myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another new stick: This time it is more cane like with a handle and for me cane versus stick means somewhat shorter and a different way of using/gripping it when walking.

When held by a handle the elbow should be just a little bit flexed for good support and to not become tiring to use.

With sticks and staffs one holds the piece on the shaft regardless of the handle shape or style: Although one can put a cane handle on a very long cane/stick it produces an awkward feel as the cane head tend to want to rotate in the hand as bit feeling like an axe held sideways as the closest comparison.

In very hilly terrain an over long stick with a cane head can be useful when going down hill, but then a regular long stick is very versatile as one can shift one's grip up and down on it fluidly.

I initially made this new one with a long shaft ( 42" ) but after a few days of city street use found it annoying and shortened it back down to cane length of 37" that seems to be the right length for me. ( Taller people = Taller cane and the reverse being true for shorter people ).

This one is lighter than my other sticks in not being as long or using Ebony which is very heavy in itself and not using a substantial brass or steel head: Weight 2 lbs 1.5 oz.

The handle is 6 1/4" long and 1 3/4" at it's thickest point.

White oak shaft, handle is a lamination of 1/4" Purpleheart in the centre with 1/4" Yellowheart on the next layer with the grain direction varied to maximize strength and also create a plywood reinforcement effect.

The outer sides are 1/2" thick Purpleheart. The whole thing glued using Titebond III and clamped together for 24 hours before being shaped with rasps, draw knife, abrasives and spokeshave like my previous sticks.

There is also a 1/4" threaded steel rod through the cane head and deep into the White Oak shaft. My usual use of a Windlass Butt Cap purchased from Kult of Athena.

One of the pics shows my preferred way to hold a cane handle which is reversed from the usual way one uses a cane: I just like this better and works with the wrist strap. ( Pic in next post )

I have some ideas for many different shapes for cane handles or stick " pommel like " tops using laminated woods in varying patterns that when carved should be interesting.

Attachment: 102.32 KB
Stick4 01.JPG
Wide shot.

Attachment: 125.74 KB
Stick4 02.JPG
Medium close up.

Attachment: 95.8 KB
Stick4 03.JPG
Buttcap + rubber tip.

Attachment: 141.57 KB
Stick4 04.JPG
Close up.

Attachment: 144.95 KB
Stick4 05.JPG
Close up other side.

Attachment: 140.09 KB
Stick4 06.JPG
Extreme close up: The grain of the Purpleheart looks even better in real life.

Attachment: 131.71 KB
Stick4 07.JPG
Top at a slight angle showing the laminations: The same wood looks darked on end grain.

Attachment: 155.46 KB
Stick4 08.JPG
Underside of handle.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 17 Apr, 2012 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pics: Note that the wood grain looks even better than in the pics as it's hard to see the almost holographic effect of the oiled wood showing depth in the grain and almost an iridescent sheen.

The oil finish is only at it's early stages and Purpleheart will turn a bit darker and redder with light exposure ( A bit like an apple oxidizing )

Attachment: 159.06 KB
Stick4 09.JPG

Attachment: 155.56 KB
Stick4 10.JPG

Attachment: 95.24 KB
Stick4 11.JPG

Attachment: 111.62 KB
Stick4 12.JPG
Showing my prefered way to hold the cane in use with a reversed grip: This is an effortless and not tiring grip because of the wrist strap.

Attachment: 119.18 KB
Stick4 13.JPG

David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that jean, it is functional and art at the same time
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
I really like that jean, it is functional and art at the same time

Thanks, I really like sculpting but I also need to make something with a purpose.

Part of the fun is the design process aesthetically and functionally: I do approach these as " art " ( Although I don't want to sound pretentious about it ), I also want to make very well designed sticks that are very stout and handle well both as walking aids but also designed with the same mindset I have designed and commissioned a Winged Spear for example.

Also, being good for practicing stick, cane and quarterstaff martial arts: I find this a lot less boring for aerobic exercise at the Gym than stationary cycling or running.

Anyway, might have another stick(s) to show in a few weeks, or a month or so. Big Grin

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud I've been busy making another new Stick.

I had a bit of help from Kenneth Speed who volunteered to make me some laminated tapering octagonal Hickory shafts.

In the pics you can see another blank piece of Hickory before being given a glass smooth polish and oiled with hand rubbed boiled linseed oil.

The finish is still at the early stage where the first few applications of oil haven't yet fully dried and hardened.

The finish will become more glossy when the finish matures over many more applications but as it is now as just semi gloss it is actually easier to photograph without getting too much reflections from the flash.

Total length: 43"
Shaft diameter near head: 1 1/4"
Shaft diameter at tip where it goes into the steel ferule ( Spear butt spike ): 3/4"
Weight: 1 lbs 3 oz.

The head is made from Grenadilla ( African Blackwood ):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalbergia_melanoxylon

This was a nice piece with yellow heart wood almost being half the width of the piece so that after carving there is still about 1/3 of the mass of the head being the lighter shade of wood. ( Often there is only a sliver of this heart wood that gets wasted since carving the wood often takes away all of this nice heart wood, I got lucky to find a piece with a lot of heart wood. Big Grin )

The stick was decorated by using a wood burning tool and it was touch and go there as I wasn't sure if it was a bad decision when I started to burn in a design ...... the next day adding more lines to make the pattern denser and doing some selective shading improved the look of surface drawing.

I also like the look of an undecorated shaft: Hard to see in the pics but the Hickory has some subtle tiger stripping and a nice figured grain that isn't apparent until the wood is oiled and burnished.

The shaft made by Kenneth is two pieces of Hickory glued and laminated back to back to maximize strength and shock resistance.

We are sort of sharing ideas and Kenneth might be making some walking staffs himself soon.

Attachment: 124.54 KB
Grenadillo01.JPG
The block of Grenadillo before being carved,

Attachment: 106.04 KB
Grenadillo02.JPG
Another view of the block.

Attachment: 95.17 KB
Stick5 01.JPG
Stick next to another octagonal shaft blank made by Kenneth.

Attachment: 118.98 KB
Stick5 02.JPG
Dark side of the stick ....

Attachment: 118.49 KB
Stick5 03.JPG
Rotated to show some heart wood.

Attachment: 107.86 KB
Stick5 04.JPG
Wider shot.

Attachment: 130.76 KB
Stick5 05.JPG
Close up of head and heart wood.

Attachment: 110.39 KB
Stick5 06.JPG
Close up of wood burning.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 10 May, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pics of different sides of the stick and angled pics of my holding it.

Will add my usual wrist strap as seen in previous sticks.

Attachment: 109.18 KB
Stick5 07.JPG
The shaded area at bottom of the wood burning is different on each side.

Attachment: 82.89 KB
Stick5 08.JPG
Close up of design and comparison with blank shaft.

Attachment: 115.02 KB
Stick5 09.JPG
Rotated to show another side.

Attachment: 106.78 KB
Stick5 11.JPG
Angled pic.

Attachment: 102.28 KB
Stick5 12.JPG

Attachment: 104.1 KB
Stick5 13.JPG

Attachment: 90.07 KB
Stick5 14.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And another Stick: This one made for Ken Speed who kindly made some Hickory shafts for me.

This one has a Purpleheart head of octagonal section at the top with a smaller rounded section, a copper spacer and tip, the shaft being White Oak.

As my usual practice, where it makes good design sense, there is a 1/4" pin approximately 6" long reinforcing the joining of head and shaft and also reduced diameter sections of head and shaft meeting mid-way inside the copper collar.

The whole thing epoxied together.

Ken wanted me to sign the stick so I burned into it " Made by JEAN THIBODEAU for KEN SPEED, 2012 ".

It seems that Ken is going to make some more shafts for me maybe using Ash and/or White Oak so I wanted to give him a finished Stick as he generously made shafts for me just because he wanted to. Big Grin Cool Cool Cool

Attachment: 94.06 KB
Stick6 01.JPG

Attachment: 111.71 KB
Stick6 02.JPG

Attachment: 79.67 KB
Stick6 03.JPG

Attachment: 110.54 KB
Stick6 04.JPG

Attachment: 94.07 KB
Stick6 05.JPG

Attachment: 113.9 KB
Stick6 06.JPG

Attachment: 119.07 KB
Stick6 07.JPG

Attachment: 91.63 KB
Stick6 08.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics ot the stick..

Attachment: 88.74 KB
Stick6 09.JPG

Attachment: 79.38 KB
Stick6 10.JPG

Attachment: 78.25 KB
Stick6 11.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A new Walking Staff and a new Walking stick with a cane handle.

Here are pics of the Staff using a longer 48" Hickory shaft and pics of a cane handled Stick using one of the shorter shafts Ken made for me.

The Staff uses the smaller left over piece of African Blackwood with the lighter sap wood from an earlier stick, 4 pieces of 1/4" Pau Amerello rotated 45 degrees between layers and a narrow 1/8" layer of Macassar Ebony.

The whole head and spacers are octagonal and transition directly from the octagonal Hickory shaft. ( Steel pin reinforcement joining the head assembly to the shaft ).

The Cane/Stick has a handle made of a sandwich of two pieces of Macassar Ebony with an in between checkerboard pattern made of small rectangles of Pau Amerello ( Yellow wood ) alternating with equally sized pieces of Jatoba ( Reddish wood ). In all of these pieces of the handle the grain runs lengthways.

This handle has a third piece of Macassar Ebony running vertically with the grain of the wood also vertically. This section is octagonal like the Hickory shaft. The copper spacer is obviously round. There is also a 1/4" steel pin joining the head to shaft about 5" long.

Cane weight: 1 lbs 8oz. to me very light and it's very comfortable in the hand when walking.

Both Staff and Cane use the same type of steel butt spike.

Attachment: 94.81 KB
Staff2 01.JPG
Staff and stick next to each other to show size and scale.

Attachment: 122.96 KB
Staff2 02.JPG
Close-up on head and spacers.

Attachment: 103.08 KB
Staff2 03.JPG
Extreme close-up on spacers.

Attachment: 92.65 KB
Staff2 04.JPG
Hanwey, Butt Spike.

Attachment: 94.12 KB
Staff2 05.JPG
Staff at and angle showing the lighter sap wood.

Attachment: 96.44 KB
Stick7 01.JPG
Cane/stick.

Attachment: 118.74 KB
Stick7 03.JPG
Close-up of checkerboard pattern.

Attachment: 124.12 KB
Stick7 04.JPG
Other side.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics of the Walking Staff and cane/Stick.

Attachment: 81.3 KB
Stick7 06.JPG
Sorry this one a little dark.

Attachment: 88.11 KB
Stick7 07.JPG
Rounded top and bottom on handle on octagonal " stem ".

Attachment: 102.81 KB
Stick7 08.JPG
Very comfortable in hand.

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bit of information about the walking stick Jean made for me: the shaft is Asian white oak which is often used for Asian staff weapons and the Purpleheart head has almost the diameter of a cue ball. Jean said, in what I thought was a very understated manner, that the stick also had martial potential.

While Jean provided a crutch tip for the stick I didn't want to cover up the copper end cap so I bought a small bottle of contact cement and adhered a thin piece of rubber to the bottom of the cap.

The photos don't do the stick justice; Jean did an outstanding job on it especially the purpleheart head.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Great job, as usual!

BTW, as a proud owner of one of Jean's "Mace-handled" walking sticks, I can honestly say that I feel absolutely confident of being able to handle just about any sort of situation which may arise while carrying it! I take long walks in the woods, and I know that I am quite safe from harm from any four-legged creatures I may come across, and most two-legged ones as well. Besides this, it's a VERY comfortable stick to use, and helps greatly with "pacing" my walk. It also helps when crossing downed trees, limbs and any large rocks which may present themselves in my path. It has become my constant companion, and I am grateful to Jean for constructing it for me.

And besides all of that, it's cool. Cool

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And, again, a new stick and a simple " Jo " stick enhanced with copper end caps and a rubber tip and wrist strap that I can remove easily to practice light staff work in a nearby Park, and put these back on as a walking staff.

Usual construction using a Purpleheart centre, next Jatoba layer with upper section with grain running parallel ( Horizontal ) to floor when the stick is vertical. All other layers are in line with the shaft/vertical.

Zebrano on the outside layer and used because of it's dramatic grain contrast colours.

Someone I showed it to mentioned that in profile the head sort of reminds one of a Toucan parrot: This wasn't planned but I agree it reminds me of a Toucan.

The handle is fairly short and intended more as a decorative head than as a cane handle, so I consider this one more a stick than a cane and it's also longer, 44", than what would be ideal for a cane as it is held in the hand below the stainless steel collar using the wrist strap.

The head would function very well as a hook for Bartitsu or French cane work for joint locking.

With the grain running in different directions in critical places this head shouldn't be very easy to break considering that Purpleheart, Jatoba and the Zebrano are all much harder than Oak or Hickory.

Jatoba can easily split if pressure is applied to a narrow section of cross grain but is otherwise incredibly strong along the grain, the Zebrano seem more resistant to splitting but not as hard as Jatoba and Purpleheart is strong and tough also: Any weaknesses are compensated for by creating a plywood effect where one wood is weak it is reinforced by the other's grain running at 90 degrees to the other anywhere where the cross section is narrow and vulnerable to breakage.

Last two pics ( On the next post ) show the " JO " stick with copper caps and wrist strap.
By the way, I used rubber tips made for furniture legs and I like these better than crutch tips as they are smaller in outer dimensions and don't look " clunky ", they also seem as durable or even more than the crutch tips that seem to wear down rather quickly when used outdoors. ( Time will confirm or contradict this after I've used these furniture tips for a while ).

Attachment: 115.88 KB
Stick8 01.JPG

Attachment: 102.49 KB
Stick8 02.JPG

Attachment: 112.07 KB
Stick8 03.JPG

Attachment: 101.67 KB
Stick8 04.JPG

Attachment: 95.95 KB
Stick8 05.JPG

Attachment: 75.05 KB
Stick8 06.JPG

Attachment: 87.41 KB
Stick8 07.JPG

Attachment: 85.99 KB
Stick8 08.JPG

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 01 Aug, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pics + pics of the " JO " stick next to the Zebrano handled stick, 51" long by 3/4' diameter.

Attachment: 98.74 KB
Stick8 09.JPG

Attachment: 107.92 KB
Stick8 10.JPG

Attachment: 93.94 KB
Stick8 11.JPG

Attachment: 97.11 KB
Stick8 12.JPG

Attachment: 96.68 KB
Stick8 13.JPG

Attachment: 135.52 KB
Stick8 14.JPG

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I also use and make much longer walking staffs around 4' to 5' long and those are good for very long walks and hiking in uneven terrain.

One gets used and addicted to using a stick even if one doesn't really need one due to some health problem. I also find them very much essential on our very slippery sidewalks in winter and to pole vault over the big puddles at street corners when the snow melt.

Beautiful looking sticks Jean! Nicely done. My favorite is the one you started this thread with.

I quoted your statement above for emphasis. At this point in my life I'm fairly fit and agile, and just this last weekend I found myself improvising a walking stick to use during a SAR mission. I just found a large stick and broke it to the length I needed. We were searching in very tight and overgrown woods. I used the stick to move brush apart to look and climb through, clear spiderwebs, and push sticker bushes and poison oak out of the way. It also came in handy as you said for polevaulting across small creeks (or at least stability while crossing on boulders). On the trails I was surpised to find how quickly I got used to walking with it.

I'm a backpacker and am one of the relatively few anymore who don't use trekking poles. But that walking stick sure came in handy during this recent SAR mission. I could see myself using a nice walking stick more often after that experience.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I also use and make much longer walking staffs around 4' to 5' long and those are good for very long walks and hiking in uneven terrain.

One gets used and addicted to using a stick even if one doesn't really need one due to some health problem. I also find them very much essential on our very slippery sidewalks in winter and to pole vault over the big puddles at street corners when the snow melt.

On the trails I was surprised to find how quickly I got used to walking with it.

I'm a backpacker and am one of the relatively few anymore who don't use trekking poles. But that walking stick sure came in handy during this recent SAR mission. I could see myself using a nice walking stick more often after that experience.

Yes, they can be very addictive and even nice for power walking to get in shape if one isn't quite up to jogging.

So, did you keep that found stick ? If yes, you could probably strip it of any bark and let it dry for a while and then trim it and add a metal butt to it: Well this would only be worth the trouble if it's some sort of decent hardwood.

I've read that when drying a stick/branch can crack at the freshly cut ends because the end dry faster than the centre of the stick: One thing one can do is to put some vaseline to slow down the drying of the ends and maybe also leave the stick longer than what you plan is to be it's final length and saw off any cracked ends.

( NOTE: Just to add some useful content to this post I'm adding some pics of my " New Best Friend ": The Adze, for roughing out the shape of stick handles or shafts when the wood is extremely hard and slow to work with plane, draw knife, spokeshave, rasps or scrapers ).

Attachment: 95.73 KB
Adze01.JPG

Attachment: 99.54 KB
Adze02.JPG

Attachment: 105.48 KB
Adze03.JPG

Attachment: 103.03 KB
Adze04.JPG

Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its been a while since I checked this thread, and man, Jean, you've been busy. Great work. You really have a good eye (and hand) for this.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one has a Grenadillo ( A.K A. African Blackwood ) head on a White Oak shaft.

Made this one for a friend who works at my gym and he wanted his initials on it and the playing card suit of Spades.

Carved the Spades on top of the handle and wood burned in the initials on the White Oak shaft.

I have a few in progress pics on this one showing the head assembly when roughly carved and the 1/4" diameter threaded steel pin holding things together in addition to the Titebond III adhesive.

The head is made of two parts with a vertical and an horizontal section glued together as blocks of wood and carved together after being glued and pinned together.

The first pics are of the early stages of the carving when the general shape was established, followed by pics after the carving was refined a bit and the Spade carved in and finally by the mounted and finished stick.

Attachment: 115.5 KB
Stick9 01.JPG

Attachment: 103.32 KB
Stick9 02.JPG

Attachment: 116.08 KB
Stick9 03.JPG

Attachment: 90.76 KB
Stick9 04.JPG

Attachment: 94.91 KB
Stick9 05.JPG

Attachment: 136.44 KB
Stick9 06.JPG
After slimming and carving of the Spade symbol.

Attachment: 139.18 KB
Stick9 08.JPG

Attachment: 167.11 KB
Stick9 10.JPG

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One more pic after the Spade was carved on top of the handle + the finished and assembled stick.

Attachment: 144.57 KB
Stick9 11.JPG

Attachment: 153.14 KB
Stick9 14.JPG

Attachment: 142.41 KB
Stick9 15.JPG

Attachment: 116.35 KB
Stick9 16.JPG

Attachment: 94.39 KB
Stick9 17.JPG

Attachment: 92.72 KB
Stick9 18.JPG

Attachment: 97.69 KB
Stick9 20.JPG

Attachment: 169.74 KB
Stick9 22.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And some more pics of the finished stick.

Attachment: 149.74 KB
Stick9 23.JPG

Attachment: 153.11 KB
Stick9 24.JPG

Attachment: 129.79 KB
Stick9 25.JPG

Attachment: 102.33 KB
Stick9 28.JPG

Attachment: 106.95 KB
Stick9 29.JPG

Attachment: 101.59 KB
Stick9 31.JPG

Attachment: 94.17 KB
Stick9 32.JPG

Attachment: 89.82 KB
Stick9 33.JPG

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: