Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > pivotal engineering leaps in history Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Bellows         Reply with quote

A complex multi chambered bellows with drive system.
Peter Messent

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The antikythera device springs to mind: however, given that it's the only surviving example of its kind that I am aware of, with no clear predecessors or successors that I am aware of, perhaps, despite its ingenuity, it is a very poor example of an engineering leap Confused it is certainly very interesting, though.

I would also consider the advent of hydraulics and the "diesel effect" - primitive tribes throughout the world now and through history have used fire pistons made of natural materials to create an ember. Sawmills also spring to mind. The CV (Constant Velocity) joint and the Differential were enormously useful mechanical inventions though the CV joint is well out of your time frame. Wheel camber also helped to develop wheeled vehicles that wouldn't roll on a corner, but I have no idea what time frame you're looking at for that.
Neil Langley

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of my favourite bits of machinery is Watt's (centrifugal) governor - it demonstrates lots of problem solving, centrifugal force and feedback all in one balletic bit of engineering.

Neil.

Edit to add: Although Watt's device is slightly after 1750 the principle was in use before this - but I think the way it revolutionised the steam engine makes it worth of being singled out.

NWL.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all.

In the 1980's the Soviets reputedly invented Tetris and disseminated it as a way of reducing the productivity of Western workers. Has my question done the same to A & A?

Craig Johnson wrote
Quote:
Boy Tod when you start to mash this down it does get a bit difficult doesn't it. A Machine that the shop can produce and entertain? Maybe one of the complex bell ringing systems would work.

In a way it comes down to what is a machine? Not easy when you put the show structure to it. A lever is a machine but five guys working on a stick for an hour to move a rock may not hold the audience

It is a tricky one. It needs to be a single machine rather than a part of. It needs to be big enough that 5 guys won't obsucure it when they are workning on it at the same time. Complicated enough that there are a number of aspects that are individually able to be talked about with little demonstrations etc. Simple enough and small enough that 5 guys with some support can make it in 2 days. Low grade enough technology that most of it can be built with semi processed materials, i.e. timber is approximately the correct section but not cut to length and jointed - not a kit. The test needs to grip an audience.

We are trying to find a way to use a water wheel, but simply can't think of a test. I like the trip hammer and it has everything we need and ticks every box, except the test. How can we make a hammer exciting? A ballista yes, a hammer no.

An early tower clock could be made to tick every box except the test. I love it but how can you make a cog slowly turning exciting? Craig bell ringing does take this on a bit and a few trips etc thrown in will help, but it still doesn't shoot, cut, catch fire, smash things etc. Very shallow I know, but that is the reality of entertainment.

A small trebuchet as an example also ticks all boxes including the test, but the show is (unfortunately) not all about weapons.

A breech loading cannon - no but a cannon borer may be? Water wheel or man wheel to power, gears, shafts, things that turn, a mechanical process and then a thing tha goes bang - Hmmmmmmm. I am adding this para as an edit so I can't see who suggested it, but thanks for the trigger.

So thank you all for your continued thoughts and keep 'em coming.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Archimedean Screw. Attributed to Archimedes in Hellenistic times after a trip to Egypt where he saw one working and then introduced it to the West. It could made water travel upwards and was used to irrigate fields from lower bodies of water.
"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about wire drawing technology for making maille ?

Cutting coils, flattening ends, riveting etc ......

Probably mostly handwork but I wonder if in period some degree of automation, water wheel powered ?

Or early lathe set-up using gearing to couple up to drive belts to run various machines from trip hammers, power bellows for forced air forges or smelting of steel ? ( Sort of a run on sentence here mixing up various concept ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > pivotal engineering leaps in history
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: