Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Coustille sword. Examples? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: MRL Coustille sword. Examples?         Reply with quote

As it happens too often with me, I'd buy an item an then I'd do the research. So I ordered the MRL's Coustille sword. It is meant to be an overgrown dagger. The name Coustel ( or Cultellus) refers to dagger, as elaborated by E. Oakeshott in the Archeology of weapons (p 253), but from the descriptions of the weapons in the period literature they are more like the "normal" daggers, and in one inctance a very long (~20in) but slender blade is depicted in the Apocalypse in the Triity college library.

The MRL coustille sword/dagger (why spell the name that way and not coustel?) is not slander (IMO). It has 17in blade and is 23" overall in length (at ~1.8lb). It looks like a shrunk type XIV. MRL makes it sound that this was a very common weapon and dates it to 1300-1350. Does anybody know of depictions or has handled/seen an original of such a weapon. MRL cites a drawing in the book "Age of Chivalry" by Liliane and Fred Funcken. Any chance of a scan?

Thanks for any input. I will chare my opinion impression of the weapon. I know few other forumites that have this weapon, but it has not sparked any discussions so far.

Alexi

More pictures:
http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1457...mp;close=1
http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1457&step=4

Attachment: 45.15 KB
1-507.JPG
The Coustelle
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi;

I think Coustille is the French version of the name also Coustille is also used I think to describe the common soldier of the time: Somewhat derogatory connotations of "Cut troat" or brigand, a popular weapon for peasants and common soldiers good as a secondary weapon and usefull in back ally or tavern fights.

To quote from "The Archaeology of weapon" , Oakeshott page 253 "From their use of this weapon bodies of foot soldiers came to be called "COUSTILLIERS", and even as early as the middle of the twelfth century the term was applied in an entirely derogatory sense to bands of brigands".

OOOOPS just reread your post and I see that you are quoting the same source, well maybe others will benefit from the short quote so I won't delete the above.

I do have a custom dagger with a 15" blade that looks like a lighter and slimmer version of a Coustille diamond section, I wonder if at that lenght it would still be long enough to deserve the name? Maybe at the lower limit. (Not strictly a period piece 440C stainless at 60R.C. and scary sharp.)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I finally received the Coustille sword and I was very quickly reminded why Windlass products are low on the food-chain.
Having handled only Albion's stuff and my Atrim recently, some of the flaws on the Coustille made me dissatisfied with the product but I had to remind my self that this is the reason it is cheep. Now that I have gotten over it I think that is might be money well spent.

It is hard to talk about heft on a 23in weapon but I will try to convey its characteristics for those interested. The sword (or maybe I should call it dagger) feels light in the hand and rather comfortable albeit the grip being a bit too narrow for my hand.

The POB is 1.75in from the top of the guard. The blade does not feel that it could deliver a powerful stroke. Maybe it is not meant to be used in a striking/cutting fashion. That changes if I slide my hand and grip part of the pommel as a swing ( that moved the POB away from my hand) and the sword feels a bit more hefty. I can quite easily align the sword in a cut and hear the gratifying "woosh" as I swing it. I think a smaller (lighter) pommel could improve the heft of the sword.

The point of the blade is needle sharp but that cannot be said about the edges (I think it is the standard that the Windlass blades some unsharpened). The is no distal tapper until after the fuller finishes. The blade is VERY stiff, which together with its sharp point makes it pretty good for trusting.

The hilt construction is still a mystery to me . The pommel does not have a nut so I think that it is directly screwed on the tang. The drip is leather over wood. The problem is that the wood can be seen under the leather where the seam if the grip is. Nothing terrible but it is there. Somehow I get the feeling that the tang will not handle cutting. I will try cutting soon enough, but if anyone has experience (good or bad) with this sword please tell me before I irreversibly damage the sword.

The lines of the sword look great (IMO) from some distance. But upon closer inspection irregularities start to emerge.
The pommel's two faces are not symmetrical, for one. The blade when inspected under the right angles shows this waving on the surface. (luckily it is totaly invisible when looked straight on). There are no machining marks, however.
The lines of the fullers are not as crisp as on the picture, but the fullers is straight and it ends at the same place on both surfaces of the blade. The Fade of the fuller is nice and gradual.

Now that I have stripped the liqueur (few hours of scrubbing with sand-paper) I can start sharpening, aging, and finishing the blade to my likes.

The recess in the pommel is nice in the sense that I can insert something there to add "character" (coin reproductions for example).

I particularly like the shape of the guard, as the smooth lines make it attractive. The swelling of the ends of the guard is very nicely done.

If the tang is of a decent construction, the $108 I spent on this sword will be well worth it, as it will give me the joy of experimenting with aging an what not and still having a tool that can do its job. The scabbard is VERY loose but that is nothing new.

Few picture follow (I apologize for the quality but I had limited light and did not want to use flash). Bear in mind that the sword is not finished properly yet (polished only with 250grit sand-paper)

Attachment: 40.94 KB
Coustille1.JPG

Attachment: 57.72 KB
Coustille2.JPG

Attachment: 64.23 KB
coustiulle3.JPG

Attachment: 29.94 KB
coustille in hand.JPG

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the money spent I really don't think it looks that bad. IMHO it's definetly a candidate for some antiquing. The pommel should be threaded directly onto the tang, so It should screw off fairly easily.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
For the money spent I really don't think it looks that bad. IMHO it's definetly a candidate for some antiquing. The pommel should be threaded directly onto the tang, so It should screw off fairly easily.

Thanks Patrick.

The pommel did come off easily. Here is a pic. Not the beefiest tang that I have seen, but it might hold (or not).

Alexi

Attachment: 31.22 KB
Coustelle disassembled.JPG

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi,

Could you post a picture of the blade shoulder, assuming the guard will come off?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Alexi,

Could you post a picture of the blade shoulder, assuming the guard will come off?

Sure. One comment: I can bend the top of the tang with little effort Eek! Don't know how much of a problem that will be in term of performance.

Alexi

Attachment: 43.97 KB
Coustelle disassembled 2.JPG

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting.

Does not appear to be a stub welded on, and yet they appear to have done a poor job with the shoulder. Would shaping it to avoid stress points have added that much to the construction effort? Probably would not have hurt production time/cost to leave a bit more meat on the tang either.

How much effort does it take to bend the tang?

That does not sound great IMO.

If you got this one from MRL maybe you should see about a swap?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 07 Nov, 2004 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The tang could be wider but it's probably sufficient for what it is. It is an overgrown knife after all, not really a sword. If the tang is easily bendable it may indicate a lack of heat treatment in the tang, so the sharp shoulders wouldn't be a problem there. Quite a few antiques have sharp shoulders, however, their tangs are made of soft iron and aren't heat treated so it isn't an issue. Not an ideal design to be sure. But like I said, for the price it looks okay to me. It really strikes me more as a cheap project to tinker with rather than a serious user/collectable.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The tang could be wider but it's probably sufficient for what it is. It is an overgrown knife after all, not really a sword. If the tang is easily bendable it may indicate a lack of heat treatment in the tang, so the sharp shoulders wouldn't be a problem there. Quite a few antiques have sharp shoulders, however, their tangs are made of soft iron and aren't heat treated so it isn't an issue. Not an ideal design to be sure. But like I said, for the price it looks okay to me. It really strikes me more as a cheap project to tinker with rather than a serious user/collectable.

Good points.

Guess I just figured looking at it that they would not have incurred that much extra effort to make some seemingly minor (IMO) improvements that really would have improved the value to me. Especially since they seem to have gone through the bother of forging out or grinding the tang rather than welding one on.

You are right though, for the price it seems a decent deal.

Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr Goranov
Nice pictures. I think it looks quite an attractive little thing (whether sword or dagger), and the construction doesn't look bad for the price, as has already been said. One question. I understand that MRL will take returns readily, but only if you take the regular (unsharp) version, so, the question, how 'unsharp' is it? Is it possible to give and estimate of edge thickness, and is it rounded or flat?
Regards
Geoff
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Good points.

Guess I just figured looking at it that they would not have incurred that much extra effort to make some seemingly minor (IMO) improvements that really would have improved the value to me. Especially since they seem to have gone through the bother of forging out or grinding the tang rather than welding one on.

You are right though, for the price it seems a decent deal.

I agree. Sometimes I look at a lot of the Windlass stuff and scratch my head. It wouldn't take that much more effort to go one step further on many of the design features. It's hard to say why they do things that way. Other than that they simply don't have any intrest in doing it any differently.

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Mr Goranov
Nice pictures. I think it looks quite an attractive little thing (whether sword or dagger), and the construction doesn't look bad for the price, as has already been said. One question. I understand that MRL will take returns readily, but only if you take the regular (unsharp) version, so, the question, how 'unsharp' is it? Is it possible to give and estimate of edge thickness, and is it rounded or flat?
Regards
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I got the sword form "by-the-sword.com" not from MRL. Two reasons: BTS had it in stock and MRL did not and second, the price was $108 at BTS and $120 at MRL. At this point I do not think I can do swaps as I have stripped the lacquer from the blade and hilt components, plus what is the guarantee that the next one would not be worst than this and not better.

I can only bend the top of the tang if I put enough force in to it (just by holding the blade and and the pommel and bending).
My guess is that only the lower part of the tang (and the blade) got heat treated, like Patrick said.

Regarding the sharpness, it varies along the blade. One part of the blade could cut paper easily, but most of the blade has about 1mm rounded edge, which gets thicker ~2mm near the point. To put a good edge will take me A LOT of TIME as I am only using 250grit sand paper. This is not a complaint, as I bought this overgrown knife for a home-project type things.

The biggest production mistake (or rather carelessness) was that the tang was not cut symmetrically. This is not obvious from the pictures, but the tang is slightly (2-3mm) off center. The width of the tang was supposed to be the width of the fuller, but on one side it was cut more, and on the other it was flush with the fuller. Not a tremendous problem and it is more of a sign of carelessness than production design flaw.

But as was mentioned several times, not a bad buy for the money. I am still amazed at the straight lines of the blade and the fuller.

Alexi
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I reviewed this sword: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_alb.html , one of the things that suprised me was the nice finish on the blade itself. It was certainly better than what I had previously seen from Windlass.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote:
Mr Goranov
Regards
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I got the sword form "by-the-sword.com" not from MRL. Two reasons: BTS had it in stock and MRL did not and second, the price was $108 at BTS and $120 at MRL. At this point I do not think I can do swaps as I have stripped the lacquer from the blade and hilt components, plus what is the guarantee that the next one would not be worst than this and not better.

I can only bend the top of the tang if I put enough force in to it (just by holding the blade and and the pommel and bending).
My guess is that only the lower part of the tang (and the blade) got heat treated, like Patrick said.

Regarding the sharpness, it varies along the blade. One part of the blade could cut paper easily, but most of the blade has about 1mm rounded edge, which gets thicker ~2mm near the point. To put a good edge will take me A LOT of TIME as I am only using 250grit sand paper. This is not a complaint, as I bought this overgrown knife for a home-project type things.

The biggest production mistake (or rather carelessness) was that the tang was not cut symmetrically. This is not obvious from the pictures, but the tang is slightly (2-3mm) off center. The width of the tang was supposed to be the width of the fuller, but on one side it was cut more, and on the other it was flush with the fuller. Not a tremendous problem and it is more of a sign of carelessness than production design flaw.

But as was mentioned several times, not a bad buy for the money. I am still amazed at the straight lines of the blade and the fuller.

Alexi

Alexi
Thanks for the information. I agree, sounds like it would be a lot of work (I spent an age sharpening a Chen scram with similar characteristics, and that was single edged and shorter).
Geoff
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

Sure. One comment: I can bend the top of the tang with little effort Eek! Don't know how much of a problem that will be in term of performance.

Alexi

Hi, Alexi.

I'm not quite clear about this last, as it basically confirms the idea of a proper treatment (or at least the attempt) to my mind. Alexi, are you saying that the tang will bend and take a set? Or, simply that the tang will flex rather more easily than the overall blade cross-section, and then return? Given this last scenario, and with the transition from the blade proper to the narrower tang width (which looks sufficient to my untutored eye, given the design), you would expect greater flex in this area compared to the rest of what you described as a rather stiff, well-fullered blade.

Either way, it doesn't seem like a big deal. The reason I ask, is that I'd actually be a little surprised to discover that Windlass was spending the extra effort in either the initial quench or in a careful drawing back of the temper on the tang alone to acheive the former description (assuming the blade temper is as stated, I guess) of a drastically softer, albeit tougher tang. I've long assumed Windlass pieces were simply through treated, drawn as a whole, and that was that...I still believe this, actually.

Clear, to-the-point pictures, btw. My thanks for taking the time, Alexi, as I've long wondered about this piece...I think I'll try one for myself.

Mike

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael G. Myers wrote:

Hi, Alexi.

I'm not quite clear about this last, as it basically confirms the idea of a proper treatment (or at least the attempt) to my mind. Alexi, are you saying that the tang will bend and take a set? Or, simply that the tang will flex rather more easily than the overall blade cross-section, and then return? Given this last scenario, and with the transition from the blade proper to the narrower tang width (which looks sufficient to my untutored eye, given the design), you would expect greater flex in this area compared to the rest of what you described as a rather stiff, well-fullered blade.

Either way, it doesn't seem like a big deal. The reason I ask, is that I'd actually be a little surprised to discover that Windlass was spending the extra effort in either the initial quench or in a careful drawing back of the temper on the tang alone to acheive the former description (assuming the blade temper is as stated, I guess) of a drastically softer, albeit tougher tang. I've long assumed Windlass pieces were simply through treated, drawn as a whole, and that was that...I still believe this, actually.

Clear, to-the-point pictures, btw. My thanks for taking the time, Alexi, as I've long wondered about this piece...I think I'll try one for myself.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I used the wrong expression. I am sorry. I meant that the top of tang will take a set when bent. The rest of the tang and the blade is rather hard to bend to start with, I managed to bend the blade only a few degrees and it did not take a set.

Alexi
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Alexi.

No, if that's the case, your description was accurate and I was the one going off on a lark. Wink

And the tang is definitely one piece with body and threaded portion? Hmmm, I'll defer to Patrick or perhaps one of the other makers will drop by the thread. How about it? Simple quench? Is Windlass taking more effort in the drawing phase than I'd given them credit for?

Mike

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's a bargain. I certainly wouldn't do that much hand/machine work for a measly $100, and then you add in the cost of steel, etc. Heck, I wouldn't write the catalog copy for that. I've often wondered about this piece, and your notes and photos make it that much more interesting. By the way, I find that the Windlass edge sharpens easily with a file, followed by a stone. If the scabbard has a metal throat, press on it a bit while empty and it'll hold the sword more securely. Thanks for the post! I wish everybody who gets a new repro would follow suit.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Alexi,
Looks like a nice thing to mess around with. Looking at your pictures the construction of the hilt is the same as that used on my A&A crusader dagger- same thickness tang so like others I say gool value. Jeremy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Coustille sword. Examples?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: