Hello everyone.

I have re-read Chad Arnow's spotlight feature on great helms, but still have a few questions: after searching some miniatures and reading through some armor books I have, I still have no solid idea of when the transitional 'faceplate pot-helm' or the fluted, domed face plate helm came about. I am specifically looking for an era or range of years when it seems to have become somewhat common, along with places where they seem to have been concentrated--specifically early forms, but not all the various transitional forms. I read on one of these forums (name escapes me) that they may have arisen in an Iberian/Mediterranean setting, in response or imitation to the Islamic ocular faceplates on their own helms. The few images I have seen with early faceplates seem to encourage this, as they are shown with what I believe to be the Italo-Norman fluted style helm. Is there any parallel evolution in helms in the north of europe, based on the viking style ocular plates? Does anyone have more information on this subject?