Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Enemy...Rust Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: The Enemy...Rust         Reply with quote

While cleaning my Kevin Cashen sword last week, I noticed what looked like dirt or oil on the edge. I tried cleaning it with denatured alcohol, then MetalGLo polishing paste. No avail. When I held the edge to the light I noticed some pitting. To my horror I think I have some kid of corrosion going on Worried It is only happening on one spot along the edge and is about as large as a grain of powder. I sent Kevin Cashen the photos posted below and he agrees that it is some aggrssive corrosion. I am at a loss. I rarely cut with this sword and clean it at least once a month. It stays with a good coating of mineral oil. The only two things I can figure is that either someone has been fingering the edge or the cleaning lady sprayed it with something. Anyone have any ideas? Kevin graciously told me to send the blade back to him and he'd see what he could do about getting it out. Kevin is a great guy like that. But I would like to figure out what caused this in the first place. Any clues guys? The blade material is Crucible L6. As you can imagine I am worried about this problem as this is a one-of-a-kind blade.

Joel

Attachment: 17.42 KB
andurilsmall.jpg
A full shot of Anduril

Attachment: 20.66 KB
DSCN2973.JPG
The pitting from the enemy!
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't claim to be any authority on corrosion, Joel; but that doesn't look like a 'natural' kind of pitting - at least not any I've seen. Without pointing fingers at your cleaning lady, I'd say the blade has come into contact with some kind of chemical. What that might be, or what you might do about it, I do not know. In the meantime, I'd examine the area around which you display the sword to see if a likely scenario of explanation presents itself - for example, one in which the sword is accidentally exposed to an aerosol. Even deodorant spray can damage certain materials like you wouldn't believe.

Just a little speculation - I hope some more knowledgeable people are better able to shed some light on your problem.

By the way, I have to add that Anduril is a stunner! I remember when she was just a twinkle in your eye and a project on Kevin's waiting list - I've only recently seen the finished piece. Incredible sword - I have no doubt you're very proud of her.
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has the sword been in the same room as people opening cans of any sort of soda? I know that the phosphoric acid in most of the 'dark drinks' is relatively potent.
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course, it is not any worse than what you might get by smashing the helm of an Orc ...

Oops - that is more of an off topic post.

How is the sword displayed? Is it in contact with anything or does it "hang free"?
I tend to keep the swords that have scabbards in them, and then get them out once a week or so and wipe them down with a silicon cloth. I figure the additional safety and protection is worth the slight risk that moisture will form inside the scabbard in that length of time. I would be very interested to know what the culprit was if you discover it.

Gordon
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Display method         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Of course, it is not any worse than what you might get by smashing the helm of an Orc ...

Oops - that is more of an off topic post.

How is the sword displayed? Is it in contact with anything or does it "hang free"?
I tend to keep the swords that have scabbards in them, and then get them out once a week or so and wipe them down with a silicon cloth. I figure the additional safety and protection is worth the slight risk that moisture will form inside the scabbard in that length of time. I would be very interested to know what the culprit was if you discover it.

Gordon

The sword actually is dislpayed on the Argonath ststues that came with the Fellowship of the Ring Special Edition. I have some green felt pads soaked with mideral oil where the blade makes contact. Thing is, the place where this is happening is not where the blade makes contact with the felt stands. At this point, my suspicion is either someone fingering the blade or the cleaning lady. All in all this spot is not large, but I noticed it. The pic below kinda gives a perspective of how large the spot is in relation to the blade ( as you can see the fuller). I am shipping it out to Kevin Monday and I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

Attachment: 24.89 KB
DSCN2968.JPG
More of the blade and the corrosion.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

L6 corrodes a bit like 5160, ie it ussually corrodes on the surface. Pitting ussually means that some chemical, natural or synthetic, has come into contact with the blade........

But the good news is that Kevin will be able to get it out with just a touch up of the edge {I'm pretty sure}........

You know, if its the cleaning lady, it might have been some overspray several feet away. Its possible that you'll never know for sure.......

You may wind up cleaning and reoiling more often..........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Gus         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
L6 corrodes a bit like 5160, ie it ussually corrodes on the surface. Pitting ussually means that some chemical, natural or synthetic, has come into contact with the blade........

But the good news is that Kevin will be able to get it out with just a touch up of the edge {I'm pretty sure}........

You know, if its the cleaning lady, it might have been some overspray several feet away. Its possible that you'll never know for sure.......

You may wind up cleaning and reoiling more often..........

Auld Dawg

YOu don't know how much I am reassured by your statements. The close-ups make the pits look a lot larger than they actually are. Still, I really appreaciate Kevin doing this for me. Let me say also that Gus has helped me out too with a cracked handle. This is why our small community is such a joy to be in. Now I don't know what I could do as a favor for Kevin or Gus. but I know I would not hesitate to try if they asked me. Great guys all around here. Gus as far as the cleaning lady goes, I am thinking now about a plexi/acrylic, glass case to slip over the sword to protect it. Funny but my other swords are handing horizontally on wall display plaques I made myself. Anudril is on a similar plaque bit lies flat on my bookcase with the Argonath statues holding the sword up. I guess it looks very presentable, but people seem to want to touch Anduril more than any other sword. Or maybe it's just more accessable. Anyhow, I may be overracting about this adn probably take this out with a file or some fine sand paper, but I just don't feel comfortable enough to attept soemthign like that on this sword. Those of you who followed this project on SFI from 1999 to 2002, know how dear to my heart this sword is. Anyways, I have full confidence that Kevin will remedy this situation. I'll keep everyone posted. In the meanwhile, here are some more shots of hwo I display the sword, though I don't keep it in the scabbard while it's on the Argonath statues.

Attachment: 44.54 KB
DSCN2009small.jpg
A shot of the sword lying in the display box.

Attachment: 25.63 KB
DSCN2001small.jpg
Another shot of the oak box. Boiled lineseed oil really makes the oak pretty!

Attachment: 27.49 KB
anduril scabbard.jpg
The sword is placed on teh statues without the scabbard, felt pads hold the blade.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Enemy...Rust
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic