Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > In Progress sword by Jeff Helmes!!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Tim and Jeff on your new sword - it's worked out beautifully as I knew it would. Its interesting that Jeff 'came along' just as Michael Pikula has decided to stop taking commissions. Its like that saying; nature abhors a vacuum.

Regarding your collection Tim (and its almost sickening to realize this is actually just part of your collection): what a line up! Every one a beautiful piece, custom-made by top notch artists from all over North America and Europe. If anyone has a finer collection of modern replicas from this era, I sure don't know about it. You have set the bar high my friend!

Unfortunately Professor Moriarty has gone into semi-retirement for a while, owing to stretched finances and general exhaustion (as already explained elsewhere), but I hope he will be back to keep you on your toes in the next year or two.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I call for the opening of the "Tim Lison Museum of Viking and Early Medieval Swords". Happy

So Tim, how about a worthy seax to accompany your stellar sword collection? Wink
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword is FANTASTIC!! Eek!

Congratulations Tim!
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim, your new sword looks every bit the equal of the Patrick Barta one that's next to it in the picture. And that's really saying something. Jeff is an amazing smith.

Also, I'll cannot begin to tell you how much I covet your collection haha.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I call for the opening of the "Tim Lison Museum of Viking and Early Medieval Swords". Happy

So Tim, how about a worthy seax to accompany your stellar sword collection? Wink

Ha! I have a few nice seaxes. I'd have included them but the cream of the seax crop is at Christian Fletcher for a nice sheath right now.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments and observations!
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just found this thread... To say I am deeply envious would be an understatement.

Wow, that is an amazing sword and collection you have.

I think I know who I will be going to for some work in the future. The inlay came out amazing, and that sword is quite similar to one that I would like to have a custom smith make for me. An +INOMINEDOMINI+ inlaid type X from Mr. Helmes is now my dream sword...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
I just found this thread... To say I am deeply envious would be an understatement.

I think I know who I will be going to for some work in the future. The inlay came out amazing, and that sword is quite similar to one that I would like to have a custom smith make for me. An +INOMINEDOMINI+ inlaid type X from Mr. Helmes is now my dream sword...

Great idea!

I thought that INOMINEDOMINI examples were type XIs.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Great idea!

INOMINEDOMINI is found on swords of all types in the 11th C...

Just using swords found on this site:

Here is an Type X with an INOMINEDOMINI inlay
X.7 From the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Downing College, Cambridge

An Xa that has an INOMINEDOMINI inlay:
Xa.2 From a Private Collection, once owned by Oakeshott

Not to take this any further off track... I really really like how this project turned out. An INGELRII inlaid Gaddhjalt like this has long been on my wishlist. This piece will definitely place Mr. Helmes on the top of my list to contact if it ever looks like I am in a position to make such wishes a reality...

Tim Lison

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Robin-

Thanks for the compliment on the collection! Jeff was great to work with! I'm sure he would do that inlay justice. Make sure you post photos of it when it's done!
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Robin-

Thanks for the compliment on the collection! Jeff was great to work with! I'm sure he would do that inlay justice. Make sure you post photos of it when it's done!
Hah... It'll be awhile. Laughing Out Loud I just blew all my "fun money" budget on another Albion and commissioned a scabbard from Brian at DBK. And we're planning on doing another scabbard in a few months.

But should I win the lottery, or perhaps if fortunes shift I would definitely do so in a heart beat. Of course if I did so it would be my crowning jewel, not one amongst many superlative pieces in a magnificent collection.

I'm so jealous... Did I mention that? Big Grin

Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Great idea!

INOMINEDOMINI is found on swords of all types in the 11th C...

Just using swords found on this site:

Here is an Type X with an INOMINEDOMINI inlay
X.7 From the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Downing College, Cambridge

An Xa that has an INOMINEDOMINI inlay:
Xa.2 From a Private Collection, once owned by Oakeshott

Not to take this any further off track... I really really like how this project turned out. An INGELRII inlaid Gaddhjalt like this has long been on my wishlist. This piece will definitely place Mr. Helmes on the top of my list to contact if it ever looks like I am in a position to make such wishes a reality...

Thanks for that,

This shows me what happens when you haven't looked into something for a long time and then form your own memories regarding an issue!

Happy
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
But should I win the lottery, or perhaps if fortunes shift I would definitely do so in a heart beat. Of course if I did so it would be my crowning jewel, not one amongst many superlative pieces in a magnificent collection.

I can't speak for Jeff of course, but I think that if you are buying combinations of Albion swords and DBK scabbards, he is not out of your league for a relatively simple project...yet! I expect that might change as more and more people discover him. Sad

By the way, Jeff and I have another one in the works, but its too soon to talk about it.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

I can't speak for Jeff of course, but I think that if you are buying combinations of Albion swords and DBK scabbards, he is not out of your league for a relatively simple project...yet! I expect that might change as more and more people discover him. Sad

By the way, Jeff and I have another one in the works, but its too soon to talk about it.
Perhaps... But that was my fun budget for the next little while. Maybe in a few months I'll be in position to give Mr. Helmes a call...

It would be really cool... Cool I'm gonna have to plot and scheme about this. Y'all are a bad influence.

Tim Lison

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Moriarty strikes again! Not even a hint Doug?
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Moriarty strikes again! Not even a hint Doug?

OK Holmes, here's a few teasers:

- Another big XII, this time with an inscription
- late into my period, so likely past yours
- unusual pommel, hard to categorize
- has appeared in some famous exhibits but no popular English texts to my knowledge
- to our knowledge, has never been replicated

I had to sell a few swords to raise the funds for this, but well worth it I'm sure. By the way, between last fall and now, Jeff's wait time has risen from 'two days' to a few months, even though he quit his part-time job, so its a sign people are catching on quickly.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You two are bad... Very bad... If my wife ends up decapitating me, use this thread as evidence and know in your heart that its your fault. Laughing Out Loud
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
You two are bad... Very bad... If my wife ends up decapitating me, use this thread as evidence and know in your heart that its your fault. Laughing Out Loud

Sounds like the game's afoot, Watson! (Sorry Tim, that should have been your line).
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Sounds like the game's afoot, Watson! (Sorry Tim, that should have been your line).
Perhaps... Big Grin

No seriously, I contacted Jeff and everything sounds like a go. I will have to sacrifice a few guns from my collection to fund it, but I haven't been shooting much recently anyway. I've got a couple of ideas but haven't decided exactly what. For now it will have to remain a mystery. Wink

Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Perhaps... Big Grin

No seriously, I contacted Jeff and everything sounds like a go. I will have to sacrifice a few guns from my collection to fund it, but I haven't been shooting much recently anyway. I've got a couple of ideas but haven't decided exactly what. For now it will have to remain a mystery. Wink

We got him Doug! Robin, your wife will be nothing but pleased when she sees the great work Jeff does...(Maybe?)
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Perhaps... Big Grin

We got him Doug! Robin, your wife will be nothing but pleased when she sees the great work Jeff does...(Maybe?)
No, she will. She's loves history. I married her because she helps sew soft kit by hand and she looks good in a 11th C veil to boot. Wink

She also thinks swords are much cooler than guns. So if this project shrinks my gun collection to acquire a sword she will be happy with that.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > In Progress sword by Jeff Helmes!!!
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: