Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > advice on sword purchase. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: decided on the DSA danish         Reply with quote

Philip Richmann wrote:
Thank You to everybody who replied with advice.

I am thrilled that you have found an item that makes you happy. This is a goal shared by us all. I'm also in agreement with your process and conclusions about your assessment as to what is important to you. As for the product you chose and the needs and criteria you've expressed here, I think you've made a very good choice. Well done!

Quote:
Overall, I am extraordinarily happy with my purchase. Yes, I know that DSA gets a lot of hate from myArmoury forums, but I have concluded that it is not really founded in anything except prejudice.

I must say this is one of the most offensive things I've read on this site in a long time. Disregarding an entire group of people (of whom you asked advice, I must add!) and writing them off as merely prejudiced without any other grounding is insulting and, quite frankly, rooted in ignorance. Such a comment is indicative of a complete lack of reading the entire text presented, or difficulty in understanding it, or perhaps an application of one's own bias and/or defensiveness to it.

Those people you are labeling as being prejudiced are, by and large, couching their comments with a great deal of context. People like myself are taking a lot of time to write mindful posts with commentary grounded in experience in an effort to help people like yourself. While not every post is lavishly written with a tremendous amount of context (see mine, above), the conversations that are formed across a person's posts on the same subject are almost always full of such information. We're doing this not just because we want to help the greater community, the hobby itself, the products available to us all, etc, etc, but because we're taking time out of our lives to answer the questions that are posed to us.

Disagreeing with opinions is one thing, throwing out opinions and labeling them as bias is quite another. Writing people off simply because they do not jive with your own opinions is folly and unlikely to lead to your own personal growth.

Quote:
Most of the complaints about DSA products are with regards to their historical accuracy.

Your own words tell me that you understand at least some of the context presented to you. Such words are not merely prejudice, but are grounded with some reasoning behind them. As you note above, most of the complaints are about the products not being grounded within a historical context. This is an extremely different take-away than ungrounded prejudice and is, as a matter of fact, an expression of an informed opinion presented with reasoning. Kudos to those with informed opinions. This is exactly what we're looking for on a site like this.

ALL products are good for a specific audience. NO product is good for all audiences. It's important for us all to be able to express our opinions on subjects and provide context so that everyone is on the same page when reading them. Just as important is the expectation that we're not going to have our opinions immediately dismissed, diminished or otherwise thrown out and labeled as prejudice while ignoring all the context. Such dismissal is, in itself, the epitome of prejudice. How ironic.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword purchase was a DSA and I believe I liked it when I received it. I tried to sharpen it, with mixed results. The blade hardness appears to vary as much as the straightness varies (considerable). The DSA I got does not compare well to some other swords in the same general price range, and I can honestly say I won't buy another one. There are too many better choices. I have not yet paid $1000 or more for a sword, but certainly plan to at some point. My 'predjudice' originates from comparing the DSA to other, significantly better swords at the same price point. At the same time I'm glad you like yours, and hope you like it as much in a year or two as you do today.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I'm surprised that this has become such an argument. But I guess I'm not overly surprised, as forums tend to lean that way over time anyway.

But I'll just add my "congrats" to the list here. I'm an Albion addict, but I think any sword that fills the right niche for the right price has value for the person who wants it. So I'm very happy that you have made a purchase that is satisfying to you, because that's all that matters here. That's fantastic. Not everyone needs or wants to buy Albions, and that's just fine.

But I was hoping to see some pictures! Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's no argument here Ed, just a bit of offense rightly taken.

The OP created a thread asking for opinions, received the aforementioned opinions and disregarded them, then denigrated the opinions and experience of those from whom he solicited information in order to make himself feel better about his purchase.

It's not hard to figure out. Wink

If a man wants a DSA (or whatever) then he should buy one, after all it doesn't matter a bit in lifes big picture. Just don't ask for opinions expecting affirmation and lip service. It's a waste of everyones time and someone's likely to get their feelings hurt. Happy

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
... If a man wants a DSA (or whatever) then he should buy one, after all it doesn't matter a bit in lifes big picture. Just don't ask for opinions expecting affirmation and lip service. It's a waste of everyones time and someone's likely to get their feelings hurt. Happy

I'm relatively new here and that quote is one of the primary reasons why I registered here. The collectors that participate at myArmoury will tell what they think and why. I have found the knowledge base here to be broad and well researched.

I have seen no occasion when someone has behaved in a 'holier than thou' manner just because they may have more elaborate, higher-end collections. In fact, if one takes the time to read the reviews section here, they will see that myArmoury has covered many lower priced swords, often with very favorable conclusions. However, to come in here and what looked like to me, spoiling for a fight, was IMO not the best approach.

In the end I'm pleased that Philip likes The Dane from DSA. That what it's all about, liking what you collect.

I also encourage Philip not to let one contentious thread discourage him from further inquiries here.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > advice on sword purchase.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: