Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New High-quality German Poleaxe DVD Available! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christian Henry Tobler

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: New High-quality German Poleaxe DVD Available!         Reply with quote

We Are in the DVD Business!...

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then 58 minutes of moving pictures are easily worth 30,000 of them. This is especially true when your subject is a physical discipline, such as martial arts instruction. It was precisely with this idea in mind that we partnered with Speaking Window Productions to develop a line of Martial Arts training videos, the first of which is "German Medieval Martial Arts, Volume One: The Poleaxe".

The poleaxe was one of the premiere weapons of the medieval knight, combining aspects of a spear, hammer and sword into one deadly form. Well-balanced and surprisingly agile, it was optimized to combat a fully armoured man with swift thrusts and heavy blows, making it a preferred weapon in the judicial duel, and in knightly feats of arms fought with sharp weapons.

Noted German swordsmanship researcher Christian Tobler has designed German Medieval Martial Arts, Volume One: The Poleaxe as a complete overview and training curriculum for individuals and study groups alike. Beginning with a discussion of the origin and evolution this fearsome weapon, Christian interviews renowned medieval weapons experts Dr. Lee Jones and Dr. Jeffrey Forgeng of the Higgins Armoury Museum, home to several particularly beautiful and well-preserved specimens. Turning to practical instruction, he then presents a detailed analysis of the principle guards, blows, disarms and throws taken from the writing of medieval masters-at-arms such as Paulus Kal, Hans Talhoffer, Peter Falkner and an anonymous text first translated and documented in his recent "In Saint George’s Name". Techniques are organized thematically, are meticulously depicted and broken down with step-by–step instructions to facilitate learning.

A thorough, practical training guide scripted and filmed with a documentarian’s eye and an historian’s sensibilities, German Medieval Martial Arts, Volume One: The Poleaxe embodies the unique “swordsman-scholar” approach of the modern Western Martial Arts revival. Featuring a soundtrack by the renowned Paul Butler Consort, this is definitely not your usual “garage dojo” martial arts video.

You can also catch a video-trailer and sample clip online. Ready for immediate shipment.

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then 58 minutes of moving pictures are easily worth of 208.591.200 words, since there is roughly 208.591,2 pictures in the programme, assuming NTSC frame rate. Big Grin

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Christopher Valli
Industry Professional

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec wrote:
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then 58 minutes of moving pictures are easily worth of 208.591.200 words, since there is roughly 208.591,2 pictures in the programme, assuming NTSC frame rate. Big Grin

with the exact running time of 57m44s times 29.97 fps and each being a thousand words then this video is worth 103,846,050 words Laughing Out Loud
hmm but does that include the blended frames from the mpeg2 encoding on the dvd?

I hope everyone enjoys this project, all involved put their everything into it!

Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
www.speakingwindowproductions.com
Christopher Valli
Industry Professional

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wanted to mention too that the DVD is region 0 so it is playable internationally.
Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
www.speakingwindowproductions.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well tried to order and it didn't work, sent a message that I'm repeating here as a copy/paste as a backup and to ask what went wrong ? According to Christian the site should let you choose the shipping method and give the amount so that it can then be paid using Paypal:

COPY OF MESSAGE SENT ON THE SITE:

" Tried to order the two available books and the DVD and the system wouldn't accept an order from Canada or calculate the shipping charges. I also couldn't find a field where I could chose the shipping method of preference ( USPS ).

Tried twice and first got this error message: Sorry, we do not currently ship to the location that you have entered.

Logged back in for a second try and got this error message: No shipping rates are available for your shipping address.

This is sort of frustrating and I think it's just some sort of programming " glitch " unless you really don't want to ship to
Canada ! "

Unless this is fixed or there is a work around I can't buy the DVDs or the two books. Worried Cry

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I just tried entering your info and was able to get the USPS selection checked, along with a shipping cost. It's possible this was a passing glitch.

Could you try this again please, and if it fails, could you document each step along the way? We've definitely shipped lots of stuff to Canada.

Let me know what happens!

Sorry for any inconvience,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hi Jean,

I just tried entering your info and was able to get the USPS selection checked, along with a shipping cost. It's possible this was a passing glitch.

Could you try this again please, and if it fails, could you document each step along the way? We've definitely shipped lots of stuff to Canada.

Let me know what happens!

Sorry for any inconvience,

Christian

Nope still not working ???

1) Where do you select for shipping method I can't seem to find it or access it ?

When on the first screen with customer information at the top there is

1) Customer Info 2) Shipping 3) Review & Payment 4) Confirm order

Now I assume that one can go from 1) to 2) to 3) to 4) by selecting them in turn but on my screen I can only select 1) and the other selections are " pale " and do not become active when I put my cursor over them ..... so I can't access them directly.

If there is another way to go from 1 to 4 in sequence it is not obvious to me ??? I'm using a MAC using Safari could this be an issue ?

I tried going to " Check Out using Paypal " and this got me to Paypal where I logged in, pressing " continue " brought me back to your site but no obvious way to select the shipping method (2).

On another screen there was a box to select ZIP/POSTAL code: I entered my postal code but then got an error message telling me to put in the 5 number ZIP code ...... The Canadian postal codes are a combination of 6 letters and number total.

Error message: 5 DIGIT ZIP CODE PLEASE ..... obviously a 6 symbol Canadian Postal code is not a 5 digit ZIP code !

After a bit of back and forth on the screens ( BEFORE / NEXT ) and going back to VIEW cart I returned to the first screen
1) CUSTOMER INFORMATION
Pressing " NEXT ", bottom right corner should have gotten me to shipping I guess but instead I get the error message:
" Sorry, we do not currently ship to the location that you have entered."

So basically I can't get to the next step and enter the shipping information and I'm just going around in circles !

Hope the above is not too confusing as it's hard to be detailed about the process and remember everything done without maybe skipping some important intermediate step between not working and still not working. Wink

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean!

You can't navigate using the "1) Customer Info 2) Shipping 3) Review & Payment 4) Confirm order" thing at top. That display only tells you where you are in the process.

Instead, you must enter your shipping and billing info, then hit the NEXT button at the bottom right of the screen. That will take you to the shipping page, where you make your selection.

The Next button is what moves you from screen to screen, once you've filled in the info. If you find yourself on the same screen as before, look for red warning messages telling you where you may have omitted information.

In short, you can't select your shipping method (and I think only USPS is available for Canada) until you've successfully entered your customer info (address, etc.)

I hope this helps!

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hi Jean!

You can't navigate using the "1) Customer Info 2) Shipping 3) Review & Payment 4) Confirm order" thing at top. That display only tells you where you are in the process.

Instead, you must enter your shipping and billing info, then hit the NEXT button at the bottom right of the screen. That will take you to the shipping page, where you make your selection.

The Next button is what moves you from screen to screen, once you've filled in the info. If you find yourself on the same screen as before, look for red warning messages telling you where you may have omitted information.

In short, you can't select your shipping method (and I think only USPS is available for Canada) until you've successfully entered your customer info (address, etc.)

I hope this helps!

CHT

I'll try again once tonight but I think I did put in all the billing and address info but I'll try again from scratch and see if it works this time ? Maybe not filling something in and pressing go to Paypal locked things up so that going back wouldn't work ?

Seems odd though since filling in something like this should be simple and intuitive ? Anyway, will let you know if it worked or not and if it still doesn't work maybe we can figure it out tomorrow.

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok Jean - we'll get this to work one way or another, so don't worry!

Yours,

Christian, who's off to bed Happy

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well as soon as I click on NEXT " I get the we don't ship there message " all the address fields seemed properly filled in as well as billing info as far as I could tell.

Instead of pressing the Paypal option I tried the other checout button just to see if that made a difference but it didn't seem to: The only difference is that pressing Paypal gets me to the Paypal site first and then continue brings me back to your site.

( NOTE: Don't know if using the ordinary checkout permits you to go to Paypal later in the process or not ???? as I couldn't get past that error message ).

One paranoid though: Is your actual shipping handled by you directly or does it go though some sort of DVD publishing house? I ask because our Quebec nanny State language laws requiring French versions or French documentation on DVDs and films means that some outside of Quebec DVD publishing firms block shipping to Quebec of unilingual material to avoid the bureaucratic hassles ..... so if your " outside publishing house has such a policy some " computerized " program is blocking shipping to Quebec because there is no French version of your DVD available. ( That would explain the error message ! ).

Anyway, I could be wrong about this but some people have complained that they can't even get some things from other Canadian Provinces shipped to Quebec because the manufacturers would rather lose the business rather than make a French version of some product or other !

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please handle customer service issues and your own purchasing experience privately with the vendor, not in public where the entire world can read it.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

I've taken this to PM with Jean - sorry for the mess here!

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Please handle customer service issues and your own purchasing experience privately with the vendor, not in public where the entire world can read it.

Thank you.

Just one final note on it since I sort of should have taken it to P.M. much earlier and that Christian is taking care of it.

Sorry, my last comment on this issue but I didn't want to leave it without saying that I'm very satisfied with Christian's Customer service and didn't want to drop it without mentioning this publicly.

Sorry again Nathan. ( Hope this last comment is O.K. with you as I know you usually don't want people commenting on your or other moderator's posts ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a quick update: Order placed without any problems and got great customer service to solve the problem which was a software issue. Happy Cool

Looking forward to reading both books and the DVD and will show them around to my HEMA instructors at my group and fellow students.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got the DVD and the two books and I'm very pleased with all of them: Detailed reviews this won't be because I don't think I can do justice to the DVD or the books after just a first casual read and viewing to acquaint myself to them but the quality of the DVD is very good in content and production values. The DVD also has historical background about the fighting methods and the weapons themselves as well as interviews. ( The books are also very interesting and useful ).

The techniques are shown clearly and each is done 3 to 4 times in a row and I think this is a great idea as it means that one doesn't have to rewind and play to see the execution of each technique ( sure one can always go back and repeatedly view the action but it would be awkward to constantly go back and forward for every technique: The repeated techniques really help in memorizing them ).

Different angles and counters follow as well as counter to counters.

The DVD can first be viewed " academically " to get a good overview of the general principles and is very good for someone just wanting to understand and learn how these weapons where used. Secondly, one can concentrate on each chapter if one is also training with the poleaxe. ( I would suggest that having a portable DVD player one could use these as a supplement to live demonstration of a technique during class ).

Bottom line I'm looking forward to buying follow up DVDs on this subject and other related subjects.

The customer service was excellent and the only delay in receiving the package was that I made a Typo when writing my address and typed a 3 instead of a 4 in my street address number ...... my fault for the delay otherwise I would have had the package 10 days earlier. Cry Laughing Out Loud

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my DVD in good shape and in timely fashion (I entered my correct address Wink ). The web-based ordering page was a snap.

I'll not provide a review on the review thread until I've had time to absorb the material. I've only watched the DVD twice thus far. The first run through was spent slack-jawed staring at my idiot-box! Wow.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Mark Goble

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this dvd available from anywhere in the UK? The shipping cost to the UK from the US is quite high. Alternatively, is there any chance of a digital download option?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New High-quality German Poleaxe DVD Available!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic