Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > John Carter movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: John Carter movie         Reply with quote

Thomas A. Leigh wrote:

I'm still planning on seeing the movie, & I hope that it's good. I want to like it.

I'm really hoping that they do a remake of Romeo & Juliet where Juliet is a teenage vampire hunter & Romeo is a womanizing British super spy.

All good points and I read the books so many decades ago that the actual story in the book(s) is sort of a vague shadow of itself in my mind, so I do appreciate the jogging of my memory and specifically being reminded about what is very different from the original.

From your comments I can sense some despair mixed with hope about the film, and if you view the film putting aside the original from your mind you might be able to enjoy it better : Think of it as " Josh Cutter of Barsomethingelse "

But movies based on books or real history might be better if Hollywood just made them without trying to be cute and make them like everything else they made before. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the movie yesterday. Overall, I didn't care for it - the plot just didn't hold together well. I did like the visuals, and could enjoy some of the moment to moment things. I really liked the boat ride down the River Iss, aka Lake Powell in Utah - I want to do that someday, maybe rent a houseboat.

The movie Dejah Thoris is a typical modern cinema fighting action babe, very different from the book character, who was a standard early 20th century passive damsel in distress..

The Therns don't show up until the second book, and while villians, are not the omniscient beings from the movie.

Since the movie isn't doing that well financially in its opening week, there probably won't be a sequal.

Attachment: 59.98 KB
chessmen2.jpg
paperback cover of my favorite Mars book printed in the early 1960's - note the price
Lou Weaver

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: john carter movie         Reply with quote

Kaor to all the thans and panthans keeping the dream alive. I apreciate the responses from everyone and their viewpoints.Hollywierd will not ruin my boyhood memories and idealism nor my love for Burroughs literrary works wich it seems gets no recognition from the elites today even on its centenary of Tarzan of the apes and a princess of mars. Ridley Scott's prophets of science fiction prefers to pay homage to the usual writers and other Hollywierd moguls.I have yet to see any reference to Burroughs on local or national television news. That said, the wife and I are going to meet relatives at the Kabuki steak house where i will forget these sorrows with a few Saporos.In the future I would like to discuss how the standard Barsoomian warrior would wear his weapons and other items in realistic fashion.
'...you know best the promptings of yor own heart. that i shall need your sword i have little doubt, but accept from john carter upon his sacred honor the assurance that he will never call upon you to draw this sword other than in the cause of truth, justice and righteousness.'
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It wasn't as disappointing as I'd feared. Then again this was only because after seeing some initial stills and the trailer, I assumed it would suck the oxygen from the room. The Barsoom novels got me hooked on sci-fi and fantasy as a young boy. I was in highschool when I finished them and I must admit they became a bit tired as I grew older. I do have a soft spot for them although The Moon Men/Red Hawk was my favorite Burroughs effort.

This movie hit the topic in the very broad strokes with changes made to accommodate the sensibilities of a 21st century audience. Dejah Thoris is a kick-a$$ babe and more intelligent than JC in many ways, rather than the beautiful plot device in distress she was in the books. Being the progenitor of so many genre stereotypes, it's difficult for the material not to seem cliche. Modern audiences are also more sophisticated and require a bit more exposition to suspend their disbelief than the original material provides.

I didn't like the brooding, breathy delivery of the male lead and I didn't think he captured John Carter very well. The female lead, while exceedingly nice to look at, delivered a performance a bit overwrought for my taste. The CGI was good and it nailed the various creatures pretty well spot on. I would have liked to see a bit more steampunkishness in the technology though. The swords were the most dreadful thing in the entire effort.

I was mildly entertained for a couple of hours and it made me want to read the books again. That's the best I can say for it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > John Carter movie
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: