Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Maximillian Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In regard to the ricasso and leather coverings, see Marozzo 1536 or 1568 - how to hold your sword against pole weapons:

Another great looking Albion sword there.

Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I also got word about this sword. Mine might be in the first batch. I'm very excited about this one!

T. Arndt wrote:
I'm hoping for a review of this sword by someone who has handled the A&A 15th Century Two-handed Sword. I'm really interested in how they compare.

I can't tell you how they compare until I have the Maximillian, but I can tell you that the A&A one has quite a lot of blade presence, and isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's quite historical, and in fact I've handled a number of antiques that handle pretty much exactly like it, but it isn't what you'd call a "lively" blade. I personally love it, as it really is representative of many full sized two handed swords of the period, but it's not a weapon of subtlety. Happy

Hi Bill, for the record I have had the honour of playing with the original in the Wallace Collection - even got to swing it around somewhat. As you say, it is a bit of a beast. It has a LOT of blade presence, far more than any 16thC German two-hander I have handled (and in fact we were playing with one of their 16thC examples on the same day and it was about as different to handle as you could imagine).

Matt

Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that that this will be my next Albion after my Castellan arrives.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello sirs and madames:

I bought my first sword recently (Albion Gaddhjalt), and when I picked it up yesterday I was allowed to hold the Maximillian sans grip--but with all other hilt components in place. I can say that I have rarely--if ever--seen a sword so striking, in both form and feel. It is easy to hold, comfortable to swing, and looks fantastic. Normally, zweihänder-esque swords aren't particularly appealing to me (little 5'9'' guy, 150 lbs), but I SERIOUSLY considered putting down the deposit and buying it. It really resembles a big cat: very large and strong, with a definite presence, but moves in an easy manner that might seem out of place. I was comfortable enough with the heft, balance and power to be willing to take it to a theoretical battle or duel, or to do something as abusive as chop a door down--the perfect combination of fluid grace and real power. The hilt furniture was polished bright in raised areas, and darkened in the creases, creating an effect not unlike etched or antiqued silver.

Beautiful piece.

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
Hi Bill, for the record I have had the honour of playing with the original in the Wallace Collection - even got to swing it around somewhat. As you say, it is a bit of a beast. It has a LOT of blade presence, far more than any 16thC German two-hander I have handled (and in fact we were playing with one of their 16thC examples on the same day and it was about as different to handle as you could imagine).

That's very cool info, Matt. Thanks! I've always admired the original looks, but never knew what it was actually like.

Yeah, I've handled several of the two handers in the Veste Coburg, as well as quite a number from various private collections, and as you say, the handling characteristics really go all across the board. Some are massive, feeling like they'll blast through anything but are going to require serious training to be able to recover and effectively, while others are fast and lively, feeling like big versions of my Albion Meyer. As modern collectors, we tend to prefer the latter, but it's important that we understand that people also chose to use the former in period as well.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely. This is why most of the replica swords I get these days are based precisely on a historical example (I'm just putting a grip on one at the moment), because I would rather work with implements that they thought were right, rather than try and decide in the 21st century what I think is right.

That Wallace Collection example would probably not appeal to many modern fencers if it were a replica, but it felt like a good alternative to a pollaxe!

Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok I am going to have to ammend my previous post. My next sword after my castellan arrives will not be this sword. Fifteen hundred is too steep for me
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I also got word about this sword. Mine might be in the first batch. I'm very excited about this one!

T. Arndt wrote:
I'm hoping for a review of this sword by someone who has handled the A&A 15th Century Two-handed Sword. I'm really interested in how they compare.

I can't tell you how they compare until I have the Maximillian, but I can tell you that the A&A one has quite a lot of blade presence, and isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's quite historical, and in fact I've handled a number of antiques that handle pretty much exactly like it, but it isn't what you'd call a "lively" blade. I personally love it, as it really is representative of many full sized two handed swords of the period, but it's not a weapon of subtlety. Happy

Hey Bill,

I see that you have the Maximillian now Happy
So how do they compare?

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Hey Bill,

I see that you have the Maximillian now Happy
So how do they compare?

Sorry, I keep forgetting to respond to this. Jean Thibadeau asked me the same question, and I responded here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=246452#246452

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Maximillian
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: