Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rob Roy
For those interested this Liam Neeson movie is on tonight, 4 Jan., on ION at 8 pm EST.
( I love to see him whop that Fop.)
I recently found it on Blu Ray at Best Buy for $10.
Repeat at 10pm on ION West

This is a film that has been due for air time. Hopefully it will be as common as Heat and a few others kind of run into the ground

Cheers

GC
What a coincidence... They showed this two nights ago on TV here in New Zealand!

It was my first time seeing it.
Does anyone know if the Duke's Man in this movie is the same actor who played Baron Piss-n-vinegar in Ironclad?
D. Phillip Caron wrote:
Does anyone know if the Duke's Man in this movie is the same actor who played Baron Piss-n-vinegar in Ironclad?

Do you mean Tim Roth?

[ Linked Image ]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000619/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Roth

Aside from Reservoir Dogs, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead has been a much watched film with him I have liked. Don't forget Pulp Fiction.

Cheers

GC
after watching the final duel scene on youtube, i am definaterly interested in seeing that movie.
Great movie!!!

One of the coolest threads I've seen on a sword forum was when a restorer was commissioned to restore Rob Roy's sword. He then tracked down the sword used against Rob Roy in the duel which resulted in his eventual death and photographed the two swords together!
Tim Roth played Archibald. I mean the man who Rob Roy's wife stabbed in the neck. Was that person the Baron in Ironclad?
The character "Cunningham" played by Tim Roth, really existed although he was a Lowland Scot, not English. His real name was Henry Cunninghame of Boquhan and he was, by existing accounts, a "fop". Rob was at a party given by John Buchanan when he met Cunninghame, about whom he made a disparaging remark. Cunninghame took exception and challenged Rob to a duel. The fop's friends, who were afraid that Rob Roy would cut Cunninghame to shreds, hid his sword prior to the appointed time for the meeting but Henry managed to find an old, rusted blade, arrived at the field on time and immediately attacked. Rob was taken by surprise, gave ground and was finally driven from the field although no blood was spilled.

This was probably the only time Rob was bested in single-combat, other than his final fight with Alisdair Stewart of Invernahyle, which is referred to in a previous post. That one was fought with target and broadsword but Rob was cut and that ended the fight. Not long after he died.

I really liked the movie as well, and feel that it was far more historically accurate than Braveheart, which made all the money and got the awards that year. The storyline and some of the events are protrayed correctly but not the "reltationship" between Montrose and Cunninghame - which did not exist - nor the duel. In addition, it is fairly certain that "Alan" MacDonald - whose first name is not recorded in history - did abscond with the money received from Montrose and was never found afterward.

Attachment: 184.97 KB
Saltireswords2.jpg

i saw his home place and burial when i was in Scotland. beautiful country
One of my favorite films! I have viewed it so many times, I´ve just about worn out my DVD player.

In the photo above, ¿which sword is Rob Roy´s ?
D. Phillip Caron wrote:
Tim Roth played Archibald. I mean the man who Rob Roy's wife stabbed in the neck. Was that person the Baron in Ironclad?

Brian Cox,

I was/am unfamiliar with his work in Ironclad (don't know the film). Agamemnon in Troy, he has done a lot of work.

Cheers

GC
The sword with hilt on the left in the photo is Rob's. Note that the other sword has a broadsword blade that has had the upper edge ground off, converting i to a backsword.

--ElJay
Jim S. wrote:
One of my favorite films! I have viewed it so many times, I´ve just about worn out my DVD player.

In the photo above, ¿which sword is Rob Roy´s ?

On our left

The myArmoury and SFI threads

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11723

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?80548

Cheers

GC
LOVE the film! I didn't much care for Liam Neeson before seeing this fifteen years ago, but now I watch everything he stars in. Notice how much wider a blade Rob's sword has - I wonder if it was slower, giving his opponent faster cuts? Quite amazing his sword was found and still exists!
what? how could you not love him in Krull?
ahhahahah, I loved his delivery of his line.
D. Phillip Caron wrote:
. Was that person the Baron in Ironclad?

Yes.
He was Wallace's uncle in Braveheart in the same year.
Brian Cox never seems to be looking for work. I believe he is in every other movie that I see. Another Braveheart alumnus, Brendan Gleeson, is even more active, and versatile.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: