Custom type U viking sword from Michael Pikula
I just got an email with photos of my latest sword made by Michael Pikula. It has a Peteresen type U hilt. Here are the specs he sent:

Length overall: 37.5"
Blade Length: 31.7"
Blade width at guard: 2.3"
Weight : 2lb 8oz
Point Of Balance: 5.7” forward of guard

The inlay is copper wire. I have attached pictures of the sword and of the original it was made after. I think Michael did another excellent job! I am looking forward to holding it! I'll add some "in hand" photos when I get it.

Attachment: 35.57 KB
DSCN1852[1].JPG

Attachment: 34.62 KB
DSCN1847[1].JPG

Attachment: 41.29 KB
DSCN1853[1].JPG

Attachment: 32.86 KB
308365570.jpg

Wow, that's my favorite so far from Michael. That is beautiful. I'd like to see an "in hand" shot if possible, Tim, when you get it. It looks to have a very authoritative heft to it.
Very impressive. I love the copper inlay.
Michael really rocks with such wide blades and wide fullers... And the hilt is beautiful too...
Tim, Tim, Tim, you'r really going to have to stop getting all of these beautiful pieces, you'r going to make people around here seriously jealous. As always, great choice of sword and of smith. I'm still waiting to see a group shot of you'r collection though ;-)
A new sword is about 5-6th on my list. When it gets there I am 95% sure Michael is going to make it. He does beautiful work.
Ahhh, so you did get the ROM sword done! And Michael has done a beautiful Job. You'll likely never give this one up, but you should will it to the ROM - it would look great hanging next to the original for my kids and grandkids to enjoy (seriously!).

Tim, how do you even find time to enjoy all these masterpieces? It seems like you have one rolling in every two months or so.

-JD
Michael's work always impresses. Congratulations!
That's just superb Tim!

Congratulations to you and to Michael for producing such a fine, fine weapon.

I'm loving the inlay.
Truly fantastic craftsmanship! You are fortunate to have that!
Great sword! I can definitely see a Viking with that one. Love the inlay.
That's just awesome..... Michael has a great talent for the Viking-type sword!!!!
A truly fantastic sword. I love the wide fullered blade. I too would like to see a "in-hand" picture of this.
Another great sword from Michael, and I'm not surprised already having a couple of his swords and numerous spears from him.
Wow, in no time you'll have enough swords and weapons to open your own museum. I'd definitely pay to visit!
This sword arrived yesterday and it is BRILLIANT! Michael did his usual outstanding job. I can't say enough good things about his talent and the product he delivers. He's a great smith to work with if you're in the market for a custom sword. Anyway, here are a few more pictures of the sword. One in hand, and another with some friends...

Attachment: 42.38 KB
Type U hand.JPG

Attachment: 43.72 KB
Type U group.JPG

That's absolutely stunning. I love a good broad blade with a fuller to match on a viking sword!

A matter of curiosity - that grip on the original looks longer than average for a viking-age sword. Is that the case, or do mine eyes deceive me?

Congratulations on a beautiful blade!
That is outrageous.
Peter Messent wrote:

A matter of curiosity - that grip on the original looks longer than average for a viking-age sword. Is that the case, or do mine eyes deceive me?

It is a bit of a long grip. I like it. As you can see in the "in hand" photo, it leaves a bit of room when gripping it. It makes for a really comfortable grip when using the hammer grip.
Tim Lison wrote:
Peter Messent wrote:

It is a bit of a long grip. I like it. As you can see in the "in hand" photo, it leaves a bit of room when gripping it. It makes for a really comfortable grip when using the hammer grip.

Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: