Leather belt attachment to a wooden scabbard?
I have a wooden scabbard for my sword, which I've heard is still historically accurate. However, I have no idea how to properly attach it to my belt. I've wrapped the belt around it twice which holds it in place when I walk around faires and the like, but whenever I run it giggles loose. Is there any method of wrapping my belt around it in a way that will keep it out of the way yet still firmly at my side. Preferably, this would be a historically accurate method for the 12th century, but function is the primary focus. Any help any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
IF your sword/scabard are high medieval (and your question about attaching a leather belt *to* the scabbard makes me think so), then a bare wood scabbard is not the way to go. I do not know of *any* cases with bare wood scabbards for swords from this time period. On the other hand, you have a wood scabbard that could be used as a core. Cover it with leather and proceed normally, by cutting slits in the covering leather and lace the belt through these slits. I think there are many threads on the forum describing the process.
Years back I put together a tutorial on how to do this, and since it has been circulated on the internet. Many make laced scabbards this way today.

Good luck and please show us the result!

Peter
How about fabric covering? I think I somewhere heard of velvet covered rapier scabbards, and I have seen iron age linen wrapped wood cores. But are there any examples of textiles used in the period between?
Quote:
IF your sword/scabard are high medieval (and your question about attaching a leather belt *to* the scabbard makes me think so), then a bare wood scabbard is not the way to go. I do not know of *any* cases with bare wood scabbards for swords from this time period. On the other hand, you have a wood scabbard that could be used as a core. Cover it with leather and proceed normally, by cutting slits in the covering leather and lace the belt through these slits. I think there are many threads on the forum describing the process.

I had thought about doing that, but I don't think I'll be able to get the metal fittings it came with to fit over the leather and the wood.
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Years back I put together a tutorial on how to do this, and since it has been circulated on the internet. Many make laced scabbards this way today.

Good luck and please show us the result!

Peter

Could you post a link to your tutorial?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: