 KB
small-1-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 244.41 KB
small-4-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 242.77 KB
small-3-(ii).jpg

Attachment: 248.23 KB
small-2-(ii).jpg

David Clark

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous! The brass work and handle carving are really something.
Wilhelm S.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Truly gorgeous work. If you were to put a date on that what would it be?
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice. I'd love to see some better pictures if you can. The grip is just outrageous!
Paul Holwell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the comments.
Wilhelm, Bruce recons its got elements that appear in the 6th and 7th C. He also added, that to be more specific, probably a tuesday in late december Happy

Paul
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul that sword is simply stunning. I also have to agree with TIm...that grip is one of the nicest I've seen for a sword of this period. Simple, but very cleanly executed. I also have to second the request for more pictures if at all possible.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Wilhelm S.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Holwell wrote:
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the comments.
Wilhelm, Bruce recons its got elements that appear in the 6th and 7th C. He also added, that to be more specific, probably a tuesday in late december Happy

Paul

Thank you. I was born on a Tuesday in late December. Once again, magnificent work. I am trying to piece together a kit. I am at a crossroads as to which fork to take.
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: late migration sword         Reply with quote

Hi guys, firstly Wilhelm, Sorry for my injection of humour regarding the timeline. Basically its a generic sword of the type, so not necessarily tied down to a specific date. Although I still reckon its based on one from a Tuesday, December ,615 AD, we reckon midweek, as a weekend there would be too much mead and the results would be sloppy!! Obviously not the case here.
On a more serious note. I will contact the swords new owner, with regards getting some more pics on Paul's behalf.
I gave Paul the lump of Yew wood for this, its a particular favourite of mine and I feel Paul has more than done justice to this sword with the beauty of this wood enhancing the overall effect. Not bad for a 1st attempt at a sword of this type I feel!!!!!!!
Bruce
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: late migration sword         Reply with quote

Here's another pic.

Attachment: 230.57 KB
Vendel-Style Sword 9 a.jpg

Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: late migration sword         Reply with quote

Bruce Tordoff wrote:
Not bad for a 1st attempt at a sword of this type

Understatement of the week right there Laughing Out Loud

The sword is stunning and perfectly captures the feel of the originals.

It looks a lot like this one, which happens to be one of my favorites from the period.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw this one at York last month. Nice work Paul, veeeeeery nice.
Maybe too nice, especially for Alex.

Well done; I can only wonder as to what you'll be making in a couple of years time, when you've REALLY got your eye in.
Wink

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword and great work. It is inspiring to see such good craftsmanship dedicated to a sword of this period and type. I would love to see this in reality.

Thanks for showing.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice!!! You continue to amaze....
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a beautiful piece of work. The decoration on the scabbard is very striking and I love the overall aesthetic of the piece. I love swords of this period and your is a great example.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Late Migration Period sword         Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Paul.

As you know I am usually the master of understated compliment, but as I know you knocked this one out while working on the helm under commission from an exacting customer and friend (that'll be me Wink ) again you turned out a beauty of yet another first for your self. Well done and I anticipate you will see more commissions coming your way from other customers.......but first we have the Staffs Hoard pommel and hilt furniture to compliment the Binnsy PW blade thats laying around here waiting for your talents.

I'm sure that having seen the helm in progress that folk her will be equally appreciative of your work ethic and skills once it is completed and showcased.

best Dave
ps don't eat to much jelly

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Paul Holwell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, and thanks for the HBday Dave. Cant wait to get your Helm completed, it is going so well!! My best yet i think Happy
Thanks for asking about the pics Bruce, nice one.

Cheers.

Paul
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really good looking work! I'm also looking forward to more pictures. If not of this sword, then maybe of the next? Big Grin
William P

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

agreed, as a favorite of the period.. forget the albion thegn THIS is what i think of when i think of the saxons...
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simply beautiful work, very drool-worthy Big Grin I have a question though. I know lots/most of the swords of the period have those large rivets securing the upper and lower guard sections together. How do those rivets effect the handling of the weapon ? I'd have thought, at times, they would be most uncomfortable when gripping the hilt ?
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: migration sword         Reply with quote

Ralph,
If I may attempt to answer your question, my sword, being similar to Pauls in construction, has the same sized dummy rivet heads on the crossguards. They don't really affect the handling of the sword as much as one might assume. I think as they are essentially polished hemispheres they don't interfere with the hand in any detrimental way. You feel that they are there but not so much as they would cause any discomfort., Given that also the length of the grip on my sword and this one of Pauls are exactly the same as the width of my fist, (I don't like to have a sloppy hold on the grip), It feels lovely in the hand.

I'm happy for Paul, as a personal friend of mine, that he is garnering praise and respect, from people whose expertise and opinions I value greatly, so big thanks, we all end up being winners!

Cheers,

Bruce

Ps any UK based forumites, wanting to see this sword and any other bits of our kit can find us at Bishops Wood, (Anglo Saxon longhall) this weekend in kit on the Sunday. It somewhere in the midlands I think. I should know this I'm driving there!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Late Migration sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic