Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mike Loades, Going Medieval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
G K Vaughn

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any word on a possible DVD release? I remember really liking the Weapons That Made Britain series, and I'm quite keen to see this.
"The rifle is no more than the grip of the bayonet."

--Giuseppe Garibaldi
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don;t have H2 sadly. I liked it far more than the History channel I have, about swamp people, aliens, bigfoot and nazi's mostly. It'd be more interesting if they combined them I suspect but no more or less historical.

RPM
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Going Medieval is available on Comcast OnDemand.
Matt J.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wish I could've seen it... Don't want to have to subscribe to an internet-tv service for one show :-\.
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was actually quite pleased with the production. It was well layed out and the opinions, claims, and opinions were well supported. I really liked the test of maile armour against arrows from replica war bows

Now his claims of 700lb boars needs to be taken with a little lump of salt or two. Everything that I seen about boars holds that any animal that size are probably hybrids of boars and domestic pigs and had some human assistance to get that big. Also the make-shift boar spear was a little chincy but he probably would have had to go to someone like Owen Bush to have one custom made for the show. I think we can cut Mr. Loads a little slack on that.

On the whole, I was very happy with the production. One of the better things the History Channel has come up with.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Going Medieval" is now available to download on Amazon.com ($1.99) and iTunes ($3.99)--a steal for this excellent program. Hopefully these are available internationally and not just in the US.
Joel N

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be warned, though, that the Amazon download is only is you have a Kindle Fire (which I don't, but they gave me an immediate refund when I explained the mistake). The iTunes one works fine, and is still a good deal at 4 bucks.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
"Going Medieval" is now available to download on Amazon.com ($1.99) and iTunes ($3.99)--a steal for this excellent program. Hopefully these are available internationally and not just in the US.

Of Course not Jonathan, that would be way too convenient Happy

The only option would be for it to be available on streaming or download somewhere but since megaupload demise the cyberlocker world is upside down...
Matt J.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So far, there's no luck for those outside the states for getting Going Medieval Worried... It's weird how iTunes hates the idea of accepting money from people outside of the US (the racists!).

So, I'm REALLY hoping for everyone outside of the US that this comes to DvD, or iTunes decides it's one of their "import" products. If that didn't happen, youtube would probably be the only way anyone could see this Sad.
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I missed when the show aired the other night. So, did nazi-alien-swamp-bigfoots invent sword-fighting or not?
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, Jon, but there were no aliens or big foots (big feet?) in this one. It was really very good and well done, with the exception of a rather ridiculous boar spear (can't have everything). It shows that even the History Channel can get it right occasionally. One the whole, it was much better than a recent show on the Vikings that was put one by the National Geographic Channel. I guess that it was too much to try to educate the public that the Vikings were an occupational group and not an ethnic group.
William P

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ive also seen mikes facebook page, the responses he gives are true to mikes style, lots of info jam packed into a small space, he even seems to channel his typical enthusiasm as he writes.'

oh and the fact he had tobias capwell on his team.. means i am a LOT more confident about the show, although i know some of you guys have seen it.
mike has charisma and passion, but if he has a man like toby capwell whoes doe such amazingly extensive work on knights means that mike is in good hands

thats the other thing ive noticed which probably helps why his shows turn out great,

he seems to consult and utilise top quality people and equiptment for his experimentation, like the royal military college of science, and the armourer known as 'emris' i hear emris is supposedly well informed on armour.
José-Manuel Benito

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel N wrote:
Be warned, though, that the Amazon download is only is you have a Kindle Fire (which I don't, but they gave me an immediate refund when I explained the mistake). The iTunes one works fine, and is still a good deal at 4 bucks.

Matt J. wrote:
So far, there's no luck for those outside the states for getting Going Medieval Worried... It's weird how iTunes hates the idea of accepting money from people outside of the US (the racists!).

Anyway, iTunes edition of "Going Medieval" only can be purchased from US, and has Apple DRM protection, so it can only be watched in iTunes app or on Apple devices.

There are several solutions: one is to have an American iTunes account, although you don't lives in US, then you must use the app Requiem 3.3, that breaks Apple's DRM protection (this is completely legal). Requiem can be used both in eBooks, as in songs and movies purchased from iTunes Store, and that may be exported to any device or any media player.

Get a U.S. iTunes Account Anywhere In the World, How To
How to create a US iTunes App Store account when you're not in the US

Requiem 3.3 Cracks iBook’s DRM

Regards

Ecce, iam meum patrem video
Ecce, iam meam matrem video
Ecce, iam meas sorores ac meos fratres video
Ecce, iam meam gentem totam ab initio video
Ecce illi me iam vocant
Et illi me rogant meum locum inter se accipere
Apud Averni portas sunt
Ubi viri fortes æterne vivant
Matt J.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much Big Grin.

Something Mike posted. Apparently they're doing some looting on a TV show, and there's a petition to stop it: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-spike-tv...tive-past#
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Mikes Loades - Going Medieval - now available on DVD!         Reply with quote

For all of us living outside the USA who want to see this wonderful programme, I see it is now available to pre-order on DVD, by going to the History Channel shop at the below link:

Date set for release and dispatch of the DVD is 2nd April 2012 according to the link.

http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=368456&a...story#tabs
Matt J.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome Big Grin! I'll have to see about pre-ordering, and get myself those neat clips that were cut out.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent documentary.

With a little efforts, it can be found in HD on Usenet for those outside the US...
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just bought a copy from Amazon for like $2.. They have a free app to watch it on ipads or iphones
Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Watched this the other day on my work iPad*.

http://www.mikeloades.co.uk/cms/index.php?opt...;Itemid=44

Really impressive. I don't agree with Mike Loades on everything (I don't quite buy his theory on longbow archery being mostly point blank - though I know it is in vogue right now in certain circles) and I'm not a fanboy for any re-enactment celebrity types. But I thought the show was outstanding.

Highlights for me:

Seeing the human 'hampster wheel' powered crane in action at Guedelon castle.
Seeing tag-team archery through an arrow-slit at Guedelon castle.
Seeing horses (I think, Icelandic ponies?) doing the 'ambling' gait for extended periods. Through the woods. Really liked that.
Seeing a medieval meal of baked Pike. More interesting than it sounds.
Seeing the primitive 14th Century 'bottle' cannon shooting a springel arrow
Seeing the 15th Century 'stave and hoop' breech loading cannon in action (firing several shots)

Plus loads of other stuff packed into an all-too-short format. I even liked the parts with the Trebuchet though I'm a bit bored with them by now. I would have loved to see more late-Medieval bits, and more Central / Northern / Southern European (Italy, Flanders, Germany, Bohemia, Poland, the Baltic, Scandinavia) but we could see that in the next 'episode'. There is so much more he could cover.

I gather the thing wasn't rated all that high, and I like many others in our general milieaux don't agree 100% with Mike Loades, but this was ten times better than any other Medieval documentary I can remember seeing. My message to The History Channel (and anyone else listening) is:

MOAR Mike Loades!

*You can buy this from Amazon for like $3 and watch it on various devices.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mike Loades, Going Medieval
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: