Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

A bit of thread necromancy here, but I ran across some pictures that I wanted to post.

There were elements of this sword that were perceived as likely inconsistent - most likely because they weren't seen in well known surviving examples or well known period art. One of those perceived inconsistencies was the matching of the Type V1 pommel with a Style 5 cross. Arguably, the pictures I'm posting shows such a pairing, although I think the blade may fall into type XIX rather than XV - there seems to be a ricasso, rather than a full-sharp blade to the hilt; also, as it's difficult to see the cross section from these pictures, the profile taper could suggest a type XVIII similar to the Albion Kingmaker/Burgundian blade, but I'm still leaning toward XIX.

But, on to the furniture. In looking at the renderings and descriptions of examples of the various types in the myArmoury feature "Ewert Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy" (http://myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott3.html), the pommel on the pictured sword (the one in the center of each picture), might be considered a type T1, but the rounded edges are more in line with a V1. It is difficult to tell if the pommel is more or less flat (T1 characteristic) or has more of a convex profile (V1 characteristic). It may be that the pommel pictured is a transitional form between T1 and V1 since it appears to have characteristics of both types. And while I had the flare on the Style 5 cross a little more pronounced, the profile is within the realm of probability. However, to my eye, this historic example pairs a Type V1 pommel with a Style 5 cross, as I asked Scott to do here.

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see, but I wanted to share something that may support the argument that this sword is not a pure fantasy. Still my favorite piece, and lives right next to my chair in my living room, just around the corner from the entry door - where it and it's companion rondel dagger can be deployed if necessary. ;)

Whether you agree with me or not, thanks for looking and considering the possibility.

Attachment: 46.69 KB
10527306_449983901805633_59405036390884970_n.jpg

Attachment: 45.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 49.4 KB
[ Download ]
Hi Victor.... Well it looks like I should re-link those images. Seeing this I just realized that your sword didn't get included in my current sword gallery when I changed my server. So.. will try to remedy that asap...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: