Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movie swords vs Real Swords Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Author Message
Alex Yeoh





Joined: 01 Nov 2004

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
The price for a custom sword can vary a lot depending on the finish and decorations. It's best to ask the smith.


thanks - but how much would the range be?
View user's profile Send private message
James A. Vargscarr




Location: Englishman living in Canada
Joined: 17 Oct 2004

Posts: 92

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Yeoh wrote:

thank you for the tip about Al Massey. I see he lives in Nova Scotia, which would hopefully be most convenient for me. May I ask how much a sword like that would cost?


You'd do best to drop him an e-mail, but you can get a rough idea from the 'Prices' page on his website.

http://members.allstream.net/~armjan/Index.html

To give you some idea, my leafblade has a 26" blade, 8" grip; with no fancy hilt materials - you should be able to price a similar sword using the information on Al's website.

By the way - a tip: some of the links on the website appear not to work. This is because Al recently changed servers, but some of the new URLs haven't been updated yet; I think the problem is limited to the gallery page. If you click on a dead link, check the URL to see if it displays the allstream.net server address. If not, just replace the 'attcanada.ca' portion of the URL with 'allstream.net', and you'll have it working.
View user's profile Send private message
Matt G. Meekma




Location: Horicon, Wi
Joined: 03 Mar 2004

Posts: 61

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Quote:

No! Don't even swing it. You don't even need to strike the blade to snap a bad rat tail tang. Display it on a wall, and enjoy it visually Happy


Better yet--take it apart first if you haven't already done so, study the construction and materials and get a clear idea what's "behind the curtain". Maybe someday you'll want to experiment with rehilting this blade for a different look. Maybe you'll want to cut down the blade to form a full tang and create a sturdier (albeit shorter) custom fantasy piece.



I don't know if i would suggest even that. If i remember right when Jason was showing us that blade at Albion, he said that he bent the tang just trying to get the pommel off. If it were me, i would just put it on the wall and enjoy it for the looks.

I know how you are feeling Alex, I love the Looks of fantasy blades, and in fact it doesn't even have to be a "fantasy" sword, If a blade design looks "cool" to me then i find myself drawn to it.

I never used to be into historically based swords, but after joining this page and seeing all the different style of blades and hilts that there actually were, i sure have changed my mind. Lately i have found my self drawn to scottish basket hilts, (Thank Nathan and Mac for that, all those darn pretty pictures! Razz ) mortuary Hilts, and most recently early celtic and Roman Stuff. In all of those categories there are examples of stuff that is pretty Fantastic in my book.

But knowing what you want is the most important thing. For me I will have no problems ordering from MRL, or Angus Trim. I will own stuff from both, as well as a few Albion Pieces and Hopefully a few custom things to boot. But from each and every one of those things i will have different expectations.

My Main suggestion is to continue to educate yourself on the subject and then when you make a purchase, no matter who it might be from, know why you made it and what level of quality to expect. In my experience with this method i haven't been upset yet.

You really should listen to these guys though... They really know their stuff and they are right, once you get around more functional swords there is no going back to cheap stainless steel substitutes, or my overly large collection of Starfires... But hey i still need those for the whole stage combat thing and got to love them!

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,199

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was browsing at a renaissance type store and was looking at prices of LOTR swords: An Arwen was priced at around $500 dollars canadian, and another one "Special Edition Anduril" at $2500 and worse the Shard of Narsil on a wooden plaque priced at something like$4500.......OUCH.

Unless these were the originals from the film It can only be a store taking advantage of clients totally unaware of the Normal price for these. Also I would guess that someone paying this price for an Anduril would probably believe that he was getting a real sword and not an overexpensive walhanger with a rat tail tang!

Now someone buying one of these at the normal price and knowing he was buying a wallhanger is perfectly fine.

So I guess a little research is a very good thing when starting a collection in a field that one has, at the moment, little experience.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Alex Yeoh





Joined: 01 Nov 2004

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw them as low as $50 brand new on ebay.

I've just sent back my UC Glamdring. Hopefully I will get a decent refund after customs duty :-(

"Only a fool would go after the singing sword!" - Bugs Bunny
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Fults




Location: Midwest
Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 3,500

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Yeoh wrote:
I saw them as low as $50 brand new on ebay.

I've just sent back my UC Glamdring. Hopefully I will get a decent refund after customs duty :-(


In some ways its a shame you felt you had to do that.

It would have made a great conversation piece which is what it was really designed to be in the first place.

"Our life is what our thoughts make it"
-Marcus Aurelius

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
-John F. Kennedy
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic has turned out to be very interesting! It's made a lot of us decide what drives our hobby, and many others really put into coherent terms our feelings about the various types of collecting goals we each have. This topic has been promoted into a Spotlight Topic.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alex Yeoh





Joined: 01 Nov 2004

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt G. Meekma wrote:
I know how you are feeling Alex, I love the Looks of fantasy blades, and in fact it doesn't even have to be a "fantasy" sword, If a blade design looks "cool" to me then i find myself drawn to it.

I never used to be into historically based swords, but after joining this page and seeing all the different style of blades and hilts that there actually were, i sure have changed my mind. Lately i have found my self drawn to scottish basket hilts, (Thank Nathan and Mac for that, all those darn pretty pictures! Razz ) mortuary Hilts, and most recently early celtic and Roman Stuff. In all of those categories there are examples of stuff that is pretty Fantastic in my book.

But knowing what you want is the most important thing. For me I will have no problems ordering from MRL, or Angus Trim. I will own stuff from both, as well as a few Albion Pieces and Hopefully a few custom things to boot. But from each and every one of those things i will have different expectations.

My Main suggestion is to continue to educate yourself on the subject and then when you make a purchase, no matter who it might be from, know why you made it and what level of quality to expect. In my experience with this method i haven't been upset yet.

You really should listen to these guys though... They really know their stuff and they are right, once you get around more functional swords there is no going back to cheap stainless steel substitutes, or my overly large collection of Starfires... But hey i still need those for the whole stage combat thing and got to love them!


I think I have been very influenced by everyone. Although I still love the elaborate hiltwork done by people like John Lundemo, I am more inclined to think "fine if it looks great - but it also has to function great too!". The LOTR swords are just beautiful, and I still love them, but the UC versions are just too heavy and with the rat-tail tang - too weak. If I could get a real sword that also looked like a LOTR sword AND didn't cost an arm and a leg - that would be fantastic.

I am now talking with a local company that does CAD-CAM laser cutting on all sorts of metals. They seem to think it is no problem to design and build any sort of elaborate hilt (cool!). Rounding off, and complex things like carving out eyes of a creature will still need to be handled by a machinist - but luckily they know a machinist too!! I'm real excited. I will get my ATrim sword, and then design a neat fantasy hilt for it. Because I live in Canada, I can't really be sending my sword over to the US for the custom hilt work because the customs duty is just too much.

Incidently - you know the sword trainer for the LOTR movies actually lives and trains in Edmonton (where I live)?

"Only a fool would go after the singing sword!" - Bugs Bunny
View user's profile Send private message
James A. Vargscarr




Location: Englishman living in Canada
Joined: 17 Oct 2004

Posts: 92

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Yeoh wrote:

I am now talking with a local company that does CAD-CAM laser cutting on all sorts of metals. They seem to think it is no problem to design and build any sort of elaborate hilt (cool!). Rounding off, and complex things like carving out eyes of a creature will still need to be handled by a machinist - but luckily they know a machinist too!! I'm real excited. I will get my ATrim sword, and then design a neat fantasy hilt for it. Because I live in Canada, I can't really be sending my sword over to the US for the custom hilt work because the customs duty is just too much.


Something to remember - unless your new hilt is being crafted by an experienced hilt-worker, you'll likely screw up the balance of the sword horribly by slapping your design onto an ATrim that was not designed for it. Remember, a functional sword is not just a sword that won't break when bashed - just as a sharp edge alone is not enough to qualify a sword as a decent cutter. A sword's mechanics are far more subtle and complicated than its simple appearence might lead you to believe. A good sword is not just a matter of tang size.

I understand your reluctance to send a sword over to the US for hilt work, but if you're buying from the US you could have it shipped via a sword craftsman to rehilt the blade. Your best bet would of course be to buy from Christian Fletcher direct and have him customise the sword to your specs before it leaves his shop.

If you've already bought a sword that's on its way to you; I would click around and look for a smith in Canada who might agree to do your hilt work for you. The hilt is integral to a sword's design, and adding an improperly weighted/shaped guard or pommel will nullify its finer abilities.
View user's profile Send private message
Alex Yeoh





Joined: 01 Nov 2004

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the tip, but I don't intend to add an elaborate hilt, and I will in fact add one that is similar in size to the old one. The original has a square side profile, so I will compensate by adding a curved profile to the cross-guard. I am also likely to keep the original pommel.

I have nothing against the original cross-guard, in fact I like it. But I've always wanted something that looked a bit out of the ordinary (not too much though). I saw a design that I absolutely adore so I will be going for that look.

As for your suggestion to have it sent to a hilt maker before I receive it, that's a good idea and I might explore it. I need to get the quote from the local guy first.

"Only a fool would go after the singing sword!" - Bugs Bunny
View user's profile Send private message
Patrick Kelly




Location: Wichita, Kansas
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 5,699

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just one point Alex,

Taking the extra step of sending the sword to a cutler isn't neccesary. Christian Fletcher is an Atrim dealer, and in fact will only work on swords purchased through him. So it would be possible to simply order the sword from him and tell him what you want. I'd highly advise going this route instead of dealing with someone who isn't familiar with the craft. Even small changes in design can have an effect on a swords mechanics. I'd hate to see you spend a considerable sum of money and be disappointed. Dealing directly with Christian will gain you a sword that is unique and structurally sound at the same time.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin


myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Just one point Alex,

Taking the extra step of sending the sword to a cutler isn't neccesary. Christian Fletcher is an Atrim dealer, and in fact will only work on swords purchased through him. So it would be possible to simply order the sword from him and tell him what you want. I'd highly advise going this route instead of dealing with someone who isn't familiar with the craft. Even small changes in design can have an effect on a swords mechanics. I'd hate to see you spend a considerable sum of money and be disappointed. Dealing directly with Christian will gain you a sword that is unique and structurally sound at the same time.


Alex has already bought the sword on the used market. Christian won't have time to upgrade it, anyway, because it wasn't purchased through him.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Patrick Kelly




Location: Wichita, Kansas
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 5,699

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Just one point Alex,

Taking the extra step of sending the sword to a cutler isn't neccesary. Christian Fletcher is an Atrim dealer, and in fact will only work on swords purchased through him. So it would be possible to simply order the sword from him and tell him what you want. I'd highly advise going this route instead of dealing with someone who isn't familiar with the craft. Even small changes in design can have an effect on a swords mechanics. I'd hate to see you spend a considerable sum of money and be disappointed. Dealing directly with Christian will gain you a sword that is unique and structurally sound at the same time.


Alex has already bought the sword on the used market. Christian won't have time to upgrade it, anyway, because it wasn't purchased through him.


Ah, thanks. That does cancel out Christian unfortunately.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,199

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex;

I have to say that I am very impressed by the speed of your learning curve: One has to only look at your first posts and compare it to your most recent ones, now one would think that you have been studying the subject and posting for years.

You also started a very interesting thread: congratulations!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Byler




Location: New Mexico
Joined: 20 Aug 2003

Posts: 209

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="James A. Vargscarr"]
Alex Yeoh wrote:
James - what about Viking Metal Works?

http://www.vikingmetalworks.com//swords.html

However...I'm afraid to say that Glen has been out of communication with his current clients for some time now, and most of them are in doubt as to whether they'll ever see their swords. I have no idea what might be up with Glen and I won't speculate. I will say that the Glen Parrell I know was not the kind of guy to take his customers' money and run; but the facts we have are pretty damning. I hope that Glen resurfaces soon with a satisfactory explanation, but until he does I will echo the advice of others and caution you - and any one else - not to commission a sword from Viking Metal Works. That said, I doubt you'd get a response to any inquiries to begin with - I haven't heard of Glen contacting anyone recently, whether to take orders or explain them.





Hi James.... I still admire that short sword quite a bit. It is a beauty. Glen does nice work and I enjoyed the 2 swords I had from him (sold to raise money for debts and expenses.... waaahhhh....). However, as you point out, he has been out of touch for a while and no one new whether he was gone for good or ill or what...

While it didn't explain away the absense in any way, I got a mail from Glen yesterday saying my patternwelded leafblade is finished up and ready to ship out.... He has promised me some pics in the next week or so, so I can hardly wait to see what he did with my design idea...

He said nothing about where he stands on new orders or his current contact info or anything else... So, can't say anything about that, other than I'm hopeful he will be 'back' soon. He does good work and I've said several times I think it would be a loss to sword folks if he were to quit....

Hopefully, soon, I will have a new sword to show off, though, and maybe other folks with late orders will be seeing their stuff as well... Got my fingers crossed on that. Glen said he was okay and still working on folks swords....

Well, that is all I can offer on this subject that is new at this time. Hope it works out ...
View user's profile Send private message
Lee O'Hagan




Location: Northamptonshire,England
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Likes: 5 pages

Posts: 509

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
That sounds some great news, made up for you chap,
Hopefully as you said the other bits will also eventually filter through too, Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Byler




Location: New Mexico
Joined: 20 Aug 2003

Posts: 209

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Hey Scott,
That sounds some great news, made up for you chap,
Hopefully as you said the other bits will also eventually filter through too, Happy


Thanks, Lee. Hoping it all turns out well, for certain. Happy
View user's profile Send private message
James A. Vargscarr




Location: Englishman living in Canada
Joined: 17 Oct 2004

Posts: 92

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Scot - I just replied to your Glen Parrell thread on SFI. I hope that this pleasant turn of events signifies the beginnings of a complete solution for everyone concerned. If this turns out to be the case, I also hope that word gets out quickly; because there has been a lot of very unpleasant speculation regarding Glen of late. And with good reason - I have every sympathy for those who felt cheated and suspicious due to Glen's apparent disappearance. However, for those of us who have dealt with Glen more than successfully in the past, it's been a confusing time that left us wondering whether to back him regardless, or condemn him based on the frustrations of his current clients. Since you fit into both camps, being a previously satisfied customer and a recent client in the dark, I was glad to see you were willing to give Glen the benefit of the doubt, and exhibited a resistance to judging him based solely on silence.

For my part, I've also tried to be fair to Glen, and honest about my successful dealings with Viking Metal Works to those with unfulfilled orders; but I really had no idea what to think of the issues at hand. I'm certainly glad that, like you, I reserved judgement.

Sadly, whatever the reasons for his silence, Glen will have a hard time regaining potential customers' trust. I hope he issues a public explanation to put paid to any rumours that remain; but I don't feel he owes anyone anything but the swords they commissioned from him. If he fulfils these orders, that's good enough for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to commission work from him again - delays are common in the custom smithing world, and as long as swords are made and shipped to everyone on the books, all is right with the world - even when lack of communication might make it appear terribly otherwise.

I quite agree that if Glen quit the smithing business it would be a huge loss to the sword community. His work is exceptional, and as far as my personal experience goes, he's also one of the most friendly, helpful, and trustworthy people to deal with. I hope whatever problems he's been dealing with are on the way to a solid resolution, and that through new commissions Glen regains the good reputation that was - in my mind - always synonymous with Viking Metal Works.

But I don't want to jump the gun. I can't wait to see pictures of your new sword, and I hope that Glen's other clients are equally vociferous in their praise when Glen delivers as they have been in their recent cautions - but I also hope they will continue to caution us all if it becomes or remains warranted.

Let's remain optimistic though - this is excellent news for all Viking Metal Works customers. Many thanks for posting, and for your kind words about my sword Happy

Apologies to the moderators for drifting off this thread's topic, but I wanted to respond to Scot's post, and so was hesitant to begin a new thread.
View user's profile Send private message
Patrick Kelly




Location: Wichita, Kansas
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 5,699

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is indeed good news Scot. As a past customer of Glen's I was distressed at this turn of events. Hopefully this signals a sea change for all of the customers with outstanding orders.

"Sadly, whatever the reasons for his silence, Glen will have a hard time regaining potential customers' trust."

Not really. Sword consumers are a notoriously fickle bunch. Most will cry and complain that their order is off in limbo and far overdue. They'll act as if the maker is the anti-christ incarnate. However, once their order is finally done and they have their shiny pretty in hand all of this is forgotten, and the maker is once again "The man". A few years ago many of us were ripped off by a well known maker. Most of those outstanding orders were never filled, yet he continues to recieve raves from new customers. For better or worse I don't see this having a detrimental effect on Glen's business in the long term, provided that he does indeed stay in the business.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Byler




Location: New Mexico
Joined: 20 Aug 2003

Posts: 209

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
This is indeed good news Scot. As a past customer of Glen's I was distressed at this turn of events. Hopefully this signals a sea change for all of the customers with outstanding orders.

"Sadly, whatever the reasons for his silence, Glen will have a hard time regaining potential customers' trust."

Not really. Sword consumers are a notoriously fickle bunch. Most will cry and complain that their order is off in limbo and far overdue. They'll act as if the maker is the anti-christ incarnate. However, once their order is finally done and they have their shiny pretty in hand all of this is forgotten, and the maker is once again "The man". A few years ago many of us were ripped off by a well known maker. Most of those outstanding orders were never filled, yet he continues to recieve raves from new customers. For better or worse I don't see this having a detrimental effect on Glen's business in the long term, provided that he does indeed stay in the business.


Patrick, I do hope that it is good news for all of Glen's customers. That will be told by time, as always, but I was pretty pleased to hear from him at any rate. Much better than silence.... Happy

I hope Glen will stay and the business and continue to improve and hopefully get his business back on track after this little hiatus. You are quite right that if Glen delivers that most will be happy to continue to deal with him. The particular project I had with him was a special case in my mind.... He made for me a truly, seriously impressive deal, and one that was very generous. Generous enough that I was willing to wait as much time as it took to see it done. Even after all the wait I still feel it was a very good deal given where it was not necessary but was simply, as I said, generous (maybe to a fault). So, when sword is in hand, I won't have anything consequential to complain about, on my side of things. A little more communication would have made things a bit more pleasant in the recent months, though, and might have allayed many worries.

In any case, I don't want to distract from the main thread anymore, so I'll close by saying that I'll post a report of how things go in the coming weeks... Hope it will be a more cheery picture than in recent times has been the case.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movie swords vs Real Swords
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2019 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum